Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 12:21PM Aquaryon said

Thanks Ryan, sounds great! I played for the first 2 months and I enjoyed the game quite a bit but it was just lacking over all polish. I heard the game made leaps and bounds since then and with this article, I might just resub. Keep up the great job!

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 1:07PM benfolds said

Thanks for all your work on STO! Please keep it coming. It has greatly helped me in game. I think the game a few months out from release has really come along way. A year from now, we'll be talking about a totally different STO for sure. I'mnot a fanboi, just giving it a chance and enjoying it. Thanks again for the great articles!

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 1:18PM Stormwaltz said

• 1 heart
Given all the things STO still needs to feel "complete," it boggles me that development time was devoted to make an opt-in player self-punishment system for the 10% of players who are masochists... I mean "hardcore."

I mean, did the few who wanted this system even stay subbed long enough to try it? I'd have expected them to get bored and move on in a month or two.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 3:43AM J Brad Hicks said

I would also have added two things to the above article: (1) increasing the difficulty also significantly increases XP per mission, and perceptibly improves the quality of the loot, and (2) regenerators and components drop pretty frequently as loot; I've almost never had to buy any.

Now, to stormwaltz's comment: I didn't think it was important, until I tried it. And the people who asked for this were right. Let's face it, if you keep your equipment within 5 or 6 levels of current, you can faceroll STO on Normal difficulty once you make Lt. Commander. Once you make Lt. Commander, if you don't push to Advanced difficulty, you can complete any mission in the game without even using your captain or bridge officer skills, just off of auto-fire in space and your two basic weapon attacks on the ground. Normal difficulty is boring. And the other reason that it's important is that the XP increase that came with raising the difficulty took a holy heck of a lot of the grind out of the game.

Even more than I want at least some challenge, I want not to have to grind 50 repetitive PvP matches or 50 repetitive exploration missions or 50 sector defense missions because I've exhausted all of the episode and patrol content. Bumping it to Advanced difficulty does exactly that for me: I do the patrols, I do the episodes, and I have time to run maybe 6 or 9 other missions, which is a big improvement over 50. Less repetitive grind is always good.

Posted: Jun 4th 2010 11:55AM Stormwaltz said

"Once you make Lt. Commander, if you don't push to Advanced difficulty, you can complete any mission in the game without even using your captain or bridge officer skills, just off of auto-fire in space and your two basic weapon attacks on the ground."

It sounds like you're a more hardcore player than I am, Brad. I'm Commander-9 (Science/Science), and this doesn't describe my experience at all. Ship combat against single battleships or three escort-types requires attention, careful power management and skill use, and occasional use of power-ups.

As for ground combat... well, I've never been fond of the ground combat. But even making full use of dodges, items, and team powers, I've encountered rooms that have wiped my team more than once.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 1:24PM Liltawen said

I like the new system. I had pretty much given up on the Federation for the Empire because the Federation was so easy but this has made it alot more interesting. It seems that Fed Advanced = Klingon easy. A great improvement.