Posted: May 25th 2010 6:13PM (Unverified) said

Unfortunately Seraphina, while you were able to find some nice comparison screenshots with Shader 3.0, you seem to have missed some major bugs that shouldn't have made it through to the upgrade's launch.

The most noticeable was when I logged onto a trial toon to see how Gfay looked. Keep in mind this is running with maximum settings across the board on a pretty monstrous rig:

For one, the shadows are waaaay too dark right now. Those are GPU shadows set about mid-way for darkness, and only by setting them to full lightness did they become remotely acceptable. You'll also notice the fae hair isn't impacted by the shaders, giving it a strange luminosity similar to a basic prim in Second Life with the light setting turned on. LoN paintings suffer a similar issue with their gold border, as do certain gold basin house items. I haven't checked more thoroughly than that.

The biggest issue for me, however, is how overboard SOE seems to have gone with this gloss effect. The entire world now feels...oily. My character, the buildings, the terrain, it all looks like its been covered in a sloppy coat of oil, and it makes me feel greasy just looking at it.

Here's another screenshot displaying the oily-ness:

While I appreciate SOE's efforts to keep their game visually updated, art just has never seemed to be EQ2's strong point. I'll hope that in the coming patches they can polish these issues, but in the meantime...well, I wouldn't say EQ2 is catching up to AoC any time soon. (In fact, I've found it really difficult, graphically, to get used to even more recent releases after spending as much time as I have in AoC since the expansion).

Posted: May 25th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

Dont EQ2 use SM2.0?

Posted: May 25th 2010 6:16PM Beau Hindman said

Cool, thanks for the explanation. That's why everything seemed a little darker to me, because the lighting was just more...realistic? I didn't see any performance hit, and once I got used to it it did look better.

Now I can say that I know how this works. Thanks Massively.com! *thumbs up* lol

Beau

Posted: May 25th 2010 6:45PM Birk said

Bah, something about EQ2 graphics just rub me the wrong way. Have fun with the new overhaul though!

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

It's one of the main reasons I could never get into the game, despite several attempts over the years. The environments are quite beautiful, but the characters are hideous. Oh sure, at the time they were impressive from a technological standpoint, but they lacked style... Or artistry. Or... something.

Posted: May 26th 2010 2:43AM mysecretid said

@derella

I have the same problem with EQ 2 -- there came a day when my character was simply too ugly, by modern graphics standards, for me to continue playing. The graphics pulled me out of the game, instead of pulling me further into it.

I enjoyed EQ 2, and I'd like to go back at some point -- but until the graphics, and the character graphics in particular, get a true upgrade -- I don't think that's going to happen.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:00PM sandwiches said

Too bad Shader 3.0 can't fix the uncanny valley, plastic look of the characters in the game.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:11PM mode7overworld said

Glad to see some folks here commenting on the awkwardness of EQII's graphics. I always thought I was taking crazy pills when the visuals were always getting praised. EQII has a look that's very reminiscent of late 90's CGI - it looks like a generic fantasy version of Lawnmower Man.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:15PM Riskichi said

Sadly, EQ2 has always had character models looked like they were designed by somebody who lacked style or imagination. They're so sterile.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:26PM (Unverified) said

Although a great game that needs more pop in EU, to be honest it has a long way to go with that plastic toy characters and armors if we gonna compare it with AoC graphics. Also there is something bugging me with the game's color palette too.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:27PM Saker said

The environments look better to me, but the character models no better or even worse (just judging by the presented screen-shots).

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:53PM Seraphina Brennan said

Like I said... some things it just doesn't do that well on. It's the more subtle things that really get the flair.

~Sera

Posted: May 25th 2010 8:52PM TheGreatMachine said

She has SOGA turned on which doesn't help. SOGA was added for the Asian markets, made by a third party. I personally find them sub-par.

Posted: May 25th 2010 8:53PM TheGreatMachine said

Err forgot to explain what SOGA was, alternative models for some rases to make them more anime style.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:27PM TheJackman said

Really hope they will fix the models soon I cant stand them!! If they do you got 1 more sub right here!

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:54PM Xii said

Wow, gotta say shader 3.0 is nice in theory, not so hot in execution.

Here's a close up of my character without shader 3.0 enabled:

Here's the same view, but with Shader 3.0 turned on:

My evil pink fairy turned brown and now her undead horse is shiny. Ugly.

Posted: May 25th 2010 8:20PM (Unverified) said

This change brings out the details that always existed in the game, and increases the modernity of the game as a whole. I personally think it rivals Age of Conan now, to some degree, and that makes me a happy, happy player.

Seriously Seriphina? Rival AoC graphics? That made me LOL

Posted: May 25th 2010 9:02PM Seraphina Brennan said

• 1 heart
That's my opinion. *shrugs* I'm reminded of AoC's graphics when I turn on Shader 3.0. I know people aren't going to agree with it, but hey, that's my opinion. I totally respect yours. I mean, many aspects of AoC obviously make it superior, but the way the bump mapping is being highlighted by EQII right now just reminds me of AoC, ya know?

~Sera

Posted: May 25th 2010 9:59PM Egobrane said

Sera, how well does it effect performance? I've been hopping around MMOs until FFXIV comes out, and I played Everquest 2 for a bit but it really ran terrible no matter what I did on my PC, which is really odd because I'm running a GTX275 with 4GB of RAM and a core 2 duo @ 3.4GHz. I still have an active sub on the antonia bayle server.. only a 30 berserker, but something about the game felt kind of generic. I really enjoyed it and it was a great game, but I have trouble really commiting to an MMO that I'm not going to play for too long with an impending release on the horizon.

Posted: May 26th 2010 6:42AM (Unverified) said

You wont be able to run it with that rig. The performance hit is huge and only top end machines will be able to handle it.

I do want to mention, on the plus side, that the GPU shadow options with newer cards can make the game look great. I just re-subbed and I am having a blast. 3.0 is a let down, but more so in the way it looks than performs.

3.0 makes EVERYTHING look shiny, and it just feels weird.

Also, imo, newer zones look better. I have been away from EQ 2 since KOS and as I travel Norrath to expansion ares the game looks better.