Posted: May 28th 2010 6:50PM sandwiches said

After looking at the new Code of Conduct, I can't really imagine that it wasn't like that before. I mean, I don't think racist comments or trolling was allowed before. What were the major changes?

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:20PM Seraphina Brennan said

To be honest, there really aren't much changes except that we're going to start really enforcing these rules. That's really the major change here, and we felt that we needed to get these rules written down and visible before we began to moderate.

~Sera

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:00PM Orvidos said

. . .

4. Don't troll

I guess my commenting days are done.

(Sounds more than reasonable to me.)

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

Gonna watch over a period of time if this moderation is more heavily enforced in Cryptic-related topics.

Posted: May 31st 2010 3:31PM mysecretid said

If the moderation goes up on Cryptic posts, it may be because there are a few posters who seem to go into /any/ Cryptic posts just looking to start a troll-fight.

It's within a person's rights to hate Cryptic as a publisher; to hate their games; and to be vocal in announcing their hatred at every single opportunity ...

... but, a few of the scraps which get started in Cryptic threads here lately go way beyond expression of opinion. Clamping down on these would not be a sign of favoritism toward Cryptic or its products, only a sign of favoring the Code of Conduct rules.

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:03PM whateveryousay said

You will NEVER pin me down with your, "rules" man! You can't like, tell the wind which way to blow, man. You can't force the rain to pour on down like a God, man. You don't rule my world!

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:17PM Seraphina Brennan said

That rug totally held the room together, dude.

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:29PM Wild Colors said

[comment deleted for failure to conform with Code of Conduct. there is no conspiracy. move along.]

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:39PM Cendres said

I'd like to say thank you for enforcing this, I hope it's not creating too much extra work for you guys :/ But at the same time I it'll be easier to ignore some things if we know someone will come along for the clean up.

Thank you again for making this a great place to read gaming news. ^_^

Posted: May 28th 2010 7:57PM Its Utakata stupid said

...accept over at WoW Forums they have similar rules about trolling and spamming (though they don't apparently have anything against flamebaiting I am aware of). And Blizz use it occasionally on players who disagree with them from time to time by handing out forum vacations. I really hope Massively does not resort to that low handed abuse of power with their CoD.

I say things that make peeps uncomfortable at times. But there is a reason why I say it. *I can tell you I am not flamebaiting, trolling or spamming when I say it. If there is an issue with, feel free to debate the merits of what I stated and not censor me instead. Thank you.

*Note: I'll leave that exercise to Derek Smart. :)

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:38PM Seraphina Brennan said

I'm not really into doing that. I'd rather have your opinions up and create an honest-to-goodness interesting discussion than rip those comments down and lose that perspective.

Sometimes when we disagree, it's a lot more interesting than when we do agree. :)

~Sera

Posted: May 28th 2010 10:45PM Its Utakata stupid said

Thank you, Sera...I appreciate that. :)

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:00PM AlamoeJones said

Fascism! Now we're all at least aware that you're helping to move America closer to socialism!

But no, seriously, those rules are more than reasonable and I wish you guys luck in enforcing them. The trolling here was getting to be a little much (although not nearly as bad as WoW.com).

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:05PM jmerriex said

I CAN HAZ CHEEZEBURGER NO MOAR?!?!?!??!

Seriously though, I enjoy coming here a lot so I am happy to follow any and all rules y'all set forth! To be honest, I don't think I've had any conversation here that has strayed from the rules. Though I do know better than to go lurking in the comment section of anything relating to that company that does comic book based games...

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:37PM Seraphina Brennan said

I'll give you the your cheezburger back if you tell me what the heck your icon is, because it's also on your business card, and it still confuses me after all this time and I finally feel the need to ask what it is because it's annoying me to no end.

And that's one hell of a run on sentence.

Posted: May 28th 2010 9:01PM jmerriex said

LOL. I like to think of it as a Rorschach test! If I say what it is then it will loose its mystique!

P.S. It's a Lute :P

Posted: May 28th 2010 9:10PM Seraphina Brennan said

*tilts the business card sideways*

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Now it makes sense.

Posted: May 28th 2010 10:06PM Serious Table said

Hey, more comments from the writers would be fantastic! One of my favorite things here at Massively is being able to reply to opinions posted by them. One of my less favorite things is not getting much of a response. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Posted: May 28th 2010 10:16PM (Unverified) said

I would like to see an article that discusses which game has the most draconian forum rules and enforcement.

I for one left SWG partially because of that. Anyone that thinks Blizzard is bad, it's virtually anarchy compared to SOE (at least before I left around NGE time).

Posted: May 29th 2010 1:54PM Brianna Royce said

I think the problem on the official WoW forum is the sheer number of posts and posters. It creates a situation where moderation appears inconsistent, because their moderators rely almost entirely on other users hitting that report button. They can't realistically read every post themselves.

On the SWG forum, the moderators are very strict, but they have a much smaller userbase, and, whether or not I agree with all of their rules, I can say that their enforcement of policy is surprisingly consistent, over the long time I've played.

Fortunately, our rules are much more lenient and we don't have to deal with angry customers. :D

-Bree