Posted: May 22nd 2010 7:22PM (Unverified) said

I honestly didn't feel like the quests that were automatically given to me had any effect on contributing to our overall faction goals. Stand around in one place for 45 in-game minutes with nobody else nearby? Hack some enemy terminals on a desolate planet? They seemed pretty arbitrary - just ways to get some money without actually contributing.

Mining and production were boring, click-and-go-do-something-else affairs. That just doesn't cut it for me anymore - I would really like to see games going for a more detailed, personalized crafting system where you create something unique.

Getting started with anything after the tutorial was really hard. I didn't manage to kill a single player or monster, either alone or when I met up with Beau. I would have appreciated some smaller bugs to get my feet wet before jumping into the full thing.

Verdict? Not going to stay on my HD. In fact, it's already gone.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 7:37PM Bhagpuss said

Remarkably restrained, Beau. You are the exemplar of the paradigm I was invoking at KTR earlier.

I have no intention of downloading Face of Mankind. Looked at the website years ago and decided that. I do thank you heartily for your first Rise and Shiny though. I had missed Crowns of Power and it's a gem! I now have a level 14 Red/Green and I'm loving it. CoP is my replacement for the very greatly missed Rubies of Eventide and Ferentus. I just hope it doesn't go the same way they did.

Earth Eternal is sitting on my HD but I haven't played it for many months. In some ways I loved it, but in others it was really very dull indeed. About time I gave it another look.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 8:40PM (Unverified) said

I actually really enjoyed FoM when I played it a bit ago. I play a police officer, mostly in NYC. My faction leadership was full of awesome people and the whole faction was rather friendly. Probably because we were so well policed (yeah, you see that pun) and immature people were dealt with promptly. I reached rank 2, so I could make arrests and organize small groups, and I had fun just patrolling NYC looking for warrants, people brandishing weapons, fights, drug deals, enemies of the state and other bad-doers to arrest. I actually remember we once had a protest of a faction and we had to break it up. It was quite controversial for a couple of days (I watched but, as our leader told us, I took no part in it).

I also rolled one of the criminals at one point with a friend on another account and just went around NYC messing stuff up. Stabbing people, killing people, just being inconsiderate and messing around. Never actually got caught on him, I always got away.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 7:50AM (Unverified) said

Not true at all, the police were full of kiddies that were trigger happy. I was playing FDC, and the amount of times I was stunned and arrested without being asked to was unbelievable.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 9:23AM (Unverified) said

There was definitely some idiots, but a lot were taken out. I should point out, I played a while ago, before there was any premium stuff but it was still free.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 9:35PM Beau Hindman said

So, it is true that the faction choice would have made all the difference. I would have liked to see another side of it, but the cool thing I like about this series is that it forces me to move on, to stay a noob whenever I can.

Maybe one day I will reinstall, but until then I am doing what Bran is. lol

Beau

Posted: May 22nd 2010 10:06PM (Unverified) said

I'm happy this is your job too, it gives us a look at a lot of games, rather than spending a month and getting an in depth review. In this economy, the more F2P games I know of, the better.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:11AM Birk said

Your opinionated column has completely made my day.

Please do one of these play-summaries for every game out there. Kudos Beau, well done.

Posted: May 25th 2010 12:12AM (Unverified) said

I've been playing FoM for a few month's.
Started as a FDC but swiftly changed factions to MERC which I left even quicker ending up with BoS.
Brotherhood of Shadows is a great faction to be part of.
You've got all sorts in this faction, the gankers, the trolls (people who intentionally get under your skin and piss you off, the kind you need real patience with), the motivators (the guys that give newbies a hand, kindly telling them to get on vent and explaining why - instead of ordering them ;-) and give free handouts like armor/weapons), the pvp'rs (well everyone is a pvp'r in this game if you like it or not), the leaders (yeah with a talent for tactics and organization and diplomacy), the eco'rs (producing their asses off for the good of the faction and their wallets) and last but certainly not least the drug dealers.
So for those who are looking for a diverse faction, go see the BoS recruiter.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 9:45PM (Unverified) said

FoM was, and still apparently is, the single biggest example of why completely "user created fun" in a game will never happen. Because when given a chance with good tools at their disposal, the majority of the people will be controlled by the minority of assholes.

Best thing they can do is flush FoM down the toilet quicker this time than they did the last.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:17PM Pingles said

I was very intrigued by this game as I have long wanted a Sci-Fi FPS MMO to play around with.

