Posted: May 31st 2010 11:23PM Rhoan01 said

Very good stuff, neatly summarized and tied together. It's pretty much a guarantee we'll learn a lot more about the Order's origins since the starting planet for Jedi will be Tython; that's really exciting.

The juxtaposition of early Jedi versus later Jedi always puzzled me. For instance, Andur Sunrider was married to Nomi when he began his training, and they later had a child before his death. Then by the time Episode 1 (and even KOTOR, which I've picked up AGAIN) comes around we see Jedi aren't supposed to have that kind of relationship, or be accepted for training when they're older.

Where did that paradigm shift? What led the Council to make those changes? How did we get to the point where those policies eventually led to the corruption and creation of the most iconic villain of all time? That's an article I'd like to see.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:10PM RogueJedi86 said

There's a Wookieepedia article that explains that and several other things the EU had to do to retcon the Jedi of old and Palpatine's statement in AotC about the Republic only being around for 1,000 years.

Posted: May 31st 2010 6:54PM Matix said

I think, given the KOTOR comics especially, the Jedi of SW:TOR are demonstrably decentralized, especially after the sacking of Curascant. And with the Sith so rampant and the fact the Sacking of Curascant caught the Jedi completely off guard I'd bet IRL money that the Dark Side has clouded the Jedi's ability to see events in the Force.

Right now, I see an Order well established like the CW Era, but at the same time unsure of itself much as the NJO Era. According to SW:TOR the Galaxy doesn't quite trust the Jedi such that they have relocated to Tython off of Curascant.

After Exar Kun, Revan's Jedi Civil War, and now the Sith Cold War, I'd bet that unlike either Era the Jedi are at a severe crossroads. Their old ways haven't panned out too well lately. The need for change is obvious, but the Force is cloudy with the Sith at large.

I'm sure there are Jedi, especially those in the field, arguing for greater freedom (much like the Altisian Jedi and later NJO), whereas various Masters are most likely already arguing for the restrictions we eventually see by the CW Era. As such, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of Force philosophies are either being retooled, rehashed, reevaluated in light of new ideas, or even rediscovered as the Jedi look inward to define who they are.

Posted: May 31st 2010 8:02PM (Unverified) said

Sorry but there are a lot of inaccuracies with this post.

For instance:

After several thousand years without conflict, the Order had become arrogant

Actualy the last large scale conflict with the sith was only around a thousand years prior to the films

then we have

A group of scholars settled on the world of Tython to study the mysteries of the Force. Due to yet-unknown circumstances, a Force War erupted, and survivors were forced to flee the planet.

The force war began when followers of Bogan (the dark side) emerged around 25,793 BBY. This group challenged the followers of Ashla (the light side) causing the force war. Also the survivors did not flee, they left to liberate other worlds using their power and spread their teachings.

Posted: May 31st 2010 10:23PM Larry Everett said

I'm very glad you were paying attention.

For the first, I was a bit ambiguous. I apologize, I didn't intend for it to be a accurate denotation of time. Darth Bane's rule of two did start a thousand years before the movies.
Ki-Adi-Mundi (in the Phantom Menace): Impossible! The Sith are extinct! They have been for nearly a millennium.

As for the second instance though, I believe wookieepedia is a bit inaccurate in its description of events. It cites the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook as the source of the Ashla/Bogan Force War. However, I have the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook, and I find no mention of it. In fact, this is the only quote involving Tython that I found: "No one knows who first discovered the Force, or what group inspired the formation of the Jedi. Some claim it was first known on a world called Tython and worshiped as the Ashla, the positive energy of the universe."

As for them fleeing, I defer to SWTOR's website (http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/planets/tython) which says: " . . . but controversy among the scholars’ ranks created a cataclysm which nearly destroyed the planet. A small group of survivors fled to another star system, put their dark past behind them, and founded the Jedi Order." Given this, it makes me believe that we will discover exactly what happened on Tython in the game, and I doubt it will be what is written on the page of wookiepedia. I would definitely like to hear your speculation, though.

Truly, thanks for paying attention, it is good to know that there are fans of Star Wars and SWTOR who are going to pay attention to details. It encourages me as a fan and writer for this article. Keep up the good work.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 3:23AM Interitus said

" I have the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook, and I find no mention of it. In fact, this is the only quote involving Tython that I found: "No one knows who first discovered the Force, or what group inspired the formation of the Jedi. Some claim it was first known on a world called Tython and worshiped as the Ashla, the positive energy of the universe."

Page 54 seems to confirm Tython to be the home of the Jedi.

"eventually, they learned that this energy was not limited to Tython, but permeated the entire galaxy. It seems these force-users or their decendants who eventually became known as the Jedi"

"Possibly because of the issues leading up to the war, the scholars created guidelines to govern themselves, thus creating the Jedi Order."

This isn't correct. The Jedi guidelines exsisted first causing the First Great Schism. . Pg 125 reads "Apparently frustrated by the rigid teachings of their former teachers, these rebels celebrated their freedom by giving in to their passions and emotions , and touching the power of the dark side"

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 8:38AM Larry Everett said

Interitus,

Which book are you reading to find these quotes? My version of the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook says doesn't contain those quotes. Page 54 talks about the lightsaber, and page 125 is talking about Kit Fisto.

Posted: Jun 7th 2010 6:09PM Interitus said

Apologies, it's not a sourcebook it's the Jedi vs. Sith Essential Guide to The Force.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 8:52AM Larry Everett said

I don't have any facts to back it up, but I believe the Light-side/Dark-side system will be more like the Mass Effect paragon/renegade system. It isn't necessarily good versus evil in the moral sense, but rather greater good versus personal gain or maybe good and evil in the DnD sense: caring for life or not caring for life.