Posted: May 22nd 2010 9:51PM (Unverified) said

It looks like STO will soon be jumping to warp speed. I wasn't expecting great things based on all the reviews and comments I've read, so I waited until Cryptic released a trial before making the decision to purchase.

I have long wanted a space MMO that's not rooted in spreadsheets, optimal weapon ranges, and epic guild drama. That I have been an avid ST:TNG fan since childhood was just icing on the cake. So far, STO has fulfilled that expectation and I'm happy with the current state of the game and excited about its future. Certainly, the game has its flaws, but it looks like Cryptic is committed to addressing them

Anyone even remotely interested in the Star Trek universe or who may be looking for a sci-fi MMO should give the trial a go; easy enough through Steam..

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:44PM Birk said

• 1 heart
Hey, good to hear some positive from the thorny side of the frontier (bad pun). Seriously, it's easy to get jaded against a game from all the bad press word-of-mouth can give it. This is why I think all games should have a trial; it's nearly mandatory that you get caught up in the game before you plonk down 20-50$ for a box price.

Good to hear you're enjoying it man. I've never played the game, but I can tell you one thing: Word of mouth in the gaming community is what keeps interest in games afloat. Be loud and proud, and you'll mitigate some of the damage that the equally loud and pessimistic crowd inflicts.

At the end of it all, if you love a game, have some pride! It can bring about nothing more than a healthier community.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 12:11AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Do you work for Cryptic?

This game was doomed from the moment they said it'd only take 18 months to develop.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:32PM Meurik said

Why was temujin's comment downrated? So if a person is supportive of STO, they get downrated, but its okay to be critical about the game?

Ofcourse STO has its fair amount of problems to work out, but then again, what game doesnt? STO definitely has the potential to become a great game at some point, but currently its in dire need of content, and more motivation to accomplishing things in the game. PVP is entirely broken at current imho.

Posted: May 24th 2010 9:49AM JustPlainJim said

• 1 heart
WOW! I'm glad I'm not the only person out there that's still enjoying the game enough to be vocal about it.

I'll agree with you that this game isn't like a lot of other MMOs out there. I don't need spreadsheets or have to find an optimum gear set to go in, shoot stuff and have fun. At the same time, I think that's one reason why people are being so critical of the game.

Whereas a lot of Next Gen and DS9 focused on diplomacy and working through things peacefully, most of STO seems more like the Next Gen movies and/or the original series. You're limited to Kirk Diplomacy ("Sometimes you've just got to punch an alien in the face").

All that said, glad you're enjoying the game and are willing to stick with it!

Posted: May 23rd 2010 12:46AM (Unverified) said

Played it since beta and quit 1 month in, sheer lack of depth and obvious missing features. Criptic = Cowboys of the MMO industry from what I seen.

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:13AM Snichy said

I played at the start too but not any more. Your opinion is based on old data so therefore is irrelevent - if you want to add something to the discussion try playing again and then making a judgement.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 12:38AM Dread said

No matter what extra useless crap they add (Interiors wtf??) it won't fix a fundamentally broken game.

In space you have about the same 6 missions repeated over and over again. Sure they change the names and put spawns in slightly different spots but its still the same 6 mission types repeated over and over. Same goes with ground missions...except I think they only have 4 mission types from memory. And the ground combat plays about as wanky and jerky as Face of Mankind and the land missions in PotBS...actually the whole game is a lot like PotBS but set in space.....and we all know how much that game blows.

Its sad that a game that had so much potential was jsut a shoddy piece of crap rushed out the door. And instead of fixing major issues they rush out crap like Mini Skirts and Starship Interiors.

Lame

Posted: May 23rd 2010 1:03AM Graill440 said

STO online? Oh, you mean "Dev instance online".

And now something for the haters, of which i r 1,

Skills still broken
Skills still do not have descriptions explaining function
skills arent in the correct places (still)
skills trees are the same for ground and instance almost space, you need to guess as no descriptors are available.

Ships are really ate the hell up
Space combat may as well be in the ocean
Space combat is lame for the title, and simply executed piss poorly.

No space
No star trek universe
Nothing to do with star trek
Got star trek?
Got cookies?
Got milk?

