Posted: May 19th 2010 3:13PM MewmewGrrl said

Okay, you said that you thought it may be like "Free Realms with capes" and therefore may be bad? Free Realms was one of the most refreshing new games that ever came out. In a genre with the same old stale play styles recycled over and over and over again, Free Realms came out with something that was ultimately quite different and very fun. I'm unsure why you'd bash that, or think that your readers aren't into it. It was made to be more for females and younger gamers, and that equaled out to pure fun rather than doing some gimmick like "extra gore" around the same old tired gameplay. Don't knock games made to be fun for all ages, they can very often be some of the most fun and different games that exist.

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:26PM (Unverified) said

This is a pass for me.

It may be fun but one of the things I love about the marvel universe is
the more adult stories lines and atmosphere. It may be 'fresh' for an mmo
to do a more kid-type game, but there are many console games out there
just like this. (And I'm not even sure if a kid-focused mmo is original anymore.)

I wish them all the luck in the world with this, but in all honesty, even if I
get curious enough to try this out, I feel it won't keep my attention long.

I can't wait for a more adult mmo just like the comics. It just feels very much
out of place to play an mmo based on an IP that has none of the substance
of the original IP.

It would be like DDO or LotRO being released with ~nerf~ axes and and
goblins coming to steal your gummy-bears.

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:31PM (Unverified) said

Mewmew, where did he say that Free Realms with Capes would actually be bad? He just said such a beast wouldn't likely interest the Massively audience.

Carefull where you point that knee-jerk, you may hurt someone.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:06PM Brianna Royce said

I think Kole nailed it here -- Free Realms with capes wouldn't be a bad thing. It'd be pretty cute! I was worried that such a game wouldn't appeal to many hardcore MMO players, and that such a game might be too derivative. Fortunately, I believe I was wrong on both counts. SHSO really has its own hook. We definitely shouldn't underestimate the kid-friendly segment of the MMO genre.

By the by, I'm a "she"! :)

-Bree

Posted: May 19th 2010 6:05PM wjowski said

Were these the same 'adult' stories that involved the casual use of rape and explicit scenes of gore?

Yeah...that's not mature that's 'juvenile misconceptions of what mature storytelling means'.

Posted: May 21st 2010 4:34AM (Unverified) said

Wjowski... Are you out of your mind?

Name me one mainstream mavel comic (X-men, Avengers, ect..) that involves such things.

...And if you do.. the is having a kid version of a game that has such things horrible?

You must be trolling.

Posted: May 23rd 2010 10:28PM wjowski said

Would you prefer Marvel or DC?

On DC's side we've got the editor's recent sick obession with rape ala Dr. Light, and also Superboy Prime incinerating a pregnant woman during their latest Crises clusterfuck or whatever.

And on Marvel's side we have the Sentry graphically ripping people apart, complete with visible gore.

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:28PM ultimateq said

I feel silly, but I've never heard of this.

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:46PM Saker said

Don't feel bad, I only recently saw a episode of the cartoon myself, you're not the only one!

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

It just premiered yesterday, as he said. But it has been mentioned in passing before on the site.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:17PM Seraphina Brennan said

She. Brianna. :D

Everyone keeps missing that we hired another female. =^_^=

~Sera

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:39PM Lateris said

As a parent I like this game. I can allow my 5 year old to enjoy himself in the Marvel Universe. So I don't mind the coverage. I watch him play free relams and it is a great game. As an adult It just bums me out that other SOE games like Vanguard get swept aside. And I refuse to buy station points for my child in F.R's. Man that is a hook in the mouth.

So this game looks like it is targeted to the kids and thats ok with me since there will be a Marvel Online game for me that is geared to adults. I will still try it.

Posted: May 19th 2010 3:44PM MrGutts said

• Half a heart
So begins the downfall of the Marvel franchise.