I gave it my best shot.

I kept running the training video for a bot...play for a bit...video again...

But I just couldn't get enough of a feel for the game for the time I had invested. I doubt I will hop back in any time soon.

I will say that the people in the game who I ran into were very helpful. One even escorted me back to safety when I inadvertently wandered into hostile territory.

But just not my bag, man. :(

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:18PM Pingles said

Er...ran the video for a BIT...not a bot...

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:18PM Sabbatai said

The "mill" that's cranking out these MMOFPS games is running really...rrreeeaally slowly.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 12:42AM Dread said

I enjoyed the original FoM, not this cut down parody :(

Posted: May 23rd 2010 2:59AM (Unverified) said

So you just admitted that you didn't give the game a fair chance. You intentionally joined the most poorly led and under populated faction to give the game a try. I used to play alot of FoM and have been playing it since pretty much the beginning of the game. I really enjoyed the game and found it different and refreshing in a world of fantasy mmos. I understand if you don't like the game I understand that its a niche title and not made for everyone. But give the game a fair chance instead of going in expecting the game to be bad.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 9:18AM Beau Hindman said

I am not sure that there is any way to see how large or how poorly led a faction would be would I? Unless there was something in character creation that I missed.

The point of the column, as I indicate in the entry, is to download and play a new game (or revisit one) each week. While this seems harsh, it would best serve my readers (I think) to see as many of these games as possible. The newbie experience, the experience of the player that downloads and jumps in, is neither uncommon or invalid.

I have to be honest when I write these, and tell it like I saw it. I didn't see all these details that you might have seen after months, or even weeks, in the game. I didn't see other factions because the game would not let me. I even tried committing suicide and running out of clones, but even after wipe my IP (I thought) was bound to that faction.

I'd be interested in hearing more details, but to be honest I will not be looking in the game for those details anytime soon. I have to keep movin'! :)

Beau

Posted: May 23rd 2010 5:19AM eNTi said

fom is bad karma... over ambitious, full of crap and the engine is like...10 years old now?

Posted: May 23rd 2010 5:49AM (Unverified) said

play as a FDC, EC or BoA and you never boring

Posted: May 23rd 2010 11:37AM deejrandom said

I think I shall try this. Downloading EE right now...

Posted: May 23rd 2010 3:56PM mysecretid said

I played Face of Mankind during beta, and I can tell you: your choice of faction (more specifically, who exactly are the players //running// the faction you choose) will make all the difference as to whether you'll enjoy playing the game or not.

The game's factions are more like game-imbedded perma-guilds, and if your faction's player leadership sucks, your time with that faction will suck, because the leaders directly set the tone.

In the beta cycle I played, I started out as a cop in the Law Enforcement Division, but the cops (who had scan/search powers in-game) were almost laughably corrupt. It was like playing policeman in a South American dictatorship.
The faction leaders were cool with the drama they stirred up, however, so that's how things went there.

Likewise the Freedom Defense Corps (army faction) at that time was almost leaderless, for all intents and purposes, and played more like a psychotic anarchist free-for-all with big guns.

So, players I knew who were wondering what playing a cop or a soldier in a PvP enabled future setting might be like? They didn't find out during the beta cycle I played. A lot of the players I met later were, like me, ex-cop players who quit because the faction wasn't being run as a true police-style experience.

But, later, when I rolled a Guardians of Mankind (diplomats with big guns) character, the gameplay changed radically for me. The people who ran the faction during that part of the beta totally set a good tone: we fought PvP battles; we crafted; we protected our territory; and the elected leader-players actually negotiated treaties and such with rival factions whenever possible.

Nobody yelled at me, or any of the other n00bs, that I ever saw, and everybody was generally decent, if not always overtly friendly. Questions got answered, if asked politely.

The main leaders didn't tolerate stupidity or crap; when one of our own started random ganking factions we had non-aggression deals with, he was warned a couple of times, and then finally handed over to the faction he had wronged.

Basically, our faction leaders in beta made the faction run as "advertised" by the description -- and and made it more than just mindless pew-pew 24/7 -- because /they/ put the time in to make the game more for everyone in the faction.

I eventually drifted away from FoM, but I had a great time while I was beta testing it. As I've said, though, the players who run your faction of choice can have a defining influence on whether you'll enjoy yourself or not.

My opinions and experiences, anyway, if they help anyone.

| 1 | 2 |