Posted: May 25th 2010 10:51AM Argo747 said

I really want to like this game... but I'm still a bit gun shy after my experiences with AION. I know the game looks pretty but please please be sure to include enough content to avoid grinding random world mobs in order to advance.

Posted: May 25th 2010 11:08AM (Unverified) said

Don't get your hopes up. Korean MMO = grinding crap.

Posted: May 25th 2010 11:50AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
wolverine, that's the premise based around all MMO's , tard'

TERA looks great, new combat, good graphics and the support already looks to be there, can't wait!

Posted: May 25th 2010 3:07PM (Unverified) said

Cali, grinding crap is an unfortunate side effect of MMOs. Most people play these games for huge, persistent worlds, massive player communities, open-world PvP and player or GM run events. The grind is just filler to keep people occupied, not what people came for or what they want to do.

The problem with Korean games is they contain nothing but the grinder filler. Maybe you enjoy that. The rest of us want something that actually tries to be innovative and fun rather than a sea of copy/paste mobs that have some lore behind them if you can bothered to look up the background on the game website.

Tera shows promise, but they're going to have to work really hard to prove themselves after the Aion debacle. Being a Korean game is bad enough, having ties to NCSoft means this will be an uphill battle.

-SirNiko

Posted: May 25th 2010 11:08AM (Unverified) said

It's not enough to have a large, impressively detailed body of lore. It needs to be cohesive and permeates the essential gameplay. Anyone can invent a bunch of names and prop them up against the pattern of some tired creation myth. It's another thing to make sure that it affects the architecture, gear styles, and the historical narrative of the world.

It is not reassuring that lore appears to have not been one of the first things developed and largely finished. Ultimately, I suspect it will be more of the same: lore relegated to a few public space sculptures, major events, plot twists, or loot, and expansion marketting materials, with world designs remaining be an ostentatious, arbitrary, and mongrel treatment of fantasyscifi-litvid influences.

It should still be a blast. But there's more to lore than writing a world bible. Else, it's lolquesttext as usual.

Posted: May 25th 2010 11:51AM AlluvianEstEndrati said

Aion was more than just a grind, too much of that game was a theme park... but then a lot of MMOs suffer from that problem. Once you level out of an area there is seldom any reason to return. More MMOs need to work on retaining the usefulness of the older zones, but that is difficult when the player character power creep method of advancement is used and old content becomes... trivial.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:34PM Lateris said

I have a question. The game is developed in S. Korea. How is the American side working on this game? Are they writing new code to adapt it to our play style here in the US? I understand the translation work. But I have to wonder what the production process is here in the states in terms of development. I use the free UT III UDK tools so I am interested to see how the UT III engine will work in this scenario.

I love the art work. I love the terrain maps. Grind doesn’t bother me because "every" MMO "rpg" has grind. One thing I like about Eve, SWG, AoC, and parts of LOTRO is that I do have to return to zones,plaents, areas, etc.

Posted: May 25th 2010 3:21PM Audacious said

No whack-a-mole healing is good, but it's funny to read that this game is trying to "go beyond the traditional fantasy tropes" even though it still has high elves and dark elves (of a different sort) playable.

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM