Posted: May 18th 2010 11:37AM Phone Guy said

Not trying to be negative but why bother asking folks what they want when they plan to release all of them and put them up on the cryptic store.

I'm not one to complain about item shops, in game store, ect. I think they can be handled very well take DDO as an example. But what really bothers me is that Cryptic went back on its word. They promised when the Cryptic store seen the light of day that all the items available were also available to be earned in game. That philosophy went out the window pretty quick. What also gets me is that Cryptic employees defend the policy even going off the record to say, if you can't afford a few extra dollars for cryptic points on top of a subscription, you shouldn't be playing an MMO anyway.

Don't get me wrong now, Star Trek is a decent game. I had allot of fun playing through the episodes, but Cryptics business practices and they way they are pushing their products is turning even the most stalwart supporters into hateraid drinking punks. And all of it could honestly be avoided if they would of listened to their customers an implemented an allowance system that gave a pittance of cryptic "bonus" points a month.

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:11PM MrGutts said

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:33PM Phone Guy said

"annnd all the ships they do drop into the store are only for max level people right?"

For now yeah. But the ships in the article with the exception of the Enterprise J, would be lower ranks.

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:55PM dudemanjac said

I have yet to spend any money in the cstore for STO. And i barely spent anything in the one for Champions. Ppl make way too big a deal about those, there hardly ever anything in there worth the time and energy it takes to make all the angry posts they've caused. But I will agree, I don't like that they went back on make all of the stuff attainable in game.

I'm looking forward to BP to see if they are true to their word. They have promised no God mode items in the store. At least none that can't be attained in game.

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:56PM dudemanjac said

Heh. hateraid.

Posted: May 18th 2010 1:45PM Phone Guy said

"Please point me to where someone from cryptic said that. I'm not gonna call you a liar, just seems pretty wild for someone to say that."

Any cryptic employee who would recorded or caught posting anything like that wouldn't be employed very much longer. It came from a private conversation during a con event. The person who said it was not being a jerk as much as he was recanting the same line allot of game companies live by. To be honest one of the things I learned from working in the MMO industry is that to many companies view players as little bags as money. They have very little empathy and its always about getting more money out of those bags. Its cold and hard but it makes sense from a business stand point. My problem is that in the rush to make games more business like they forgot why we do it in the first place. Making money is fine, but making a game that will entertain people should always be the goal.

"As for why the vote, I would say to decide which ones were going to be free and which were going to be bought. It seems to me with that it should be an easy enough thing to have a mission (episode) that you have to do to get this stuff. But oh well. I'll come back to STO some day... maybe. Depends on how good BP and/or JGE are."

If the ship voted on is given to the players for free or attainable without spending money then it makes sense. But in the end if the vote is simply to determine which order the ships are release to the store then meh.

Really though I'm not against the store. I just hate that they turned it from a short cut to an exclusive content entity. Their is no reason that you shouldn't be able to unlock everything sold in the store by playing the game. Whether its a very long story arc or countless hours of grinding, as long as I have the option to get it without dropping any money I am fine.

The bottom line is that their are creative ways to appease the complainers without hurting anything. In the end making more people happy means more subs which make up for the losses that may come from the store.

Posted: May 18th 2010 11:56AM yeppers said

Great. They're just asking for another "Dervish" fiasco.

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:57PM dudemanjac said

What was the dervish fiasco other than that it is a stupid name? They got a list of names and they picked on they liked. I don't think it was put up to a vote.

Posted: May 18th 2010 11:56AM ChaosInc said

" if you can't afford a few extra dollars for cryptic points on top of a subscription, you shouldn't be playing an MMO anyway. "

I hate this argument with a passion. It's like saying "if you can't afford a Ferrari, you shouldn't be driving anyways".

Posted: May 18th 2010 12:38PM Phone Guy said

Exactly. Its a very attitude for any company to take because in the end, they need my subscription more than I need their game. We live in the time of MMOs, and their are enough out their to get what ya need as far as entertainment. Allot of these companies need to learn that they will thrive when they give customers a reason to stay subscribed versus petty attempts to extract a few extra nickles out of them.

