Posted: May 30th 2010 4:04PM jpkustra said

Any chance you could do a poll on this site for your readers to post which smartphone they use? I'm willing to be that the majority are not owners of iphones but would still be interested to know of apps available to droid & others.

Posted: May 30th 2010 7:54PM (Unverified) said

I will be covering Android apps next month. Just got one at my house. But a poll is still a good idea. I'll run one with the next column in two weeks.

-DanO'

Posted: May 30th 2010 4:17PM (Unverified) said

iPhone owner here... just because you don't have one, doesn't mean that the rest of us don't. For the record, I'd like to see both iPhone and Droid app coverage... I'm psyched to see more MMOs adding mobile apps that tie into their game. Apps for remote access to auction houses, in-game mail, and chatting would be nice to see become standard fare for all MMOs.

Posted: May 30th 2010 4:21PM jpkustra said

That's what I suggested.... apps for all major platforms, not JUST iPhone.

Posted: May 30th 2010 4:22PM DarthCheese said

Yeah android coverage would be much appreciated. Although... are there any MMO apps for it yet?

I know Blizzard has an android version of their mobile authenticator but that doesn't really count. :)

Posted: May 30th 2010 6:29PM (Unverified) said

To be fair, the iPhone and Droid are really the only two major smartphones right now. WinMo really doesn't have much oomph left in it until 7 comes out, it might gain a bit then.

I am a new iPhone owner, used WinMo 6 for the longest time.

Posted: May 30th 2010 8:49PM (Unverified) said

Sorry to break it to you, but the market has shifted towards platforms noy a specific smartphone. Though your a bit right with Motorolas Droid, seeing Android now has the biggest market share.

Posted: May 30th 2010 9:58PM (Unverified) said

When I said iPhone I, obviously, meant a phone. But when I referred to the Droid, I did mean the Android OS. Which are, to my knowledge, the two biggest. Followed by Nokia's Symbian and WinMo. I'm not sure how blackberry fares these days.

Posted: May 31st 2010 7:31AM (Unverified) said

And Maemo. Considering that the Nokia N900 is one of the highest spec smartphones available at the moment.

Blackberry has the highest market share but that doesn't mean much, since the majority of Blackberry phones are locked down for corporate use and won't be having any apps installed on them.

iPhone has the highest casual userbase. I'm not really sure where Android stacks up. According to a February article by Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/02/google-makes-biggest-gain-in-smartphone-market-share.ars) it's last, but that could be second-place for casual use depending on if you think WinMo and Palm's WebOS are corporate or not.

Although that graph doesn't show Nokia. A May article (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apple-iphone-smartphone-market-share-surges-rim-slips/34181) by ZDNet puts Nokia as the most shipped smartphone vendor. Unfortunately it doesn't mention if those are Symbian Nokia or Maemo Nokia.

In conclusion: Too many smartphone platforms and no matter what you do someone will miss out.

Posted: May 31st 2010 11:09AM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was a Maemo OS and I forgot about Palms.

Posted: May 31st 2010 3:01AM ZachDude said

Android here. It would be cool to see if any apps are on both android and iPhone.

Posted: May 30th 2010 10:42PM zaraly said

iPhone OS 4.0 will ship this summer for iPhone and iPod touch, and for iPad in the fall. With iPhone OS 4.0, iPhone owners will enjoy over 100 new features that make it easier to interact with apps, manage email, read books, and more. New features include the following:

Posted: May 30th 2010 11:43PM (Unverified) said

RIM still has the largest share of the market. Although iPhone and Droid are the only two that will have apps of this sort.

Posted: May 31st 2010 7:34AM (Unverified) said

"Although iPhone and Droid are the only two that will have apps of this sort."

I have a very nice EVE tracking app called mEVEMon on my N900 which runs Maemo. And I know there are EVE skill monitors available for Windows Mobile and Palm's WebOS as well.

So no. Not by a long shot.

Posted: May 31st 2010 12:47AM SgtBaker said

I know, let's argue about phones!

Ontopic: Capsuleer for the win!

Posted: May 31st 2010 9:46AM Dread said

Oi! WinMo 6.5 here on my Omnia II - and I want my Apps as well! Stop catering to the girly end of the market with their iPhones!

Whats next? A Mac MMO section? If Tetris makes it as an MMO that is.....

Posted: May 31st 2010 12:02PM (Unverified) said

AFAIK currently Nokia only has one cell phone running Maemo, the rest is all Symbian

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 12:32PM (Unverified) said