Posted: May 31st 2010 6:11PM yeppers said

I really like these posts, Rubi. You and Sera are doing a great job with the guild. Unfortunately, I haven't been online on Thursdays in time to participate with you all. However, I'm following along via these articles and hope to go through the same content, completing it all in time for GW2.

It would be great if MVOP carries over to GW2. :)

Posted: May 31st 2010 6:31PM TheLazyGeek said

"Oh no a title is too hard to get so I have to bot."

Awesome! You go do that. Defeat the entire purpose of the title and working towards something. Good job. You win the game. Forever.

Posted: May 31st 2010 6:46PM Enikuo said

I agree that the idea that people are "forced" to bot is ridiculous.

But, am I the only one that gets a little queasy every time I see a EULA quoted? Essentially every player is completely, utterly powerless and at the total mercy of the company. You can pay the box price today, get banned tomorrow, and have no recourse. I don't really find anything comforting about that, even when it is quoted for the sake of cheaters.

Posted: May 31st 2010 8:51PM Tanek said

While it is true that they can ban your account the day after you buy the game, you have to take into consideration that it is in the company's best interests to keep a good image and they are not going to do such things without having a reason.

The language of the EULA is to make sure they are covered legally. It does not mean they will not correct mistakes, just that if they did not have the legalese in there you know someone would come along with wild lawsuits that would do no one any good (except maybe thaose people who write books on frivolous lawsuits...they need to get their material somewhere I suppose).

I think you'll find the same in just about every legal document for a business that covers customers. It is just that, as gamers, it is somewhat more visible to us here. And it is one of the few places people try to justify breaking the rules with the argument "it is just a game".

Posted: May 31st 2010 7:25PM Azimn said

I have to say on principal I agree with what you said, even if I am one of the ones that has been banned unjustly. I agree that if you use a bot then you should be aware that you could get banned. Myself I am waiting until tomorrow to call and see why me and my wife's accounts are no longer working. I can assure you it is not for botting and they claim payment fraud which is just crazy. I have been nervous all weekend that I might not get my account back.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 9:47AM (Unverified) said

!
I had to exact same thing 2 weeks ago. I eventually got my account back without any notice. But I, too, was unjustly banned for so called payment fraud. Numerous people have been banned for things they didn't do lately... I don't know what's up with the support team. However it's a good thing they banned the cheaters. Good luck, hope you two get it back.

Posted: May 31st 2010 7:22PM mode7overworld said

I guess it was last week or the week before that you suggested I come join you guys when I posted on the last Guild Wars article asking about the community. I'd still like to, but got busy with RL things and haven't had a chance to really get back into the game.

Anyway, I've got a Ritualist I adore and a Dervish (my first character) I miss playing. Would I be able to particpate in guild happenings with either of these, or is it better to roll a new character more condusive to going through the whole series start to finish?

Posted: May 31st 2010 8:54PM whateveryousay said

You can participate with your current characters if you don't mind making yourself available at the beginning of the post-searing Prophecies campaign.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 12:45AM Enikuo said

Most companies can't just sell you a product that stops working and say "tough." It's more of an aberration of the software industry. There is nothing fair about any business having complete protection while its consumers have none. And, it's troubling that it is so readily accepted.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:13AM Tanek said

Maybe I missed something here, but where does it say they say "tough" when a product stops working? (Also, I'm not sure I know what 'stops working' means in this context.)

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 3:45AM cray said

People don't like to admit they cheated so they spin it like they had no control over the matter. Saying "I was forced" sounds vastly more innocent and without weakeness to the gamer than saying "I caved in" or "I felt (peer) pressure" to cheat.

Large portion of cheating is brought on by poor eSport conduct. The ease of elitism has created a social dynamic where is you don't show your "hardcore gamer" badge, you're not worthy of being friends. basically it boils down to online peer pressure.

We need more online social groups teaching and promoting fair gameplay. A lot young gamers have little or no idea what it means to play a game in the spirit of it's intentions. Instead they just scan the game for exploits and brag about it as if they've acheived something because that part the game wasn't intentioned to be utilized like that.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 2:07PM ktastic said

I have some alts that could use advancing (and some elite armor) and I've been itching for a regular play group lately, so... I might end up bothering you lot Thursday. Has anyone thought of putting a guild page up on the wiki (or is there already one)?

I long ago learned not to put any value in titles because those that have them are not necessarily the players that I have the most fun playing with, or who have the most skill in pugs. Personally, I'm glad that they banned the accounts. Titles are just something I idly work towards in the background while I do other things... I don't think I have the time or patience to title farm, so I may be biased.

The only alteration I've made to the game is that add on that renders *everyone's* elite armors nicely, so hopefully I don't get banned for wanting to ogle the graphics as best I can (eep).

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 5:50PM (Unverified) said

There's a reason why I have only one title maxed, and that is that maxing out titles is usually a lengthy, and often grindy procedure, and though I don't mind a little grind I can't be bothered to run 'The Lair of the Snowmen' till I max out the Deldrimor title. But that is no reason to use a bot; if you want to leave the playing of the game to a computer programme, you might as well not bother with the game at all. Using a bot is not actually gaming, after all, completely defeating the point of playing games.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2010 2:03AM (Unverified) said

I am one of ther people who got innocently banned the day after I start playing guildwars. I have been playing for two years and took a two years gap break. I heard about the Guildwars banning people was awesome which is the reason why i started to play Guildwars again after two years. i have characters in every slot and every year Guildwars give out mini pet presents so u can imagine how many i got. one of the present contained white rabbit which i thaught was cute and motivated me to play more (I have a thing for rabbits :3) untill i got banned during my PvP match which made me wonder how i can get banned for not communicating or botting. Who would support a company which claims that they will investigate befor they ban and out of the blue, get banned for being online. I think that Guildwars is just banning people because they believe that some people will buy it again and make another account so they make more proffit. I also believe that guildwars are banning accounts that contain "bot" just to get a good a image so more people will buy Guildwars two. I descovered while talking to guildwar players, most people had simular issuse. More and more innocent people are being banned so maybe they are rolling a dice as a method of bann. i wrote too guildwars and hope that they reconsider my bann, if they don't then theres nothing I can do. There are more games other then guildwars so i will be fine, its just the sad feeling of a wasted two years of work and my money to guildwars. I will reply back telling you their choice.

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM