Posted: Jun 7th 2010 12:55PM DancingTaco said

Lets hope she actually has or will play the game more than Steefel did. His Mirkwood E3 video is terrible. I like most of the devs at Turbine, but was always feeling put out by Mr. Steefel's leadership. Here is hoping for better things with Kate in charge.:)

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 1:41PM pcgneurotic said

What's the "new project" Steefel's moving to?

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 1:50PM (Unverified) said

Based on the information we have been given so far, we can assume its name consists of a combination of letters from the English alphabet and it deals with entertainment of the interactive kind.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 12:54AM Teiraa said

Might be Harry Potter online...

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 1:45PM Lobotomist said

I would not be so fast to critic Steefel. He created LOTRO which we can all agree is a great MMO. First two years were great. Constant updates , new content. Very focused and listening to the community (sometimes even to much)

He is a great producer. And I am more than glad he is moved to next secret project, cause it means it will be great game too.

As for Kate. She is dedicated and really loves DDO. Its a good news for LOTRO

WIN WIN

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 2:43PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
So... LOTRO is going to be DDO2. STILL with same crappy animations ? They did not improve in DDO at least. But hey - thats probably why they are going F2P. The game isn't better quality than that.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 2:48PM ScottishViking said

Steefel has always been the community's whipping boy. He often didn't help this image by doing interviews which were either misleading or flat-out contradictory of what was happening.

On the other hand, he was still present, and we can assume LEADING, during LOTRO's greatest years. So while he may have had a dubious public face -- a shame, since that was his JOB -- I think it's fair to say he probably led the team pretty well during those years.

Steefel: A Mixed Bag

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 3:54PM EdmundDante said

Here's wishing Kate and Jeffrey the best in their new jobs at Turbine.

I just have one small message for Kate: Monster Play!! (heh)

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
This is complete corporate crap. Where's the new content? Rohan? Isengard? Last fall Turbine put out the mini-expansion, Mirkwood, and nothing since. Do you think we'll get some new content in the fall? Hell no! A new game engine and boatloads of bugs. And paying for skirmishes...OMFG!!! But you can be a VIP....oooooh neato! VIP at a Megadeth show is cool. Getting screwed after playing a MMO since Beta and titled VIP is major BS!!!

*personal attacks deleted by editor*

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 4:45PM EdmundDante said

Dude getta grip on yourself! It's not like many of us don't have an axe to grind in regards to LOTRO - but overall, I would say the game was/is a pretty remarkable achievement. (My opinion though.)

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 7:02PM JaySpeed said

Someone needs a hug or to go for a walk or something! Calm down man. It's only a game. Besides, we got volume 3 book 1 in the spring so there has been content since Mirkwood launched. Not as much as I'd like but it's more than NOTHING. Also they announced Edenwaith is coming in the fall update with volume 3 book 2. I'm EXCITED for the DX11 update coming too. We will be getting lots of good stuff when F2P launches. I'd recommend you sign up for beta and try it out before you say the sky is falling.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 5:47PM Seffrid said

Actually a lot of us don't have any axe to grind at all where LoTRO is concerned. Some others do, but mostly because they confuse it with a PvP or endgame-based MMO which (thankfully) it is not nor was it ever intended to be.

I wish both Kate Paiz and Jeffrey Steefel the best of luck in their new endeavours, and as the holder of two lifetime accounts I look forward to the new direction of the game in the Autumn, I'm sure it will prove to be a great success.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 6:15PM EdmundDante said

I wonder why there is confusion? Maybe because there was PvP and Monster Play in the first place?

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 6:19PM EdmundDante said

Or maybe some of us spent the money we were paying Turbine to pay LOTRO should have been invested only in LOTRO, and not be used to develop DDO as well?

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 4:16AM (Unverified) said

Random speculation, unless you're saying you have access to the company's financial data in which case, as the saying goes, pix or it didn't happen.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 1:04AM Teiraa said

Hum, I'm not happy about the cash shop coming to LotRo, so I cannot really say that I am happy that the new executive producer of LotRo is bragging about her previous "F2P" experience.
Still wish her luck though.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 3:21AM pcgneurotic said

*stares blankly*

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 8:38AM Seffrid said

Turbine originally had no intention of including any form of PvP because it was totally contrary to the spirit of the game, but they subsequently buckled under pressure from PvP'ers and introduced a very weak form of it with Monster Play which understandable disappoints many traditional PvP'ers.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 1:24PM EdmundDante said

On the contrary - Monster play is still strong today and many LOTRO PvP'rs have not been disappointed with Monster Play as they continue to play it.

Many have been disappointed however with Turbines' consistent refusal to put more effort into substantially expanding Monster Play and develop it to what many of us believe has enormous potential.

I believe this part of LOTRO could generate a huge market - given just how popular PvP has been for other MMOs and simply gaming in general. The fundamentals are there - but Turbine has put their PvP on a starvation diet now for the last two years.

And instead they pursued more PvE combat with their "skirmishes".

There is this underlying vision and assumption that PvP cannot or will not work with LOTRO. I disagree. I think it is a growth opportunity waiting to happen given enough vision and more attention. And can indeed create more revenue and an increased player base if pursued.

Eve Online just recently had 60,000 players on at the same time. Eve is primarily PvP centric.

Posted: Jun 8th 2010 2:37PM Birk said

I've never played LOTRO, but I can tell you this - monster play is the most interesting MMO concept I've heard about in ages.

I'm just being whimsical; but I think that it would be a fantastic idea to allow you to just jump in to the actual game world whenever you felt like it as a monster. Depending on which zone you chose to inhabit, your level would be chosen accordingly (perhaps slightly above average mob level).

Your monster persona would not be restricted to one type, and there would be no advancement. You would simply log on when you felt the urge to go out and gank yourself some hobbits, choose to be an Uruk'hai, choose your zone, and have some fun. Join up with some friends and take over a questing zone.

Ahh my idea has plenty of flaws, I'm sure. But a guy can dream.
| 1 | 2 |

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM