Posted: May 23rd 2010 10:44AM MtthwRddl said

The new updates are cool...but the game is going nowhere content-wise.

The developers promised new areas many months ago, with new quests and possibly even new jobs/classes. All the developers seem to be producing are distractions from the main content.

Rides, Hoverboards, a ton of new Housing items, a new Mini-Game, etc. These are all great items when accompanied by actual game content, but tend to not appease the players for long before another new "distraction" needs to be released.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:42AM Minofan said

Yeah; have to agree.

I could live with the lack of main-game content for a few months, but now they've even stopped production of the TCG I've had to quit - all the shinies appeal to my impulse center too much, when it's clear the game proper isn't going anywhere. ^_^

I'll still be intrigued to see what they do with this fine engine in other games though (if the Clone Wars rumors are true), as the potential does seem limitless - makes the direction FR took all the more baffling...

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:41AM Dandmcd said

Shame there is no new content yet, or at least some cobat changes. I know they have it in the works, but I'm not sure what they are waiting for. The Summer seems to be the perfect time to hook some new players who are gonig to be out of school now or soon, so maybe we will see some new maps or content in the next few weeks. I did like that minigames are now cross server, that will be nice to have more people to play with.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:06PM Pingles said

I think Free Realms set the bar pretty high when it opened up by being very interesting to a wide range of player-types.

But the bottom line is that their main customer base is young children and I am guessing that their priorities lie more in different colored mounts and new sculptures for their lawn rather than new zones to quest in.

I wish we had access to their sales data to see if the teen+ gamer is even a blip on their financial radar.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 4:19PM (Unverified) said

Though I can agree with the assesment that SOE seems intent to keep folks distracted with news "goodies" so as to pull attention away from thier lack of new Ligitimate content, credit must be given to the over-all quality of the shiney new items themselves. The Housing add-ons and this aforementioned Hoverboard are pretty damn cool. Sadly, it's also a reminder why this game's F2P model, and why all F2P payment models, are flawed.

Is the game fun on it's own to an extent? Yes, without question. However, when you're playing a game which requires a subscription, and you see someone run by with an incredible set of gear or see someone speed by on a new mount, nine times out of ten this is something that you can earn on your own through a long Quest chain, crafting, etc. Now, when you see the same, but both items cost real world money that you don't have, it can be immersion breaking and frustrating.

Rumors abound that many larger MMOs are looking to the F2P/cash-shop model for thier respective games, and though I would agree that some MMOs could use the shift, I hope to *never* see this flawed system come into being with the Massive Triple-A titles in the pipeline. If one can not afford a subscription, it's a dissapointment to be sure. However, if you're spending time in a massive MMO landscape, you should be able to earn everything. Not being able to Subscribe and Play an MMO, and being able to play an MMO but not be able to get *eveything* you see either through time or help is frankly the same kind of slow torture.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 6:09PM (Unverified) said

Ruby's guides are always fun to read! :)

I'd also agree FR needs to open a new area and add something other than human or pixie to their character mix. I still have that third character slot sitting empty until they do.

As Joey_the_mad26 mentioned, the actual quality of items released has been very good. As I've said many times before, the art/animation/writing staff working on FR is top notch. Some of the station cash pets could use more tricks, but otherwise the new items are very nicely done. The new empty lots and building items are most welcome. I wonder if anyone at SOE really had any idea how popular building things would be in FR? I kinda of doubt it, as they've had to scramble a bit on the number of items allowed and the fact there isn't any good way (so far) to put your house/lot on display, other than having people as friends.

Posted: May 24th 2010 10:36AM (Unverified) said

Flyff?

Posted: May 24th 2010 9:00PM (Unverified) said

SOE has made the price point so low in Free Realms that, even if your interest in the game wanes, $5 is not enough to make you quit if there are still things in the game that you still consider fun.

Posted: May 25th 2010 9:19AM deathwombat said

Everyone knows that hoverboards don't work on water!