Posted: May 25th 2010 11:49AM AlluvianEstEndrati said

A very nice trailer in my opinion. I am actually a bit surprised that the story elements of the game are being brought to the fore in this fashion in the trailer. Prior to this there has not been too much official news or intel on the backstory of the game.

While I am not expecting a 'The Old Republic' level of story elements in APB, I do hope that there is slightly more to the game than we have seen thus far. Though I will admit the gameplay looks refreshingly addictive.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:15PM Distaste said

There actually was a podcast on their site that went into the factions of the game and how things were shaping up for the enforcer vs criminal portion of the game. I fully expect this game to build on the politics system with their new districts and district control that will come out sometime after release.

Posted: May 25th 2010 12:09PM redsolar said

I like APB's art style a lot. Let's hope their mechanics and variety of gameplay live up to the same level on release.

Posted: May 25th 2010 12:17PM cray said

• Half a heart
Wow...that was weak. Most the compelling parts were the actual snippets of text. From that trailer alone I can tell they didn't put much thought in creating a storyline. We don't even see this so-called assassination or even a hint of who killed him. A brief cameo of a female at the podium and we are suppose feel something from that?

They could have gone little deeper in their storytelling. It certainly would've pulled in more interest.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:15PM Distaste said

So they are supposed to give you the entire story in a trailer? Obviously you've never seen or heard of a trailer before. Go watch the podcast videos or play the game if you're so interested in the storyline, hence the purpose of a trailer. The girl at the podium is the Mayor of San Paro and it's just supposed to be a glimpse at her as the rest of the story is IN THE GAME. She basically took down a lot of shady political figures, which forces a power struggle in the city.

IMO it introduces the game and the the reasons behind the enforcers vs criminals just fine. This isn't a game that is meant to have a deep storyline since you're supposed to make your own story.

"Could someone please give me the back story as to why I'm supposed to rob this store?"
"...ummm you're a criminal"
"OH! Right!"

See? Story doesn't really play a huge factor just like it doesn't in FPS multiplayer games. Heck Battlefield 1942, 2, 2142,etc didn't even have a singleplayer game let alone a big story. The most you got was faction names and a map.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:12PM Lethality said

• Half a heart
Very weak...amateur voiceover as well.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Yes, the trailer is quite lame. Tells you nothing and really gives no incentive to be interested.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:27PM (Unverified) said

Trust me the intro is just enough you need to know the rest of the story is up to you. APB is not a MMO in the regular since it is more of a Battlefield made up of 100 player maps and a neutral area for trade. If you like controlling the look of everything you do and Battlefield get this. Lets just say watching Captain America fight the ATeam was epic yesterday...

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:49PM (Unverified) said

@doodle

I see your types on the ABP forums. QQ more

Its a run gun game that except for the 3rd person view is a Battlefield game. Should be called Battlefield GTA. Also its called Beta for a reason and also if you check the APB forums there are polls on some issues you may like to vote on like limb and head damage.

Posted: May 25th 2010 5:18PM MrGutts said

APB has forums? I don't recall seeing any forums of any kind on the main website. The FB page you can't give any feedback at all, they just post marketing info on it.

Posted: May 25th 2010 6:31PM foofad said

Opticalstrike doesn't seem to realize that the forums are for beta participants only.

Posted: May 30th 2010 1:25PM kasapina said

He was adressing doodle, who obviously is a beta tester.

Posted: May 25th 2010 2:20PM kasapina said

Personally, I prefer it without any limb/head/torso damage, since the game is already finely balanced around taking cover, and it is really frustrating to die just because the enemy managed to hit you in the head, something you have no control over. It's a lot better to die because you didn't take cover quickly enough, something that is entirely your fault. Sure, it seems I am a minority here, given how popular the headshot model is, but anyhow, I simply don't like it in my games, especially in a GTA-style game.

The gun you start with is just as good as any gun, they give you a gun which is the middle ground - you can use it to defeat shotguns by going long range and to compete with snipers by going up close, basically it is a jack of all trades, master of none. Additionally, provided the matchmaking system works at launch (I assume it will, since it is getting better and better every day), you will fight people with your skill level and since they will all be newbies, they will all have the same gun as you.

A lot of people complained about the combat system, but I like it the way it is. I guess many people won't like it, and that is fine - everyone has the right to have an opinion.

Posted: May 25th 2010 4:39PM (Unverified) said

I don't really care which system they use, all I'm saying is, its faulty. I'm not having fun, at all.

But hey, by all means join the hype, help convince ppl to pre-order. I wanted so bad for this game to be great. Just like I did with AoC, STO, WAR, Champions Online, Fallen Earth and so on. I just hoped this would live up to its promises. But alas... that hope is gone.

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:31PM zomd said

This kind of trailer was needed earlier on in the hype process, at least for gamers lik e me. It does a nice job setting up the lore which fuels the interaction.

It also showcased some wicked designs. I'm worried I won't be able to come up with anything nearly as cool.

That said, I'm not seeing a lot of variety in the type of clothing available to act as a canvas for our designs. It looks like a lot of skater punk clothes (which is fine), but what about mod inspired tailoring, etc?

Anybody from beta that can comment on that?

Posted: May 26th 2010 1:04AM kasapina said

My enforcer has a military uniform (I didn't bother making it camo though, many people say it's very communist - looking). The amount of punk clothes is overwhelming because well, that's what's regular for this kind of game. There are even some spiderman copies running around, some successful, others less so.

It is true that the game limits you to the clothing types you can buy, and while they are many, they aren't infinite. I suppose more will be added in the future, if there is enough demand for a particular type. For me, the variety is more than enough.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2010 8:27AM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry. I'm with doodle.

The game is massively flawed as it stands. There are some issues at the moment which mean the game, one month from release is incredibly one sided and unfair. Those issues will go in time.

The problem is that the game is very shallow and very boring. The majority of the beta testers have stressed that they are not enjoying the game and find it dull.

The game has amazing potential but it won't survive long enough to see that potential realized. Most of the beta testers, and I do mean most, believe it will be a huge flop.

Posted: May 29th 2010 2:38AM kasapina said

This, sad as it is, is true. There are still a good amount of things that need tweaking, and I don't believe that they have the time to do it with the launch date this close, even though stuff has been getting better and better with good speed recently. As for the game getting boring, well, it is not an mmo. You are not supposed to play 3 months to level 80, and then 2 months for top - notch gear before you get bored. It's more like CoD/TF, where you login occasionally for a match or two. The game will really suffer from being brandished an mmo by the media, even though the devs keep repeating that it is not one.

Oh, and there will be more content at launch, so I guess it will provide something interesting and new for us testers to play with.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant