Posted: May 20th 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

"We already have something like a dozen powers (tier 0 blasts) that literally have the same function with very minor differences, and these powers are boring. There's a reason why no player takes more than one"

You are only allowed to pick one tier 0, energy builder power.

Posted: May 20th 2010 5:13PM (Unverified) said

Tier 0 refers to the non-Energy Builder Starter power. It doesn't require a power in that set like the Tier 1 powers do.

Posted: May 20th 2010 6:58PM rochrist said

• 1 heart
Too bad the game just plain sucks.

Posted: May 21st 2010 12:33AM (Unverified) said

No! It doesn't!

Posted: May 20th 2010 7:38PM J Brad Hicks said

I'm going to go out on a limb here: if picking a particular combination of powers auto-gimps your character, you shouldn't be allowed to pick that combination of powers. If picking a particular combination of powers makes you outrageously overpowered compared to other, equally possible combinations, then that combination needs to be disallowed ... or at the very least, debuffed when used in combination.

I say this despite being a forum warrior who obsessively reads, and frequently writes, guides as to which powers suck and which powers don't suck when planning a character. I say this, even as someone who benefits from overpowered builds if they exist, for two reasons:

1) Flavor of the Month. If one particular power combination is so clearly superior to the others, then within at most three months, that combination is what 90% of the players will be playing. And games where we're all playing the same character are BORING.

2) Not Everybody Reads the Forums. MMO in-game documentation sucks at best, and no game designer is going to include tips in-game to tell you which power combinations are currently overpowered. Imbalanced games punish the heck out of the vast majority of the customers, people who don't want to spend all day planning their character and number crunching, people who just want to jump in and play the expletive-deleted game.

Posted: May 20th 2010 8:26PM Dblade said

It's not about fun or unique. Might for one was fun before the buff, and pets are fun even being useless. It's about relative power. Too many abilities are powerful compared to others, and they need to be balanced well.

I think the game would have been much better with classes, and just a wide variety of what you can use within them. A lot of the problem is that you have to constantly use abilities outside of your framework for basic things like a self heal.

Posted: Jun 1st 2010 7:00AM UnSub said

Ultimately ChampO would benefit from a 'template' system, where players who didn't want especially over- or under-powered characters would have a clear in-game guide about what powers to pick.

Choice can lead to mental paralysis, which is the last thing a casual MMO should be instilling in its players.

Posted: May 20th 2010 10:11PM TheGreatMachine said

While I quit CO the other day, one of the reasons I managed to get fun out og it for so long was the fact I could build a toon out of whatever powers I liked.

If you find that you have gimped your toon you either respec the last few powers that stuffed up your build. No dramas.

The only balance issues in the game is pvp, where a host of powers are almost required to stay in the game. The pve content however is so easy it never made sense to me that people worried about balance on that side of the fence. You toon isn't imbalanced, you just chose a powers that dont work well together. Or broken powers (different issue)

Posted: May 20th 2010 10:12PM TheGreatMachine said

of*

Posted: May 21st 2010 7:53AM (Unverified) said

This was a very good article.

On the balance I agree with the author. While we can all rationally say that balance is ideal; the reality is quite different -- as the author points out, the reality is that most games fall between boring + homogeneous and fun + chaotic. I would argue that there is a sweet spot between these, and it lies closer to the fun + chaotic side.

Posted: May 21st 2010 1:32PM Arcadian said

• 1 heart
That's idiotic.

The game's not balanced because...tada! It's a lousy game! Look at what the melee patch did. The game's even more broken than before. The only powersets worth taking now are Might, TK, Fire, Force, and cherry picking a few powers from the others.

80% of the game's powers are useless by 40. That's why I quit a long time ago. it's hysterical to read the CO forums and see people complaining about the exact same problems from when I quit six months ago...only there's strangely a lot fewer people left to complain, lol...

Posted: May 25th 2010 7:52PM Ace Noble said

It doesn't have to be balanced. Just fun.

Champions is my part time game. Not every MMO has to be for the hard core 24/7 gamer. If you want that, there are plenty of other games out there that provide it. Champions is a fun and simple game that lets you dream up "what if I combine these powers" or "what if I make a toon just like..".

This game is "ridiculous and overpowered" because that's the way the super hero comic book world is! I never had expectations of such a silly simple, but enjoyable, game to have the balance and end content of a fantasy or sci-fi MMO. I have another game I play all the time and I play CO maybe 2 to 3 times a week because it still has more content then Robot Unicorn Attack. That's enough for me to keep up my subscription.