Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:34AM Morde said

Either Ultima Online or Vanguard: Saga of Heroes.

While Ultima Onlines is mostly from the classic series, no one can dare say it isn't beautiful - songs like Stones and Gwenno's Song are amazing, to say the least.

Vanguard just has some really neat sounds to it, while its modern like most other MMOs in its 'epic sound', it does it a bit different, and does some stuff I haven't heard in other mmos. Definitely nice. :)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:37AM silvertemplar said

Age of Conan without a doubt. Heck how many MMOs music will you find on youtube being performed live? The norwegian singer Funcom use have an amazing voice .

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:49AM TheGreatMachine said

Everquest, get huge nostalgia pangs whenever I hear an old midi from then.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:50AM DancingTaco said

AoC is pretty good, from what little I have heard via the demo. I play Lotro as my main game and am quite fond of a couple of tunes from there. Old Forest song and entering Moria are two that stand out.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:51AM PadreAdamo said

Asheron's Call 2, has the most unique soundtrack to date; nothing has measured up to the soundtrack of that game.

Age of Conan is a close second.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:52AM (Unverified) said

Lineage 2 has the best soundtrack of any mmo

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:54AM (Unverified) said

FFXI for me :-

Gustaberg - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zu5BXAvwWM

Sanctuary of Zi'tah - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zu5BXAvwWM

And the vocal track from Chains of Promathia - Distant Worlds (amazing!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYu2Y6y1XqA (i couldnt find the proper version on YT so this is a fan mixed vocal and guitar version)

Enjoy!

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 8:56AM (Unverified) said

Nothing compares to AOC

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 5:49PM (Unverified) said

^^This..Al that needs to be said. EQ's original theme. STILL stirs me and gets me.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:04AM benfolds said

World of Warcraft and EVE Online do it for me. Both have amazing and very different soundtracks. Both of these games I think put a lot into the music, and don't look at it as just a thing to throw in, but something that helps the game experience and sets the mood. I think the top game companies get that. I haven't played Age of Conan, but I'm listening to one of the links posted now and it sounds great! It's funny how some game companies pay particular attention to music and others it seems like something they threw in.

I also agree with the Fallen Earth music, it's more of an ambient thing, but it does add to the mood for sure.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:11AM Valdur said

Age of Conan is by far the most Epic soundtrack an MMO ever had.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:13AM Arkanaloth said

honestly going to have to give the nod to FFXI on this one, second favorite is GuildWars.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:16AM kschir said

FFXI hands down

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:18AM (Unverified) said

LOTRO!

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:19AM Miffy said

World of Warcraft has the best soundtrack and rightfully so with Blizzard being the best developer to ever make an MMO.

etc etc.

Age of Conan has some nice music when you entered this lvl 20 or 30 zone, I can't remember but the music was the only good thing about the game.

Star Wars Galaxies obviously had the great Star Wars soundtrack.

EVE Online has really fitting and ambient music.

However for original Sound Tracks then it has go to WoW really.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 11:11AM Aquaryon said

My thoughts exactly Venekor, WoW = some of the best gaming music period.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:19AM elocke said

I'm a huge fan of video game music and movie music. the classical kind. So on that note here are my top favs in the MMO world. Note, that without the music I don't think these games would have appealed to me as much as they have. I've actually gone back to a game JUST to hear a piece of music from a certain zone.

FFXI - Nobuo Uematsu, what more can I say? The man is a genius.
World of Warcraft - Grizzly Hills blows me away.
Age of Conan - Just awesome. This game would truly fail if it weren't for the music.
Everquest 2 - Again some really great scores.
Last but not least Lord of the Rings Online - while not as epic as the movie scores, still a very catchy and rewarding soundtrack for the online game.
I would say star wars galaxies, but any game with star wars is going to have awesome music from the movies anyway :D

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:22AM J Brad Hicks said

Diablo II, where each zone type had not one song that played over and over again, but instead a large collection of matching themed clips of a few bars each that could be randomly remixed, spoiled all MMO music for me. On the list of my ongoing resentments about the MMO industry is that they think I'm going to want to hear the same song (or worse, gods help us, the same song over and over again) every time I enter a zone. Why hasn't anybody, even Blizzard, duplicated the Diablo II music system in an MMO?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:44AM nomoredroids said

Maybe because its completely forgettable.