Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:08AM (Unverified) said

Disappointed you didn't mention Hellgate in the "flare up and burn out quickly" list :-p (Or was that an intentional omission since it is coming back?)

I'm not so sure about anything that's out there right now, however I would say TERA. Mr Westernisation and Scapes do not a good game make.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:21AM Orvidos said

My urge is to say Warhammer. It's slowly circling the drain, but seems to have steadied a bit.

Man, I honestly can't decide. . .

*Five minutes of mental perusing later*

How's Lineage (1) looking these days?

*Shrugs* I honestly can't think of anything that isn't making enough profit to warrant it shutting down entirely.

Although, I could cheat and say Lord of the Rings Online will be shutting down soon. It will be replaced by Lord of the Rings Online: Extravagant Name of Awesome. :D

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:22AM Starry said

SWG has been on SOE Station Access Pass Life Support for a long, long time. That plug would have been pulled if it were an independent game. As it is, half the servers have closed and well over half the remaining servers are empty. The release of SW:TOR will give this game the mercy killing that has eluded it for so long.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:42AM (Unverified) said

1 word.... WAGHHHHHHHH!......

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:53AM ZoneOuT said

A game that might be seeing its lat days.. hmm I say Pirates of the Burning Sea do people still play that?

As for Warhammer.. If there was ONE game that screams make me into F2P and go the D&D route its this one. Lets face it Warhammer is only fun when well populated and I think this is the only option Warhammer has to survive.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:00AM Orvidos said

People still play PotBS. Hell, it's got an expansion incoming.

And Tier 1 WAR is packed to the brim. You'll never guess why. Now if only they could stop losing T4 players (the people paying for most of it, I'd imagine) to free T1, they'd be all set.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:06AM Syesta said

I have a feeling Mortal Online will flare (maybe) and die rather quickly.
From what I've played of the beta, the game needs a fair amount more time in the oven. They are being very ambitious with their sandbox design and release schedule, and I fear they may suffer for going through with it as it is now.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:12AM Enaris said

I'd have to say Asheron's Call. Lots of good candidates out there, and AC is kind of "buried" in terms of people even thinking about it, but I think that the big boys at Time-Warner will look at Turbine's balance sheet and say "can't the people who are working on this (both of them) be put to better use on something that makes money?"

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:14AM Seffrid said

Alganon, closely followed by Allods Online.

Hopefully. Neither deserves to survive in a marketplace already over-crowded with mediocre games created by duplicitous and scheming developers.

And no, I haven't been hurt by either of those games, just stunned from what I've read about the way they (and their communities) have been handled, and amazed that they're still around.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 10:12AM (Unverified) said

i couldn't agree more on both accounts... the last thing the the MMO community needs is another WoW clone led by a company which makes headlines through the use of douchebaggery rather than by making quality decisions regarding gameplay. hard to believe there are currently (at least!) 2 games which fit this description.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:16AM pcgneurotic said

I have the feeling that moving from full-sub to F2P will be the new 'make it or break it' stage for mmogs. So instead of predicting what I think will die next, I'm going to say that Warhammer is going to be the next to go F2P-Item Shop. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan, and I don't want it to die.

btw, Justin, that was the funniest entry I've seen for aaaggeeesss. :D Top marks for making me laugh my nuts off! :D

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 10:18AM Tom in VA said

I think you have a point, Neurotic. It still steams me that Tabula Rasa did not get the "medical emergency" F2P treatment, just to see if it could have been saved.

I would have said the next MMO to go F2P woulda been LotRO, but no, wait...

Now, I'm thinking it might be AoC or (better!) STO. I'd probably try either of these games if they went F2P.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:21AM Wisdomandlore said

Asheron's Call is getting a graphical update soon. Doesn't look like it will die anytime soon.

I would actually say half of the F2P games that were released last year will die this year. There are just too many (and most of them are bad or mediocre). The market can't support it.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 1:55PM ColRoofles said

I doubt that this "graphical update" is going to do anything for the game in terms of increasing its population. It's not much of an upgrade, since they're only increasing the resolution of the textures, which is basically like putting makeup on a corpse. The game's still going to look like crap (only with better textures), it's still going to run on the same outdated engine, it's still going to have the same old crappy and outdated interface/controls. Plus, it's probably going to cause problems for people with older configurations, just like the previous graphical update did.

AC is going to be kept on life support for as long as Turbine doesn't get bored with working on their pet project. What they should do, what they should've done a long time ago, is take the core features of AC1 and put them in a completely new engine (the AC2/DDO/LOTRO one would do).

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:27AM TheGreatMachine said

Vanguard. Unfortunately

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:34AM kasapina said

DAoC, Mortal Online, Lineage 1 (wow, are people still playing that one?).

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:54AM Serious Table said

I can see poor Warhammer tanking if, as mentioned above, it doesn't make a shift towards F2P. If it DOES go F2P, though, I may well download it as I've really gotten into the PvP side of this genre recently.

Star Wars Galaxies... not sure how that's still even afloat.

But as far as the far future... As soon as Blizzard drops their all-new IP and their all-new MMO, I believe the behemoth that is World of Warcraft will finally be laid to rest.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 10:32AM (Unverified) said

Star Wars Galaxies in its new form is a money maker for SOE - they won't be dumping that any time soon.

Blue Mars
Lineage
Planetside (especially when the new one comes out)

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 10:25AM Archebus said

World of Warcraft. All the warning signs are there. Only a matter of time before the studio just gives up on it and admit it has failed.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 10:44AM blomma said

WoW is the microsoft of mmo industry, it will steadily loose subs over the months/years to come and when it dies it will be with a whimper and not a bang.

And calling WoW a failure seems a bit weird to be honest, it really refined the everquest concept and took it to a whole new level of polish. Sadly somewhere along the line it became a victim of it's own success.