Posted: May 21st 2010 9:39PM (Unverified) said

Wait.. if I remember right Gears of War did have female characters in it. GW2 also had female characters (Maybe not playable characters but they where there). It would have taken them no time to add the option if it fit the storyline. But it did not in the case of GW 1 & 2.

I'm not saying that it doesnt take work to add new character models and such. But they should ownup to the real reasion. When they made the game engine they failed to consider such options down the road. I imagine its one of the reasions why noone licenses out the game engine from them.

Posted: May 21st 2010 10:06PM Stormwaltz said

Most disturbing intro ever.

Posted: May 21st 2010 10:11PM (Unverified) said

Pretty fail reasoning for why there are no female characters. Both those games had females in them. Just not playable.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 12:38AM nopunin10did said

A non-playable character usually has fewer animations to rig than a playable one. What they're saying may /sound/ like a BS answer, but it's not far from the truth.

I'm not sure if the specific games they mentioned are the best example, but frequently you'll see only one gender rendered and animated as the player model. Because of body proportions and structure, you can't just staple male animations onto a female virtual skeleton.

Posted: May 24th 2010 2:10PM (Unverified) said

There actually are female playable characters in the game.

There is a lot more involved then just adding a line of code that says "add new body type".

Besides the animations themselves that have to be created, there has to be code added to differentiate each animation in each situation. There are adjustments to be made to the blending between animations to make sure they look right. What you see simply as "getting on a horse" is usually a series of separate animations blended together.

Then there are the interactions with items such as mounts, armor and weapons. There is a huge number of these in the game and each one would have to be adjusted to fit (effectively doubling the amount of wearable items in the game) and have every animation adjusted to work with the entire spectrum.

There is also bug testing to do. A simple mistake such as a miss-spelled animation name can grind the game to a stop. These would have to all be painstakingly tracked down, tested and fixed.

This is all possible, but expensive. Every addition or change to a game costs money since developers do not work for free. It's not a charity. Companies have to look at the bottom line as to bang for the buck.

I'm sure they would consider the change if one of the naysayers here pony up a few hundred thousand dollars for the cost.

What? No takers? :D

Posted: May 22nd 2010 2:50AM SgtBaker said

Wait, how many of you complaining idiots here have actually *ever* looked at a 3D Graphic Engine code?

Ok, all of you, please post your estimates of how long it takes a fairly normal sized team of engineers to implement a complete set of animations for a human female?

It's a lot of work.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 3:32AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Who gives a shit how much work it is. You're probably the same type person who defended Aion for having no swimming animation too right?

Posted: May 22nd 2010 3:57AM SgtBaker said

• 1 heart
Bullshit, I play EVE, which makes me superior to you carebears

Posted: May 22nd 2010 6:03AM Graill440 said

Not going into detail, but........................this boys and girls is why we have what we have in MMOs. Simply sad.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 8:48AM (Unverified) said

I applaud their honesty. I'm sure adding a new body type (Fallen Earth already has females, that is not the issue. We're talking about adding fat guys and gals) is a lot of work, as are finishing moves, but I'm sure the team understands that sometimes you have to put in the work to get the rewards. You guys need to remember, they never said "It is too much work, we will not do not" they just let us know how much work it actually is on that engine. Granted it, as it should, is on the backburner. They really need to fix the backend code, repair what's there, and make the combat work a bit better.

Then worry about fat dudes in the apocalypse ;)

Posted: May 22nd 2010 9:28AM alucard3000 said

• 1 heart
So basically what they are saying is because they didnt do the character creation better to begin with by having more of a variety of bodyshapes(Champions Online proves its possble) rushed it out the door to get the sales that it would be too much work to do now and that you the consumer are stuck with their mistake and SOL.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 1:05PM (Unverified) said

I guess if having a big character means THAT much to you, yes. They made the engine without really in-depth character creation in mind, and changing it would take a lot of work now. Frankly though, I find FE fun enough that I don't really care if I can tweak my character that much. It's not really necessary.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 1:16PM CCon99 said

Did you even read the chat transcript? They specifically mentioned CO and APB by name in saying it can be done if you have the resources and enough team artists to devout to a character creator. They also clearly said it was their CHOICE to not make FE's character creator their main priority, instead focusing on creating the rest of their deep and open game.

CO does have a fabulous character creator, but sadly for that game, once you're done playing with that character creator, the game is all downhill from that point forward.

So no it wasn't a mistake, they made a choice and they're sticking with it. Besides, why would they want to create fat character models for a game world where people are eating canned dog food and some even resorting to cannibalism to not starve?

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:52AM Dblade said

Most of that interview was "We can't do this because..."

As for the difficulty in modelling types, what people don't understand is FE's character creator is very limited already. There were few options and many wont simply be visible for the same reason as a clan patch. Some are stupid: what does it matter if you have a belly piercing when you wear armor or full shirts many times? Why implement makeup over body shape in the first place?

Nice to see honesty in chat but its not a good sign when minor things like clan patches get shot down outright.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 1:08PM (Unverified) said

I do agree it is disappointing. I only hope that they can get a bigger team and get stuff like that working. Details make a game into a world.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 1:28PM alucard3000 said

lol wow everyone thinks its about fat characters lmao what about skinny characters CCon99 you say everyone is starving as a point so why cant I make a hideously skinny character? And as far as your Cannibalism point your saying eating people isnt fattening?Maybe that should be the next super diet then.And it is also after a nuclear/disease holocaust so should be able to make a horribly disfigured character also.
Fallen Earth is no deeper than any other mmo and as a matter of fact i played CO longer than FE before losing interest in one drab boring landscape after the other with characters all being cut from pretty much the same cookie cutter just a different hairdo and a few tattoos.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 2:42PM CCon99 said

First I never said anything about human's not being fattening (yeah, I can't believe I had to actually type that). I said the world was in such bad shape some people even RESORTED to cannibalism.

Okay we get it, you don't like the game because you can't play dress up or create funny looking characters. That's cool, it's not for everyone. I'm sorry for you that FE stole your lunch money and bullied you in the playground.

Posted: May 22nd 2010 3:28PM alucard3000 said

get defensive much?you act like people are personally shooting offense at you if they dont like a feature that should be in the game but anyways have fun with your cloned lookalikes

Posted: May 22nd 2010 7:45PM CCon99 said

LOL, I wasn't defensive at all, I just cut and pasted word for word what you told someone else in another article, when they didn't like something about a game that you liked. =P

But thanks for the permission, I definitely will! =D

Posted: May 22nd 2010 8:12PM alucard3000 said

lol I seem to remember the last sentence haha but nothing else anyways yay i have a stalker =) I feel special now