Posted: Jun 1st 2010 10:12PM (Unverified) said

Sorry EA you're on my blacklist, along with Bill Roper.

He says Flagship wanted to delay Hellgate to fix the issues discovered right before the release but you wouldn't let them.

Hellgate had everything you could ever want from a game, except for a decent development.

So, since you guys managed to screw up "the best game ever" I can't trust you to make anything else correctly.

Stick to releasing re-skinned sports titles every year.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 12:43AM Anticrawl said

Damn Mr. I have no idea how the industry works woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 12:51AM Blay said

If you think it was solely EAs fault that HG:L failed then you are sadly mistaken.

The team can ask for more time but when they money runs out it runs out, they kept on asking for more time and money but after so long people stop wanting to invest that kind of money in something that has even a slight chance of losing their money.

The above has been stated in plenty of articles over the web, as well as Mark Jacobs one of Bill Ropers long time friends saying one of the biggest reasons HG:L sank was the ego of Roper and the lack of communication to the games community.

Do I think EA has no blame for HG:L failing? Of course not but I wouldn't say it was their fault either. They could have gave it more time and money but who knows how deep they were into it to begin with and if they thought they were going to lose more money why would they?

Mythic is the same way people these days are dogging all over EA about DAoC and WAR but DAoC was in bad condition with low sub numbers prior to EA acquiring them and Warhammer failed because of the development team. They had a decent development timeline and a $100-200m budget but the game was terribly unbalanced and performed very poorly, neither of which had anything due to EA.

Funny thing is Bioware has only gotten better under EA with a big publisher to back them with money. Most these other games got similar treatment with big budgets but the only difference is they didn't perform. So before you go branding EA as the killer of game companies might want to look into more then just the former studio heads who are trying to place blame on anyone but themselves :)

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 3:34AM Distaste said

EA was the publisher of the game and they didn't own Flagship studios. EA wasn't funding the game they were in charge of marketing/selling/packaging of it.

If you need to blame anyone it is Flagship Studios. All decisions on the game were made by them. They obviously ran out of money, or made a VERY bad decision, and had to launch the game. EA wasn't funding them so how is that EA's fault?

Basically here is what happened. Flagship partnered with EA to have them publish the game. The game itself was a train wreck along with the business model and by the time they realized it they were out of money and EA had already spent money to publish the game as agreed upon. At this point with no money and things already in motion they couldn't delay and had to release.

So in no way was it EA's fault when everything stems from bad business and design decisions of Flagship. The same thing happened with WAR and Mark Jacobs, except he was using EA's money and got the axe for his poor decisions.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 6:47AM (Unverified) said

Don't get me wrong, Flagship are just as responsible; I will never play CO or STO or any game made by a company that is paying Bill Roper's wages.

However, Flagship asked to delay the release and EA said they had to stick to their Halloween release.

Another few months would have helped. Look at what they managed to do with Stonehenge etc. (I never actually experienced Stonehenge because they never fixed the can't-get-past-the-loading-screen bug but by all accounts they made good progress).

Granted, they had hyped the Halloween release date, all the promo vids etc. and all EA's advertising were based around it. However if EA hadn't forced thier hand the game might still be around today.

Overall EA are in it for box sales, they don't care about longevity. It doesn't bother them if a game falls over on release as long as millions of people fork over $50 for it. They get paid either way.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 7:35AM Blay said

Think you may have read to many blog or speculation articles on why it failed instead of people actually from Flagship. Goldstein who was a part of Flagship on the business side admitted they ran out of money to continue to polish the game and that it was their fault they didn't raise enough money from investors to delay the release. So Flagship couldn't hold the release any longer and released they weren't forced. Maybe they were denied extra funds by EA but they were not told to release they had to due to financial reasons.

And at the end of the day EA is a business just like every other compant they are out to make money and keep their shareholders happy so they can keep their jobs. If you look they are one of the few big name publishers that still make certain DLC free of charge, look at BFBC2 and Mass Effect2 which received a few free add ons each which other publishers would be charging for. So yes they are after your money but they aren't running over you to get it, at least not as bad as some companies are these days.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 10:16PM Sireangelus said

I loved these single player games. I'm not sure I'd want to play the MMO though, they are really fine as they are.

I'll admit my first thought reading this is: Man I hope they don't screw this up TOO badly.

You never know though, it's an awesome IP maybe it'll be a good MMO, stranger things have happened.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 11:40AM karnisov said

alot of dungeon keeper's charm was its ambiance. if they don't have the nefarious sounding adviser its going to feel hollow, for me at least.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 11:04PM (Unverified) said

Holy crap, Dungeon Keeper is still one of my all-time favourite single-player games even more than a decade on. Why was I not informed of this earlier?

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 11:54PM Dalrint said

Can we just have Dungeon Keeper 3 instead, please?

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 12:25AM Bhima said

Agreed. Just give the game to Runic, have them make a single-player Dungeon Keeper 3 and sell it for 20 bucks on steam so all the Dungeon Keeper fans can rejoice. Sadly, I'm sure I'll check out this MMO and, even more sadly, I'll probably be disappointed.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 12:02AM Saker said

Loved the original, don't see this turning out well at all. Pity...

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 4:14AM wjowski said

I think at this point we can change the name of the genre from MMO to 'Money-Whoring'.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 4:27AM Viiral said

I stopped reading when i saw TQ Digital.

TQ Digital make hte worst games ever and they uses the same engine on all their games.

They make clones of clones of their first game with new look.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 4:45PM Saker said

Must admit to feeling the same

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 6:50AM (Unverified) said

The concept art already made me decide that I do not want this game. I'm just not into that asian quasi-manga style. And it does not fit the theme of the original DK games in any way.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 3:56PM (Unverified) said

What is this? I don't even....

This doesn't look like DK.
This looks like license rape and murder...

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 8:53AM Damn Dirty Ape said

Ugh, that concept art is appalling. What was wrong with the charm of the original game's style? The humor is a huge part of what made the originals fun.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 8:53AM Itanius said

Great, another awesome game title about to be destroyed because someone wants to make it into an MMO.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 10:24AM Budukahn said

So they gave a uniquely western IP to a chinese company to develop into an MMO? That doesn't fill me with confidence. Not that I don't think China can make a decent MMO, but I have a feeling that somewhere beyond the IP going east, being made into an MMO and then being brought back to the west, there's going to be a lot lost in translation of what was special and fun about the setting in the move between cultures.

Strikes me like EA is trying to do MMO development on the cheap.
| 1 | 2 |

MMO Week in Review: ArcheAge has arrived

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: Has the industry revamp worked?

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 6:00PM