Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:22PM Arkanaloth said

an interesting read.. we'll see if they actually follow through. My big issue with quite a few MMO's is they say "story story story! we got story" only to have it either somewhat poorly done or worse, the "bait & switch", where you can solo everything........ but the last part. At which point you hope your friends are online or go LFG for a while. >_> At the lower levels that's just an annoyance however at the level cap it becomes a matter of being in a raid guild or dropping the quest (and the accompanying storyline).

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:15PM eyeball2452 said

I totally agree. I've heard this pitch before. TR and AoC were two of the more recent failures following this line of marketing. Talking about the design and executing on it are two different things.

Having said that, I remain interested because I feel like Bioware has some social capital with me from previous games.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:20PM Skolia said

I love BioWare. I love Science Fiction. I love the idea of tons of story in an MMO. I just wish it wasn't Star Wars :(

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:29PM Audacious said

I kind of thought this myself, but than it occurred to me, watching the original trilogy for the first time during its anniversary earlier this year: heck, this series can go anywhere, do anything, and have some truly creative alien species and plot lines in the process, and no one could call 'lorelol' or any foolishness like that. Sure the movie plots are terrible and the dark and light side thing are about as cliché and simple as a Saturday morning cartoon. There's still plenty of room for more interesting plots and concepts to be explored in the series, especially in a video game like this.

I don't care one way or another about Star Wars, but Bioware does good work -and- hasn't yet been tainted by the ubiquitously dull MMO design process from what I've seen.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

agreed, but I'll still play it.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 10:51PM Ingrod said

The saga main plot is interesting if you go beyond the surface, and all the whole dark/light philosophy is a bit more complex of what a first look can suggest. Many of the best Star Wars storylines have really intricated moral choices. All Star Wars is about how the in theory good guys can become his worst nighmare if they get the wrong choices. Perhaps can be see how simple scapism, but the news are full of situations where that philosophy suddenly have application.

Bioware and other Old Republic timeline authors do a excellent work exploiting these ambiguities and all the saga potential, these works are more akin to actual tastes and best in many aspects that the Lucas precuel trilogy and inclusive the classic trilogy. If you read these comics and play these games you can see that doing the things how must be the whole Star Wars history is more than a dumb storyline about good vs. evil. And I dont have doubt than in SWTOR these storys will have the same quality.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:22PM AlluvianEstEndrati said

50 novels worth of story... all getting skipped over by folk who just want to grind their way to the top levels. I wonder how many folk will actually explore and plumb out the depths of content they are implementing?

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:32PM Audacious said

If they make it gripping and intriguing enough, I foresee an audience very different from those typically fond of MMO's lining up to play this game.

If anything, we're the last people Bioware should be advertising to this game about.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 8:22PM Lethality said

@Raze - yes, it will be a much much smaller audience.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 10:52PM Ingrod said

Lethality, small how the KOTOR audience?

That game was a big succes, and Bioware was very good doing the plot sufficient gripping and intriguing for some people how me.

Perhaps many people will skip conversations and history, but these people will lose the a big part of the experience and fun. Same that if they only play 1/2 of the content.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:28PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Can't wait for this to finally flop.

Then Bioware can get off their high horses and start developing a PROPER KOTOR III.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 12:26AM RogueJedi86 said

If BioWare didn't want to make a KotOR2(they gave it to Obsidian for a reason), what makes you think they wanted to make a KotOR3? It's not like they had KotOR3 almost done when EA and LucasArts forced them to turn it into a TOR. They've been making this game since about the time KotOR was released. The "waaaah we want KotOR3" crap got old a year and a half ago when TOR was first announced. You'll see KotOR3 the same day we see a Warcraft 4.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:31PM Itanius said

I would ask how you quantify "50 novels" but after reading the article, it's clear the term was used as a hyperbole and purely for marketing hype.

At any rate, it's neat that they feel proud enough to justify the amount of text in SWTOR.

This game had better live up to the hype... ... ...

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 8:19PM Drannos said

I thought this, too. Nice to see someone actually promoting the amount of writing that goes into their game.

Good thing it's supposed to be mostly voice overs and, I'm guessing, cut scenes. I like to read...but...wow.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:33PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
The Old Republic challenging traditional conventions? Are you kidding me? Maybe if the game wasn't shaping up to be another themepark with a loot treadmill at the end I could buy their spin, but all I've seen from this game so far is World of Warcraft with an attached BioWare-style story (which I'm still not sure will work in an MMO setting).

It's nice to claim that you're being innovative, and it certainly helps to build the hype (thanks to sites like Massively), but you have to back it up with some specifics. They're adding a little bit of spice to the MMO scene, but they definitely aren't doing anything to the traditional MMO conventions.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:41PM toychristopher said

• 1 heart
I too fail to see what exactly is so innovative about what Bioware is trying to do.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:56PM Firebreak said

You mean besides branching story lines with long term implications. Other then that, yeah it is the same. Of course that is kind of a big deal and could be totally awesome.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:20PM Interitus said

• 1 heart
Firebreak there is nothing innovative about a story. MMO's have had them for years. Yes Bioware expanded the story. But with stat based items you aren't going to see anything different from any other major MMO. People will still grind and camp and the usual. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the game, but don't expect this to be groundbreaking new gameplay that will forever change the face of MMO's.

EA has invested too much money for to allow Bioware to stray far from the working MMO model we have right now.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:37PM engrey said

In terms of story, an MMO has not done it to this scale. Yes every MMO does have story but have actively engaged are you in it? While a grind will always exist (Though in TOR it has been confirmed straight out grinding is not the way to level, and you will gain little experience from killing mobs. Whereas questing will receive the most XP) BioWare is trying to mask that grind with story that means something. Instead of killing boars and wolfs you kill things that mean something, that have a purpose, and while you can skip the cinematic encounters between you and the quest giver there is more to an MMO then just reaching max level. Also a full voiced over game will change the MMO market, people are tired of reading text, or just skipping it all together. While you are correct, they are not re-inventing the MMO wheel, BioWare is doing their best to improve on what we have already.

What made WoW such a good game? Easy to pick up and play, addictive, and simple enough to learn but hard to master. People need to remember that WoW did not really introduce anything new to the genre that had not been done before. However Blizzard polished the game (Though it was rocky at release) and made a good product to get people who have never played an MMO into the genre.

BioWare is doing the same thing, getting fans of Star Wars, MMO vets, and those who have traditionally played single-player games, into the MMO scene. For an MMO would you rather have something so different it is un-familiar or would you rather have something you know and recognize, but with twists and new elements to keep it fresh?

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 4:58PM (Unverified) said

I don't read quests. I explored the Warlock cave in Felwood because it was there, then I had to go back later to get my horsie, once I realized it was there for a reason it wasn't nearly as cool.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014