Posted: May 23rd 2010 8:44PM (Unverified) said

"The extremely rare officer NPCs that can drop some modules worth billions allegedly also ONLY spawn in their pirate faction's home region."

that is incorrect. i have had numerous officer and faction spawns in fountain which is not NPC space.

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:11AM Brendan Drain said

Fountain is the home region of Serpentis. Did you get the officer in a system with Serpentis soverignty or one of those without it?

Posted: May 24th 2010 12:47PM TacosWLove said

Numerous officer spawns? In my 2 years of eve, I have only ever met 1 person to ever get an officer spawn. Must be one lucky sun beach...

Oh and I want your nightmare Brendan...

Posted: May 24th 2010 12:54PM Brendan Drain said

I've personally never had an officer spawn in six years playing, about two or three of which were spent in nullsec. I've had a few friends find them but never seen one myself. They really are that rare!

And Mirkinz, unfortunately the nightmare in the screenshot there is a Sansha NPC :p. I fly the still quite handy Legion you see in the other shot, and the screen was from when I used to hunt Sanshas in Stain.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 10:41PM DrewIW said

It's my understanding that officers spawn in systems with -0.75 or lower ratings.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:12PM (Unverified) said

What minimum ship class do you need to do this effectively?

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:35PM DrewIW said

A well tanked battlecruiser can handle 0.0 rats, although you'll want something bigger for the highest tier anomalies.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:41PM (Unverified) said

A cruiser will work.

Posted: May 24th 2010 1:39AM (Unverified) said

We're talking about belt rats here, not anomalies.

Ten Thousand: what kind of cruiser? T1/2/3?

Posted: May 24th 2010 12:44AM foofad said

If you're tanked against the damage type that the rats do, any non-mining cruiser will work. Nonspecific tanks will give you trouble. Hell, you can take down the battleships in a frigate if you've got time, though if they have smaller class escorts they'll probably kill you before you get the opportunity.

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:13AM Brendan Drain said

I'll cover ship types extensively in next week's second part to this guide. There are several good choices available. I'd advise waiting for that second part of the guide if you've never done this before because it'll contain some good survival tips that I've found essential.

Posted: May 26th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

whoever does the writeup on ships needs to do 2 versions, the afk warp in and set FOF's to go to work (phoon/raven)

and the one i use, maxed out maelstrom that sits at 80km and 2 shots battleships with artillery :)

as for using cruisers/bc's for anoms or even ratting dont, unless u're going with a high dps t3 it just takes too long to pop the bigger rats, i mean its doable but considering the short time to get in a decent fit maelstrom or raven you'll be much happer with the speed at which u eat through complex's

hell me and a friend drop 2 maelstroms into a very hard anomaly and just sit their retargetting every few seconds never moving or using our boosters cause none of the npc's can get inside 70km and the crappy cruisers that do hit 2 invulns take care of.

Posted: May 24th 2010 12:19AM oddshrub said

Hehe an article for newbies that sums up to "Ratting in nullsec can be a great way to make ISK and improve your security status." but never mentions warp boubles or gate camps. ;)

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:15AM Brendan Drain said

As it clearly states at the end of the article, safety and ship types will be covered in next week's final part of the guide. This is where I'll be covering bubbles, gatecamps and strategies for bypassing them.

Posted: May 24th 2010 5:59PM (Unverified) said

I have a Caracal setup for 0.0 ratting that works fine. Getting to a good 0.0 is the trick.

Posted: May 24th 2010 5:34AM godlyhalo said

Really any well tanked ship can do belt ratting in 0.0. But in order to actually make real money you need to have maxium dps. Most people use battleships/HAC's/T3 cruisers. For anomalies, Haven's and Sanctums are the only 2 anomalies worth doing, anything else has crap rewards. Haven's can be done fairly easily in a very well tanked BS, accompied by good dps as well. Sanctums, Do not try unless you know what you are getting yourself into. They are insanely hard but offer the most rewards by far (I've heard up to 60 mill per site if you get the hardest possible one). There are multiple variations of haven's / sanctums, but once you know which one you can handle it just becomes an easy way to make lots and lots of iskies.

Posted: May 24th 2010 7:12AM (Unverified) said

Serp only own Phoenix constellation (not like how Sansha own all of Stain). I got two officer spawns in Chimera constellation which my alliance has sov in.

Posted: May 24th 2010 7:21AM Brendan Drain said

This is still consistent with reports that officers only spawn in an NPC's home region, even though the systems they're found in may not have NPC soverignty. Though it may be, as Drew said, that they only spawn in -0.75 systems and it's just due to the fact that NPC systems act as -1.0 that means they can spawn there. Evidence to support that would be if your officers were found only in 7BX-6F and AV-VB6 as these are the two systems below -0.75 in Chimera constellation. Otherwise I'd go with the commonly held belief that they only spawn in the NPC's home region.

Posted: May 24th 2010 7:40AM (Unverified) said

Very enjoyable read Brendan...looking forward to part two.

Posted: May 24th 2010 7:43AM (Unverified) said

both my spawns were in XJP-Y7 which is higher then -0.75 it's only -0.65. I can't recall if we had upgraded the system yet. I believe it was while we were trying to get the military index up or whatever.