Posted: May 25th 2010 12:29PM Morde said

The sad part of playing UO now with the 'Enhanced Client', is that it is a mismash of the bad of the classic client, with the Kingdom Reborn client. Its pixelated, and terrible to look at. While the gameplay itself is fun, and the game is definitely worth playing, the graphic 'overhaul' reverted the game from looking like:

to looking like this:

Personally, I'd suggest the classic client, at least the look of it is coherent and lowres all over, the 'Enhanced Client' is to be honest, just garbage in its presentation currently.

Posted: May 25th 2010 2:49PM Brianna Royce said

Heyo! I played in the beginning too, and I was on the first ship to switch to the "3D" client, the KR client, and the EC client, as each came out in succession. Even as a long-time veteran, I strongly prefer the EC client over all of the others. I simply can't stomach the classic look nowadays, I'm just too spoiled by eye-candy. I totally understand why people would want the old look for nostalgia's sake, of course -- I use the pre-NGE UI mod in SWG, for example. But in UO's case, the older client so many players cling to (for understandable reasons) is actually holding the game back and preventing growth and development. It's a real bind, that EA-Mythic is now in -- they can abandon the old client and move forward with a new client, at the expense of a big chunk of their playerbase. Baby with the bathwater? Killing a game to save it? Lose-lose.

It'll be interesting to see whether this problem crops up in other games in your "Archaeologist" series, Justin. Lots of old games get graphics overhauls, but how many keep supporting their archaic clients?

-Bree

Posted: May 25th 2010 12:58PM Scopique said

I, for one, have fond memories of UO back when it launched...The thing is, you need to A) invest time into it, and B) do it with friends. The time investment because of the skill system, and the friends because in a sandbox environment where you can do anything at any time, coordinating with others is part of the excitement.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:54PM karnisov said

icq. how retro. lol.

Posted: May 25th 2010 2:06PM Seffrid said

"coordinating with others is part of the excitement"

Even tho' the game doesn't allow you to talk to them!

Nice write-up, an interesting read. Nothing here to suggest I want to take a look, however, it didn't impress me in 1998 and I don't think the retro isometric low-res game client without proper communications is going to do too much for me in 2010!

Why it's never been properly upgraded or a sequel made will, of course, remain one of life's greatest mysteries.

Posted: May 25th 2010 2:57PM Brianna Royce said

Just to be clear -- UO has had "local" chat from the beginning, and a limited guild chat went in in the first year or two. A full chat system went in right around the time parties were implemented, was that the second expansion? But it was fairly clunky, which is why many people stuck to outside formats. Chat got a massive revamp when the fully-redone client for KR went into beta, and nowadays, if you're using the modern client (not the classic client), chat functions like pretty much any other modern MMO, with tabs, channels, tells, and so on.

I can't speak for everyone, but in the first few years of the game, ICQ was primarily used for private messages. Nearly everyone I knew in the community used IRC for guild chat and that sort of thing.

Posted: May 25th 2010 2:25PM Hothnogg said

I played UO for on to 7 years, last 2 of that i only logged on to farm items to sell on ebay, yes i know no one likes a gold seller, but back then to me it was a great income :)
Shame the game never got a proper graphic upgrade.
Biggest thing i hated about UO was that houses didnt decay properly, they was always bugged or the decay was turned off.
ICQ omg i though that chat program died years ago lol

Posted: May 25th 2010 3:04PM Azzura said

The lack of a chat system made it special. There was no chat spam when you were out having fun....no people saying useless garbage. Everything was local. If you wanted to see if your friend was online - you dropped by their house :) There was team chat though if you wanted to chat with a friend and go off on your own. I always used ICQ and Netmeeting.

That was one thing I did love about UO - being able to mark a spot...and return to it with a simple cast of a recall spell. Poof - You were at your friend's house. I had so many books in my backpack of marked spots dyed all different colors. Fel Cities, Fel Dungeons, Lockpicking spots, Shops, Farming spots. I loved that game.

Posted: May 29th 2010 4:28PM Sethisto said

UO had a lot more focus on roleplaying than current gen MMO's

The local chat system really brought this out. Selling things in a city meant you went to where everyone met up, and sold your stuff right there.

In some ways I miss it, but MMO's these days couldn't function without the chat systems they currently have. Ultima didn't require you to get 5 people togeather to take on an instanced dungeon. You found groups by heading to the dungeon and talking to people inside/around the entrance. It wasn't instanced like today's games.

And the game wasn't ever much of a questing game. You pretty much wrote your own quests.

Back when I played, everyone was human. You differentiated yourself based upon what you wore and what colors you dyed it.

Posted: May 25th 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

Noobs. You didn't even get off the tutorial island, and you write an article about it? Your not worthy of the free trial you were given.

Posted: May 26th 2010 11:50AM (Unverified) said

Sort of a waste to come back to UO as it is now...it's a shell of what it was. The new features that were put in an attempt to bring people back just made the game die off more from when Trammel was implemented.

Can't see why you would write an article from such little time played--can't imagine that the surface of the game was even penetrated.

Posted: Aug 1st 2012 1:09PM (Unverified) said

Oh yea of little knowledge....

UO was never the founding of MMO(RPG)'s.
There is one (for "the west") that pre-dates this by well over 1 year.
It's called Meridian 59 and was first released by 3DO 15th of December in 1995.
The second release was in september 1996, still over 1 year pre-dating UO.

In "the east" there are many more graphical "3d" like MMO's predating even Meridian 59.

And ofcourse we all know that MMORPG's with "still" graphics or even ones without graphics all predate those by many many years.
Colossal Cave Adventure anyone?

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM