Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 9:32AM Minofan said

• 1 heart
Mmm'kay; they don't want players to "feel like they're being made to do the same content twice", so they're putting in corpse runs rather than respawn points?

If I understand correctly then (corpse runners are on another plane of existence = essentially invisible), instead of X minutes battling back - getting loot, XP & combat thrills - players get Y tedious minutes of autorunning/holding W over empty terrain?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 10:05AM (Unverified) said

Yes and no.

Imagine an entirelly different world when you are dead.

sort of like the shadow layers in Nightwatch books, or nevernever in dresden files.

The Astral plane of the world looks and works totally different from the world in which you play while "alive".

You run through the same place, yet the place is totally different.

In fact I am sure that certain things, quests, etc, will only be possible to be done WHEN you are dead And players might NEED to die to access certain stuff ;)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

When I read this, I had a similar idea to what Unknown said. That's not what I interpreted from his statement, though. Maybe there are other statements that suggest this is what is actually going to happen?

I think what he's pointing out is that the corpse run allows you to skip killing the respawns, which is certainly an improvement even if the actual corpse run is pretty uninteresting.

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of a "Wake up" minigame you might have to play to get back. It preserves the basic elements of the corpse run (it takes time to revive, and in theory a smarter player can revive faster) but it makes the whole thing feel like forward progress. Maybe when you die, you have to fend off ghosts for half a minute or so in order to properly wake up? Maybe your allies can try to use effects that help you out (move faster, slow down ghosts, enter ghost realm momentarily to fight too), allowing you to revive more quickly without being the standard instant rez?

Anyway, I get the impression that he means corpse runs are superior to respawning and then fighting repops, which I think is probably an accurate statement for certain game designs.

-SirNiko

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 10:19AM pcgneurotic said

When is this bloody thing going OB? It's a bigger tease than my second wife was. :(

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 10:58AM archipelagos said

Comment of the day? I reckon so.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 10:42PM (Unverified) said

Indeed! ...um, the OB comment :)

I've been stuck in single player game mode for too long & am so waiting (& hoping) for this to be my next MMO addiction.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 12:26PM Saker said

There need to be negative consequences, recent games have been too damn easy.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 12:56PM Valdur said

I would have liked it to be like Unknown described but I think it's going to be more like a regular corpse run which will fit the lore but still nonetheless.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 1:58PM ZoneOuT said

corpse runs? eek!! Suddenly I just got awful flashbacks of SWG's corpse runs back in the day... lol anyone else remembers long naked treks across Tatooine to find your body in the middle of 5 spawns of agro mobs ahhhhhh!!

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM