Posted: Jun 4th 2010 11:23AM C Rose said

Go Turbine. This is a big step to take, but after playing LotRO again recently I can say it's one of the best MMO on the market. I'm currently on a extended WoW hiatus because I feel the experience is stagnant at the moment, but LotRO has drastically improved the game-play and mechanics in the game, as well as the fact it HANDS DOWN is the most beautiful MMO out there! (Not up for discussion, lol). DDO is amazing and I feel this risky move is going to pay off big time for Turbine. Especially with the current vacuum in the quality high end fantasy MMO market with Cataclysm taking too long to be released, IMO.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 11:54AM yeppers said

Well... since this site is only the second site I go to after my email, the "special note" was more of a "shocking note" for me. Free to play? Wow. Totally mixed feelings about this. While I'm happy a game I like to play isn't going to be competing for a monthly subscription, I can't help but think we're going to lose something over this in the long run.

I'm kinda sad but hopeful.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 12:19PM yeppers said

K... I'm a little less concerned after reading the press release. It's still going to be a P2P for me since I'm over level 50. I'm okay with this. Also, reading up on the other benefits of being a current subscriber this only seems like "win" to me unless the quality of the game decreases over time.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 3:52PM Cristiano Cenizo said

I have a Lifetime sub for LotRO. I have a Premium account for DDO. Let me tell you as a player of these amazing and great games how -amazing- they are compared to things such as Allods, Ragnarok Online, RoM, etc. I consider LotRO and DDO as top tier MMOs that have so much fun to offer to their players. After reading the forums, press release, and FAQ I am assured that this move will bring good things to LotRO. DDO's F2P model is, in my opinion, one of the best available on the market. I casually played it for about four months before I decided to spend a dime; since I have spent about $40 on the game, about the price of the "box" you have to purchase for other games. The only regret is that everyone I used to play with is so repulsed by the idea of F2P (thanks to the bad taste other games left them with) that they won't consider DDO as an option in the MMO market.

Perhaps the only negative side of this F2P model would be an influx of undesirable players to servers with strong community bonds.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 5:25PM (Unverified) said

its not actualy free to play, its an unlimited trial, max level 50 you have to buy the quests past the 3 starter zones limited to 2g on a char, no pvmp.

People will still play monthley and will have acces to everything that they have now and all free content will keep coming. Lifers will also not have any change in the game

Just more people coming to the game getting hooked and then paying.