Posted: May 28th 2010 1:43PM Mr A said

What I find frustrating is when you join a roleplaying server, and the majority of people on there aren't roleplaying. That's why I save most of my roleplaying for sitting down with pencils and paper and dice.

Posted: May 28th 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

Roleplaying is one area where I've found that I like what Cryptic is doing with Champions Online, A LOT.

With the integration to Twitter, I've found myself writing in-character tweets while I move about the game. I've actually gone as far as copying the combined Tweets into blog entries, complete with character pictures, and appropriate tagging.

I've tried to roleplay in World of Warcraft, and I just didn't find it as engaging as I do in Champions Online. I think the addition of the nemesis system, and the ability to customize my character's appearance to the nth degree really makes it easy to roleplay there, more so than any other MMO.

Posted: May 28th 2010 2:20PM (Unverified) said

I should also add, I'm finding that my guild mates are actually going along with my RP, and using some of it in their own character development.

...Of course, I wasn't thrilled that one of them has used my main as her nemesis, but that plotline is still... evolving.

Posted: May 28th 2010 3:01PM JustPlainJim said

Well, there's always evil clones from alternate dimensions, if you don't mind being a bit cliche.

I agree with you that the ability to customize helps RP scenarios immensely, especially since many of the NPC faction costumes can be made (or at least approximated) in the costume designer.

I really want to find a good RP group in CO (or WoW or STO for that matter), but I just haven't found one yet. I need to poke around on the forums and see what I can find.

Posted: May 28th 2010 3:56PM (Unverified) said

A lot of games simply don't support role-playing at all. It's something you desperately shoe-horn into the game like machminima video.

Games like City of X give you lots of options for building a custom character with varied skill sets and themes, which means you can develop a whole personality around you, and at the same time, that personality is supported by the skills you use or the way you dress.

Games like World of Warcraft pretty much require you to wear whatever gives the best stats. Your skills are pretty much identical to anyone else of your class. You're constantly meeting different people throughout, so it's hard to develop and maintain a coherent, memorable identity outside of a forum.

One thing I avoid when roleplaying in an MMO: coming up with things that are outside the scope of the game. You can make up a story about how your mother is so and so, or your father's from here, but it's really hard for a player to connect that with you unless you're constantly roleplaying with that same person, or you start off with a long information session pointing out all these obscure details. Things like mannerisms (emotes you use often, phrases you often repeat) are much easier to identify, and therefore are more easily recognized traits for people you don't play with often. Unusual color choices or a particular pet or equip are other good options.

Things like roleplaying a friendly meeting with the other faction are dangerous. Most games don't support this at all, between the language barriers, auto-aggro guard mobs and level-based PvP making lowbies easy marks. It just looks silly on the outside, and you're inviting uninteresting PvP.

By contrast, picking some weird location to engage in a PvP siege can promote some interesting roleplay, as rumors spread that the attack is to bring out some particular guild/high level player, or it's an attempt to kill some high level NPC and the other faction should protect it. The game supports this completely via in-game mechanics, and even if you don't give a flip about the roleplaying you want to get involved anyway because the concept can be distilled down to "kill the attackers, they're attacking this person".

-SirNiko

Posted: May 28th 2010 8:19PM Dblade said

I don't think Champions did that well either. Even with the freedom to make a themed build, you still need to toss in non-concept things just to level smoothly.

The only advice that I have ever seen work is to have a very strict interview process to filter the bad roleplayers out and roleplayers of the type you want in. Create exact guidelines, post them on a forum, refer people to it, and interview people in and out of character. Same as guild drama, really.

You can adapt, but the other person may not care. You can be positive, but they just think that you like what they are doing and miss what you don't like. You can over-communicate easily. It's all about the type of person you are, and the type the other person is.

Posted: May 28th 2010 10:43PM MewmewGrrl said

I really know of one single graphical game that's totally RP enforced, and then a few text MUDs that are.

I like role playing a lot, but I can't do it every day, I have to be in the mood for it.

I hate restrictive role play tho. I understand that the world is mostly farmers and peons and that there are only a few powerful magicians and such, but it's NO FUN to play the peons and farmers for the most part while watching the few that get to be powerful around. That's why good NPCs are important too, to fill out the world with peons who don't care that they're peons. Those that get to be the powerful characters like to keep them elite and keep others from being them, but it's just not fun being the normal wimp.

That's what people found out with Star Wars Galaxies. Sure it was a great simulation of what being a moisture farmer was like in the background, but that's not very fun. We want to be a powerful hero. If we want to be a normal nobody, we'll just live our real lives :D

Posted: May 29th 2010 12:09AM (Unverified) said

there's just 2 things you really need to remember for roleplaying... first, you're not your character - you play a role, like an actor in theatre. Second, either you are in-character or you aren't - you either play the role or you don't. There's just no "light RP".
All the other "rules" that exist are just fuzz to help you with those two.

now go and have fun RPing :)