Posted: May 18th 2010 2:22PM ultimateq said

I agree. That attitude is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to pay for anything in the store to enjoy the full game, if you are already paying a subscription. I might overlook it if the subscription was $5/mo, but it's a full $15/mo like every other MMO. Tell me the logic in that?

Posted: May 18th 2010 3:00PM Samael said

They have been like that for a while now.

I hate that company with a passion. They create cheap MMOs that are severely broken and then expect people to pay extra to get what they want.

They do treat their customers as bags of money, and nothing else.

If they are making the NWN MMO I will cry a little for the death of an awesome franchise. These guys are the worse of the lot, they are the bottom of the barrel, the lowest tier of developers. And they have the farce known as Atari as the publisher.

Posted: May 18th 2010 2:57PM (Unverified) said

Not to burst everyone's bubble here but the devs have said on the forums that they're adding a t5 (admiral) level version of the three "canon" ships, Galaxy, Defiant, and Intrepid. For free. It's possible that they're adding one or more of these options the same way?

Posted: May 18th 2010 3:05PM mko said

The episode in the picture is Voy: Message in a Bottle and the ship is USS Bonchune NCC-70915
Yeah I'm so lonely.

Posted: May 18th 2010 6:31PM Saker said

They should look to the old (canon) book "Star Fleet Technical Manual" for their inspirations

Posted: May 18th 2010 7:39PM Eliot Lefebvre said

It's actually considered non-canonical. Well... probably.

The short version is this: the Technical Manual was published between TOS and TNG, and it contained a number of different designs in it. Before TNG, it seems that Roddenberry and Joseph had some sort of falling-out, and Roddenberry set forth a number of design rules about starships that invalidated several of the designs in the Technical Manual, such as the "nacelles only in pairs" rules.

Waters get murky on two points: first of all, several of the designs in the Technical Manual do show up in background displays, which implies that similar designs did exist in Starfleet at the time. Second of all, with the release of the most recent film, we've invalidated several of the design rules already - the Kelvin clearly only has one nacelle, for example. (Yes, it's clearly an alternate timeline, but the point of deviation appears to be the Kelvin encountering the Narada, which means that the Kelvin should reasonably exist in the same timeline as TOS.)

So it's up for some debate.

Posted: May 18th 2010 11:21PM Lionhearted said

Most of these ships (save the NX and J) should have been there from the start, at least if the Constitution was going to be there. In the Next Gen era, there still would have been Excelsiors, Ambassadors and maybe even a few Oberths (in a very limited way) in commission, never mind the Nebula, etc., but all those wacky variants they used to just mix up the way the actual ships looked instead of actually including other ships? Well, I don't have a problem with them, per say, but not over the actual ships that are canon.

It should have been
tier 0 reliant (which really were still in use),
tier 1 eng Constitution Refit and Constellation (same generation cruiser classes), tier 1 sci Oberth;
tier 2 eng Excelsior;
tier 3 eng Ambassador, tier 3 science Nova,
with the tiers 4 and 5 all being fine, with the exception of including the Hope class in tier 4 science with the Intrepid, because the only time we ever saw that ship was decades in the future, so there's no way it could be below the Voyager in tiers (though probably not higher than the Luna class, which is why I included it with Intrepid).

I always thought STO should have eschewed a strict ship class system and gave each ship some unique talents. For example, the Hope was really a massive medical ship -- it should have been able to 'heal' better and have extra energy compared to most other 'science' vessels. The Intrepid, on the other hand, should have been able to travel at faster warp speeds, longer, and had more advanced targeting systems, etc., owing to its more-advanced computer system. The Galaxy class should have been the workhorse of the fleet, with the most HP by a hefty amount and the largest warp core, while the Sovereign should have been very quick for a cruiser and had the most potent weaponry for a cruiser. Instead of trying to dumb everything down, it would have been nice if Cryptic tried to craft a more-unique, skill-based system, where the ships were more unique and less cookie-cutter class-based.

The Stream Team: Pumpkin carving in Landmark