Posted: Jun 6th 2010 8:07AM (Unverified) said

I got this virus and had my two WoW accounts stolen. Ironically my Symantec virus scanner declared to computer to be completely clean and I had to download Avast to locate the trojan.

Posted: May 28th 2010 5:23PM (Unverified) said

To all the people who doubted how serious NCsoft's security issues were (more notably, aion's) feast your eyes upon this gem of an article.

Posted: May 28th 2010 5:47PM Dumac said

As far as i understand from reading Symantec's blog entry is that the information is gathered from users' computers with information-stealing malware and then checked for validity with this trojan. It doesn't have anything to do with NCSofts or any other companies security systems because that's not whats getting hacked.

Posted: May 28th 2010 5:55PM karnisov said

how is ncsoft responsible for accounts that get hacked with keyloggers on the customer's pc?

Posted: May 28th 2010 5:56PM (Unverified) said

"This particular database server we uncovered seems very much to be the heart of the operation—part of a distributed password checker aimed at Chinese gaming websites. The stolen login credentials are not just from particular online games, but also include user login accounts associated with sites that host a variety of online games."

Sorry, what?

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:28PM (Unverified) said

Chris, the big Asian free-to-play publishers run multiple games connected to the same username/password login. I think they're trying to say they found logins for individual games (e.g. WoW) and also logins for f2p publisher accounts.

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:31PM Enikuo said

To clarify, I think what the blog is implying, and what Chris is highlighting is that some of the accounts were stolen from gaming sites. The biggest security complaints for Aion related to their Web site being insecure, not the actual game. So, it could be NCSoft's responsibility if their Web site was not secure.

Posted: May 28th 2010 5:58PM (Unverified) said

Oh, just for good measure: "Most botnets have the ability to download and run files, so why not push a custom piece of malware to each bot? The malware could log on to the database and download a group of user names and passwords in order to check them for validity."

Maybe you should read the blog. It is very informative.

Posted: May 28th 2010 6:52PM pcgneurotic said

I'd never heard of Wayi before today, but their website is fan-farging-tastic! :D

Posted: May 29th 2010 5:56PM Azimn said

I think someone might have tried to steal my Guild Wars account, not sure if they did it or not as I just got banned.

Your account was permanently closed because it was found to be related to networks which sell in-game items for cash or other items with real world value. This action is against our User Agreement, where Section 7 states, "You may not sell or auction any Guild Wars accounts, characters, items, coin or copyrighted material, nor may you assist others in doing so."

I never did anything like this ever. I just bought the War in Kryta armor in the in game store, could that be why I got this email? I feel betrayed I have played this game for years. I am so mad and I found out that I will have to wait until Tues. to call them.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 6:27PM lpetersson said

I have an authenticator for my WoW account, so these things generally don't worry me on a personal level.

And given that the authenticator is only about £7, I really don't understand why people don't just get it...

Posted: Jun 3rd 2010 1:28AM kasapina said

Because to get it delivered to most countries outside NA is not only a hassle, it's ten times as expensive.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge