Posted: Jun 5th 2010 4:11PM ChadAbs said

I managed to complete CoP about 3 years after it came out when I still played FFXI. I'd never felt such a sense of accomplishment for any other game I've ever played. I actually managed to get the achievement for it on my Xbox 360 (I went between a lot of consoles with FFXI) and still hold that achievement the closest; far above any other achievement I may ever get.

I'm not exactly happy with the removal of level caps, I thought they added a lot of strategy, but since FFXI is on its last legs, I don't mind at all. It'll still be hell to find anyone who knows where to go or actually wants to do it. Which is a shame, since CoP is a great story and has a killer soundtrack.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 4:13PM Dblade said

It was a good expansion but at the wrong time. When it was released, the game was still very new in the states and most people just didn't have the skill or gear to get the most out of it, myself included. If they had done the tales of aht urgan expansion first, then COP, it would have worked much better.

The level caps were designed so that people would do the missions as they leveled their characters, and do open missions with alliances of people. The problem imo is that the missions were too hard for the level caps if that was your first job. Promys especially were nothing like either BCNMS or normal party play. Keep in mind also back then a lot of things were different: paladins were much weaker tanks and the level of gear was much lower due to massive rmt inflation.

Also, COP areas offered very little until you got to sea. Lufaise and Miseareaux had mobs that were too hard to level on at 30. After that all of the level capped areas you just went into for the mission, or maybe to get a piece of armor or do a ENM that was harder to organize than a BCNM. If it weren't for Sea there would have been a lot less people staying the distance to finish it. I didn't, but towards the end I was more of a solo beastmaster, and that class struggled a lot in raids while getting little reward.

I think it was as late as mid TOAU that over 70% of people never bothered finishing COP, and for casuals TOAU offered so much more with assault, Nyzul Isle, and the main mission line.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 5:13PM Khaiser Soze said

Of course this is a good thing.

It means that SE is getting ready to launch FFxiv in the coming future and are using this as a plan to delay the massive drop in subscriptions that will follow the release of FFxiv.

FFxi was my favorite game, but, been there, done that. Im so damn ready for FFxiv.

Posted: Jun 5th 2010 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Was one of the first on my server to get sea, I remember first setting foot in sea, never having seen a picture before experiencing it for the first time. There was no information, we had to figure things out, like that aern that gave the 'myserious feeling' message or whatever (it's been like 3-4 years...give me a break) and figuring out how to spawn jailers. Also being the first on the server to take down all the jailers was a great feeling too, my linkshell basically ruled the end game scene.

That having been said, without a linkshell doing CoP would have been much harder, without skilled players you were almost certain to fail. Having high caliber players made CoP a bit 'easier' but that is not to detract away from any of the challenge it presented.

I played on Lakshmi and was in the Fallen Angels, you might remember the name, but we no longer exist. We dominated Lakshmi for years, kept Fafnir in NA time for like a year and a half 3-6pm EST every day by sitting and waiting to kill at 6pm everyday. We were also the first to kill the three wyrms and obtain their loot, back when you 'staight-tanked' Tiamat with PLD/WARs...and rotated Aerial Armor with your WHM/SMN healers, yeah we did it like that and it was how things were done before /NIN rose up.

Very nostalgic post but I'll end it with this, being able to achieve these very hard feats as a group was probably what made FFXI so rewarding for me. Without the difficulty the game would have been so HORRIBLE, but part of the joy for me was being the 'first' and people being literally amazed when they saw my gear or heard of my exploits. With all the things they're doing to make it easier, it makes me glad I played when the game was at it's peak, you can really tell it's dieing now.

Posted: Jun 6th 2010 9:26PM myr said

I completely agree.

FFXI being difficult is what made it so rewarding. Now I spend my days low-manning things just to capture that epic feel again. With enough kclub DRK's you can zerg most bosses in the game nowadays...

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 12:30AM Zardonnas said

For the level of difficulty involved, skilled players and serious dedication were needed to play through the storyline. I was able to see it all once the first and smallest round of nerfs were implemented w/ a static group from my linkshell.

The rewards at the time were the sense of exploration, the ability to see the storyline (before the advent of youtube, mind you), access to a new city, and a pretty good ring in the end. The effort it took wasn't really equivalent to the rewards you gained, as I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was forced to play up another job (was THF75, leveled up a RNG to 60) to be more effective in the seriously difficult fights.

Posted: Jun 9th 2010 6:53PM Zardonnas said

Oh yes, and lest anyone forget, managing inventory with the extra armor sets was a nightmare. This was before the introduction of Gobbiebag quests that pushed character inventory beyond 60, and also before the introduction of the rentable extra bank space introduced in Treasures of Aht Uhrgan. Mog Safe was 80 spaces max.

When I did it I don't think Mannequins for armor sets had even fully been introduced! :)

I just read about Mog Satchel, I can't believe how easy the kids have it nowadays ;(

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 7:56PM Blancmanche said

I think 90% of the grief people suffered with CoP could have been alleviated if they had introduced level-synch with the expansion. Asking too much for something done and done, I know, but in some alternate universe there is a version of CoP that is just as difficult and just as rewarding but doesn't require you to buy a whole new wardrobe every few missions.

Speaking of which, I'm in agreement with some of the above posters that the sheer difficulty of CoP is what made it so worthwhile. It's brutal, yes, but there are also great rewards for those who persevere; and not just the rings (which are awesome in their own right) but also the sense of mystery, wonder, and exploration of the story and zones. That's not for everyone, for sure, and probably not for the better majority of FFXI players judging by how many nerfs SE has thrown at the expansion.