Posted: Jun 5th 2010 6:38PM Controlled Chaos said

I just can't bring myself to agree with the hour limit. I mean, I can spend more than an hour seeing if I like a particularly in-depth flash game. If I'm messing around with a Free to Play game, it takes more than that just to get one's bearings.

It needs to be a minimum higher than that, otherwise it just seems like number inflation on active users. It wouldn't be a particularly useful sample except to make the game's number of steady users seem far more than actual.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 6:54PM (Unverified) said

metrics that would be more useful to get a feel of environment in question and who goes there would be things like what people do while they are logged, for how long, how often they come back, duration of each session etc

Besides the stuff about how people dedicate their time, i guess things like unspun economic data, analysis about the newbies that try for a while but don't stay, stuff like people that join and keep comming to become permanent/recurrent users, if possible, stuff about everyone's life outside of the environment in question (nationality, what games they play, what they work on, age, income, likes and dislikes etc)

Saying an active user is anyone that has 60+ minutes logged per month seems too arbitrary, i'm not sure if an "active user" can be defined solely on that single measurement, specially for just one month

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 7:44PM Otenth said

I agree with Harper Beresford that dollars spent is a more useful metric for the long-term health and stability of Second Life.

Hours spent in-world may be what creates a sense of community, and involvement with that community may be what leads people to spend money, but it really isn't going to keep SL going unless it *is* resulting in money flowing into the coffers of Linden Lab.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 9:24PM (Unverified) said

Focusing on users who spend money only would miss a fundamental aspect of the Second Life environment - that is, people who spend money don't get into SL *to spend money* - they get in SL also because of their relationships with other users.
Linden Lab is directly interested in having lots of active users, even if not directly spending money, because that means more vibrant communities, and that's where spending users come from.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 9:55PM (Unverified) said

You mean, I was the only one who ANSWERED? Oh, man.. the rest of you should "die in a fire." Hmpf.

To Opensource, I think $5 a month is a very low commitment. I love the idea of community (heck, I just spent my day working for the SL community--unpaid, thanks--come to the SL7B, darn it!) but community alone won't keep the servers running.

The bottom line is Linden Lab is a business, one that needs to keep generating enough income to continue existing. "Community" is part of their business model--it's the means to the end. There is also a WoW community, a Facebook community, and an ebay community, but none of them would exist anymore without revenue.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 5:02AM (Unverified) said

@Harper - you're still missing my point, but the reason is probably my English isn't good enough to explain what I mean. Too bad.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 10:03AM (Unverified) said

@Opensource - Your English is just fine, and I agree with you. Someone who is actually social improves SL for everyone, whether they are a paying customer or not. Any metric for the health of SL needs to consider how desirable the platform is, and above all SL is a social space. Or it should be. There'd be little reason to spend money if there wasn't anything to do. LL can only go so far attracting people who chase the money-making myth. They need to attract people who can and will chat, even if they aren't paying customers.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 3:58PM (Unverified) said

Why the quest for a single measure? Any assessment of SL Metrics must involve many factors, the importance of which will vary depending on where you stand; Linden Lab investor, the Lab itself, resident creator, simply resident. Each perspective is best seen through a different set of metrics.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:53PM (Unverified) said

I think we are not looking broadly enough at the question. It seems that most of you are assuming that a large majority of the number of active users spent only close to an hour in-world during any given month. I would argue, that if they were interested in SL enough to log in for more than an hour every month, then they probably spend well over an hour every month in-world due the the fact that something keeps them coming back.

Either way.. I don't find an hour to be unreasonable as a form of measurement, in fact, I think it is actually very fair especially when you consider how other online social platforms count users. For example, if Linden Lab counted users the same way Twitter did, the stats would be A LOT higher (not to mention skewed).

Posted: Jun 12th 2010 1:19PM (Unverified) said

Well, I think this last week's events and Tateru's subsequent article prove my point. LL needs to ask, "Where's the money?" The rest are means to that end.