You see i was admiring an associates home theater system when he suprised all of us by putting "Instance online" on the 8 foot screen he has on the wall, naturally i dug through to see what had changed, nothing of note had, and we all had a good laugh, at him for having a lifetime sub, ya that lifetime space station is as lame as the rest of the game.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 1:43AM XOR said

STO warps, huh? right.

while I'll agree cryptic is trying to improve STO, this MMO will never be a true "next frontier" for two reasons.

1) Grid sector space .... aka a "limited shoebox" in space, as opposed to being a limitless sandbox.
2) Limited instancing ..... or "How to prevent running into the same player twice."

another disappointing cryptic product

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:18AM Snichy said

A agree those 2 things were the most disappointing thing about the game. The sector map really made space feel small and the instancing sucked all the immersion out of the game. If those things were changed, then this wouldnt be too bad a game - maybe in the mirror universe they decided against implementing those things and I enjoy playing it :)

Posted: May 23rd 2010 1:51AM (Unverified) said

Part of me wants to give this game a shot.

The other part looks wearily at my Hellgate: London disc and refuses to play anything made by a company that employs Bill Roper.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:17AM (Unverified) said

Save yourself the trouble, until they release a free trial it is not worth it..I played in beta, played it after it went live, cancelled after the 1st month..then caved in and resubbed again on the 3rd month and finally cancelled for good and deleted my characters.

This game as stated above was rushed out way to early and is not ready. Lack of factions..Klingon faction is a joke and lacks the breadth and content that of the federation. Horrible AI, especially in ground combat..still glitchy and broken. I can say that perhaps the only reason i stuck around was for space combat but even that grew old. And yes..epic fail for not explaining just what in the heck the skills are that i need to train up.

Cryptic is trying to fix the game but i think its a little too late. Perhaps it will endure on with a diehard base and maybe improve over time, but for me it was a huge dissapointment. So unless the give free trials out next it is not even worth checking out.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 7:48PM archer75 said

There is a free trial. www.startrekonline.com/demo

Posted: May 23rd 2010 4:16AM EdmundDante said

I find it interesting that the first two posts here have remarkably positive reviews followed by 7 really bad critiques.

Kind of like the state of politics in America today - we have the Senate making it look like the latest BP oil spin is really a minor accident that BP is on top of - and then we have the rest of the millions of Americans who seem to be screwed every which way but loose.

Posted: May 24th 2010 1:07AM Graill440 said

Its not hard to make a choice, its your money after all.

Go explore the vastness of STO online, the incedible gameplay, the over the top space battles, the failed diplomacy leading to border conflicts, trade with the ferengi players in their star system, infiltrate romulan or klingon space and raise hell, enjoy the fully customizable ships and skills enabling YOU, the player to FULLY immerse yourself in a star trek ip like no other!!

AND, if your a lifetime subscriber you will have access to a portion of space so incredible that once you warp into it you will weep tears.......once those tears dry up and you start feeling a bit misty, head over to the cryptic store to indulge yourself with some of the most incredibly thought out in game items imagined, for example, play as a ferengi!!! OMG! No words can describe it.

That make the lovers of the game feel better?

Now excuse me, i need to puke.

Posted: May 24th 2010 6:26AM Snichy said

There are a lot of grudges being held against Crypic and unfortunaltey even if Crypic turned the game around and it was outstanding, there are still people who sit at home with nothing better to do than look on the internet for something or someone to bitch about (see above comment).

Luckily there are sensible people who judge the game for themselves on its merits rather than listening to other peoples opinions. I dont even play the game any more but wont dismiss out of hand as it may be a viable game in the future.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 8:22AM (Unverified) said

awful game. Played for ten days then quit, got so angry at Cryptic for completely ruining a potentially fantastic MMO. No exploration? In a Star Trek game? You must be bleedin' kidding me.

one of the worst MMOs I've ever played

Posted: May 23rd 2010 12:37PM archer75 said

Not a great game. Has tons of potential just based on the IP alone. Came out too early, we all know that. But I enjoy simply because i'm a trekkie and it's different enough from everything else that I am bored of. I prefer this style of space combat over EVE so it works for me for the time being.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 1:31PM (Unverified) said

I agree, it is a great IP, but at the same time Cryptic shot themselves in the foot by not taking the license to seriously. I play eve myself so the click and move type of combat does get boring, but even for me the space combat in STO started to wear down. Let's hope they can fix this MMO before it tanks any further.