Posted: May 23rd 2010 2:19PM (Unverified) said

The Shire is the best low-level zone in any MMO, ever.* You've got pies to deliver, pub crawls to go on whilst so drunk you can barely see the road, a brilliant ringwraith attack, and if all else fails, chicken play.

Some people don't like delivering post and avoiding nosy hobbits trying to get a peek in the postbag for some 0day gossip. Some people don't like fun.

* May not be true. But it totally is.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:23PM AlamoeJones said

They do eventually go a little overboard with the FedEx quests, but the mail delivery is fun for what it's worth.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:48PM karnisov said

yeah the quick post quests were pretty amusing. the inn league membership quest was pretty fun too. unfortunately the rest of the game areas aren't as well done as the shire, imo.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 7:58PM Deadalon said

• 1 heart
In a game that is as detailed as LOTRO and sticks to lore most of the time ... seeing a mount without reins is an issue. Specially considering it DOESNT have to be an issue. Its pretty much like all daggers in the game were not showing --- you would still do the dmg but dont see it.

And like I said- in such detailed game... this is a feature that should be fixed.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:33PM Deadalon said

• Half a heart
Can't get into LOTRO because of crappy animation and bad looking mounts with no reins. Call me what you like but thats my opinion.

LOTRO has still alot of stories to tell - but Turbine really needs to focus on improving the game engine now cause other games have done tons of new things in the past 3 years. At the same time LOTRO has done nothing in that department.

Do a poll why ppl are not playing LOTRO and you will get the same repsonse 90% times over. Character looks - animations - horses - UI and lack of mods to change the UI. The Turbine engine is one of the worst in this regards. If not for the fact its LOTR - then very few ppl - if ANY would play this title.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:48PM (Unverified) said

So... you don't play the game because the mounts don't have reins and your character runs weird?

Posted: May 23rd 2010 4:08PM AlamoeJones said

The character models leave a little to be desired, but turned all the way up, the landscapes look stunning. I think it's probably the most beautiful MMO I've ever played. If anything, I think people would answer your poll as saying the quests quickly become boring and derivative, in spite of the incredible backbone of the story.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 4:21PM DrewIW said

People still play AC and EQ1.

Graphics aren't a deciding factor in mmos.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 6:57PM JaySpeed said

I don't get the complaint about NPC models. They look fine to me at least compared to the other MMO's I've played. AoC has the best looking NPC's but it's all a matter of opinion. Some people prolly think the models in WoW look good. I happen to like my custom UI for LOTRO. I don't need add on's to play the game. My horse doesn't have reins but my goat does! Hopefully imageshack didn't compress these to death. Playing LOTRO at max settings 1920x1200 DX10 looks stunning. I can't wait for the DX11 update that's coming soon.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 7:23PM ScottishViking said

Wow. That's right up there among the stupidest reasons to avoid a game. "No reins on a horse"? Gimme a break.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 5:10PM Wisdomandlore said

The graphics in LOTRO are excellent. The landscapes are almost up there with AOC, and some of the armor is beautiful. The animation does leave something to be desired, though. What's strange is that Turbine seems intent on making it worse. The recent changes to how Hobbits run and jump is a good example. They went from meh to awful.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 10:15PM yeppers said

For those who complain about LotRO's graphics, can you please post links to the ones you have issues with? Maybe it's your system.

I've been playing LotRO for a while now and never noticed the horses didn't have reins. I don't think horse reins played a big role in the books so... forgivable IMO.

One of the big factors with LotRO satisfaction is how Turbine treats its customers. You can believe if something is an issue for players, they're working on it. See the tons of free content updates they've provided.

Posted: May 24th 2010 11:48AM (Unverified) said

This is so very true for Turbine. Twice, I've had mischarges on my account, or accidentally chosen the wrong subscription plan and both times they've been more than happy to refund my purchase or change the duration of my plan. Also, after my account was hacked while I was gone for a few months they quickly reimbursed me for my losses, allowing me to get back into the game without a large amount of debt.

Posted: May 24th 2010 1:31PM Deadalon said

Graphics and animations are two diffrent things. You can have a stunning landscape - but what moves in it can be totally crap. That is what Im pointing out.

This has always been the problem in LOTRO from day one. Hence - alot of ppl that WOULD be playing the game play the trial and like me ... come to the conclution that the animations are lackluster.

Again - If you put a poll up on why ppl that have played the trial desided to not buy the game... I promise you that animations and character looks and feel would be top of the list.

When it comes to things like reins on horses - that is something that a detailed game like LOTRO should have. Its just a lazy job and cheap way out for the graphic team to not have added such details - considering they are spending alot of time creating other detailed things like mugs on the tables - paintings on walls and so on.

Posted: May 25th 2010 12:10AM EngadgetSoFunny said

What moves in the game is awesome. The trees very gently sway its leaves and branches. Attention to detail, fire animations, the motion of smoke and water are all extremely well done. Its nice to hear you know everything about the game as a 'trial' player. -1 to my thought of your opinion earlier from your comments about not wanting to play a game over a horse having no rein. -1 over you coming across a douchebag. -1 again for coming across with points about 'what moves' isnt' beautiful when it really is. Try playing the game again. You'd be doing yourself a favor imo.

WRUP: You'll shoot your eye out, kid

Posted on Dec 27th 2014 10:00AM