| Mail |
You might also like: WoW Insider, Joystiq, and more

Reader Comments (12)

Posted: May 30th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
It feels like the devs continue to ignore the one problem with this quest: it's completely determined by RNG, and absolutely nothing else. Cutting the number of bloods required still doesn't do anything to change the fact that some players will crit this on their first try and others will rack up 10+ tries based entirely on luck.

This is the sort of terrible quest design that makes players go out and buy Kinah.

Really, the whole "Critical Crafting" system is the problem. If you want to reward players by luck, give them a 20% chance to get back half the materials while crafting. Or create two versions of items, a cheap version that fails 80% of the time, and an expensive version that always works, so players can choose whether to trust luck or to simply take the harder route for ensured success.

-SirNiko

Posted: May 30th 2010 10:48AM Ephe said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
lol.

They're addressing the problem half a year after it made the majority of max level players quit.

I don't think I'll come back to this game anymore.

Posted: May 30th 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

  • 1 heart
  • Report
Wow if your quiting because of a balancing issue on one quest you will never be happy with a video game,mybe a board game would be more appropriate?
Reply

Posted: May 30th 2010 3:26PM Ephe said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Mate, it's not just me. There's nothing else to do in this game except farming those blood stains or repeating Dark Poeta. PvP is broken and unrewarding to the point that it's a better time investment to just run around a fort and grind mobs.
2-4 weeks after reaching the cap my whole guild quit, my friends and most of the other max level population. I've never seen such a migration from a game in my gaming history.
I hope this gave you an idea why I reacted the way I did. You don't seem to have played it or reached the cap.
Reply

Posted: May 30th 2010 5:03PM (Unverified) said

  • 2.5 hearts
  • Report
@Ray

Perhaps you've never played Aion. This quest just represents a problem present all over Aion. Everything is based on RNG, and there's no way to influence it. From crafting success to critical proc rates, to PvP determined by random knockdowns, godstone procs or chain procs, low, low item drop rates from instance bosses to manastone / enchantment stone success rates, every aspect of Aion is dictated by strict RNG, and often the player has no way at all to influence it. Even picking flowers, something mundane, basic, and uninteresting involves some weird die-rolling that can cause you to remain rooted in place for several seconds and even fail outright, based entirely upon pure randomness.

This quest is just the poster child of this terrible luck design thanks to it being a major campaign quest that costs obscene amounts of time and kinah to attempt, and success and failure literally hinges completely on a single roll of the die that cannot be influenced in any way, shape or form. Failure means you get to go back to the core and grind bloods in competition with folks who have already got their quest rewards and now are at a major advantage in combat and who intend to sell you more blood at a strict markup.

-SirNiko
Reply

Posted: May 30th 2010 6:45PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Things like the HHoM are what break games. Unfortunately NCSoft/West or whatever you want to call them are ignorant to our pleas and will continue with their awful game design. I cancelled sub when I saw the "big change" to HHoM was 125>100 bloods and dropping from a few more mobs.

It's this kind of advertising and baiting of players that disgusts me. They dangle people along on a string, feeding them little bits of loot, or info along the way. I've had enough of that bullcrap. Disagree with me if you like, but I know I'm right.

1.9 offers this game nothing, and hundreds if not thousands of people will re-sub to see if it changed a game that had a great base idea but no development to continue it.

More gold to line NC's pockets, I suppose. *expletive deleted by editor*

Posted: May 30th 2010 6:46PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
Oh, just an edit. I completed my Miragents on my 6th try. After 3 months of farming.
Reply

Posted: May 30th 2010 8:34PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
I guess none of you took the time to, oh I don't know, actually jump to the link and read this little gem...

"You also might want to note that if you%u2019ve failed to Crit your Heart five times, you can talk to Moorinerk in Pandaemonium or Koruchinerk in Sanctum. I have it on good authority that they have a special interest in regular Hearts of Magic."

I signed up to the site to post this. *ad hominem deleted*

Congrats.

Posted: May 30th 2010 8:41PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
We all know this. He gives you 100 bloods. This was in the game months ago. Keep in mind that when this was implemented, 100 bloods wasn't enough blood to try again, and even in 1.9 that doesn't account for the fluxes you need.

Like I said in my first post, the problem is the RNG. This change does not address that.

-SirNiko
Reply

Posted: May 31st 2010 11:30AM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
What SirNeko said, that Shugo who gives you 100 blood stains is already well known to anyone who failed their first attempt.
Reply

Posted: May 31st 2010 12:35AM Langx2 said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
What a *expletive deleted* joke, it just goes to show you how out of touch these *expletive deleted* at ncsoft are. This, combined with 1.9 essentially being a short term pre-patch for 2.0 BUT 2.0 COMING IN 4-6 months just shows what kind of incompetent (at best) or intentionally evil (at worst) these people are.

The main bulk of players were complaining about rng and hot heart of magic within 1-2 months of the game being released, and they are going to pretend that this "epic" change "just" suddenly came to them and they are really listening to their players? They have lost so many players, according to their quarterly report, that they are about to start LOSING money on a game less than a year old. Thier "sollution" is to offer the 1.9 prepatch and then delay the REAL 2.0 update for another half of a *expletive deleted* year? This is why your game is failing!

1.9 does nothing to address the main problem of the game, the complete lack of end game. Saving people a few hours/million ... More

Posted: May 31st 2010 1:17PM (Unverified) said

  • 2 hearts
  • Report
you guys are complaining about RNG crafting. A few months ago someone told me ncsoft will make crafting more of a pain, i laughed at him. Playing on the pts and looking at the recipe, to craft an orange item in 2.0, you will have to proc 4 times, I mean 4 times, first from white-green-noble blue-noble blue-yellow-orange, which is equivalent to a probability of 1/256 assuming a proc rate of 25%.

Aion is a nice pretty game but this whole RNG thing has to go. A pvp game shouldn't be dependent on luck or rolls. And the game should be design so that if you are skilled you should win. It seems every patch they end up buffing classes which is fine, till you realize a Cleric can sometimes outdps a sorcs if they have a the right godstone and with the awesome bonus of not being to cc.

I still play aion, but mostly because i have nothing better to do and i m just waiting on Guild wars 2.

Featured Stories

Engadget

Engadget

Joystiq

Joystiq

WoW Insider

WoW

TUAW

TUAW