Thank you Disney.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:28PM (Unverified) said

How is this, in anyway, the end of the Marvel Franchise? Have you been paying attention the last Twenty years or so? Marvel was Floundering, much the same as DC Comics. It's only thier decision to branch out and expand the MCU under multiple formats (Games, Movies, Television Series, etc) that allowed them to become a success. DC continues to spiral downward, mainly due to property disputes; however Marvel has greater control over thier individual IPs and thier utilizing them in the best ways possible.

The merger with Disney Co. only gives marvel Deeper pockets, allowing them to try new things with the Marvel License. If these new ventures don't work, then they'll stick to what does and expand on that. Just because this is no longer the Kirby Age doesn't mean Marvel's on the road to self destruction; Hell, at least they seem to have a game plan. I love DC as much as Marvel and I'd love to see the former get a stronger hold on thier properties and follow Marvel's lead.

Though I've not watched more than a few Episodes of the Super Hero Squad show, my nephews have and they *Love* it, in much the same wide eyed way I did when I first started reading Thor, or Amazing Spider Man. I've already mentioned this title to my non-gamer brother and we're both looking forward to seeing these boys get to play in the Marvel Universe without having to worry about "Over the Top" enemy dismemberment or spammers calling my nephews "Fags" because they forgot to heal-spam the Tank. Bottom line, this is 'Far' from the decline of the Marvel IP, it's just another step in the Right direction. 'Nuf said. 'Nuf said.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:52PM Damn Dirty Ape said

This has absolutely nothing to do with Disney. For a very long time comic books were aimed solely at children. There have always been comic book based saturday morning cartoons (Spiderman and his amazing friends anyone), video games, and toys (like Secret Wars). The industry almost destroyed itself in the early 90s when they started catering to the collectors and adults and ignored the audience they were created for in the first place (kids).

In fact, to me it looks like a great idea. If you get kids interested in comics now, they will grow up to enjoy them later (and buy graphic novels, movies, video games, etc). Besides, it has been made very clear that they are working on an 'adult' Marvel MMO so I really don't see why anyone would complain.

Posted: May 20th 2010 10:14AM JustPlainJim said

Right. Time for me to show off my true nerdiness.

You do realize that the game is based on a cartoon... and the cartoon is based on small plastic figures that Marvel has been making for a few years now, right? As in a few years before there was even chatter about Disney and Marvel coming together?

Anyway, back on topic. While I know I'm a bit outside this game's key demographic (by, like, two decades), I'm still excited about this! Looks like a cute little beat-em-up.
And if they include the most obscure Marvel characters (Squirrel Girl, the rest of the GLA), so much the better.

... yet I don't think they can pull off a cute & cuddly Deadpool.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:35PM J Brad Hicks said

It looks like a fun game, especially for a kid who's fond of the cartoon, but it's not a roleplaying game (in my opinion) if you can't at least create your own character.

On the other hand, the biggest MMO in America is one where, most of the time, the only difference between J. Random NightElfRogue and Random Q. NightElfRogue is their names. So maybe I'm wrong.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:44PM (Unverified) said

I'm sure it could be fun, but I just don't have any interest in playing someone else's character.

Posted: May 19th 2010 4:47PM (Unverified) said

One thing you said Joey struck a cord with me: "Wide-eyed". I caught myself thinking back to the days of yore when me and my little sister would sit in front of the TV and sing along on the Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles theme song at the top of our lungs.
I don't think I could capture the same sentiment, that same wide-eyed sense of random fun, from SHSO, but it occurs to me that if a younger crowd could, then excellent.
I guess my sense of wonder might have changed over the years, but that shouldn't stop SHSO from catering to a customer segment that'll derive that sense of wonder from the game and its atmosphere.

But what I really want to know is....what did the bartender say to the two Iron Men ?

Posted: May 19th 2010 8:28PM Scarecrowe said

Every time I see a screenshot of this game I just cringe. I'm afraid the vocal outcry when it goes live will ruin chances that Marvel will ever get a more mature MMO. Hopefully, I will be wrong!

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM