Posted: May 17th 2010 1:21PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like fun.

I've been having fun with PUG's (Impossible, I know) doing the Krall quests in Verteron. When a group comes together it's almost like a symphony.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to finishing it up tonight. (if I can find the right group) and moving on to the next region.

I also know how it feels to be the only one around who appears to like the game. I stopped caring about what other people think and am enjoying myself.

A bit of a tangent but it looks like we may be looking at server merges (pure speculation mind you). The Eye on the Community post on Friday stated "an announcement that will affect every single Aion player" will be made next week.

Posted: May 17th 2010 1:27PM DrRumpy said

• 1 heart
Ggggggrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnddddddddddeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: May 17th 2010 2:25PM DevilSei said

In the face of such an article, its a breath of fresh air to see such a well thought out, impeccably chosen set of words to summarize the entire piece, bravo sir, because obviously I couldn't be bothered to strain my eyes reading it.

Posted: May 17th 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

I started playing Aion last week and I've been enjoying it. I'm a 19(almost 20) Elyos cleric on Lumiel. :)

Posted: May 17th 2010 4:02PM ChaosInc said

Don't mean to be bursting bubbles, but wait until you get around 25-30. The grind starts around there and only gets longer and more tedious as you go on from there. Up until 20 though, yeah, the game is pretty decent.

Posted: May 17th 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Keep it up man! We're all fighting the good fight on lumiel and it's quite the good time if you ask me. All the grind-ness is just the pacing of the game. If you don't like the world, if you don't like the focus of the game, then do not play it!

I just hit 36 on my temp, so I'm working ever so slowly up the ladder and it is a blast still.

See you around if you ever need any help, look up Wars, or the Legion I'm in, .

Posted: May 17th 2010 3:52PM (Unverified) said

If the whole game was as well done as that quest line, it would be a whole different ball game. It's like they had a bring your kid to work day and some teenager looked at the game and banged out this awesome quest line, and then the next day his dad sat back down at his desk and wrote 20 more "Kill 100 monster" quests to round out the grind to 50. Seriously, one of the most confounding things about AION is how uneven it is, how can they do something marginally cool like the Xeno thing and turn around and faceplant on every other questline in the game?

Posted: May 17th 2010 4:40PM (Unverified) said

I love Aion. And I'm perfectly fine with the numorous kill rat quest grinds, because my main game used to be Perfect World International. ^_^

Posted: May 17th 2010 6:23PM (Unverified) said

Well, now that I think about it, I don't really know if I've ever played an MMO that's not grindy. Can someone refer me to one of these MMOs that are apparently awesome because they don't grind? I've played EQII, WoW, EvE, Free Realms, Fallen Earth, and lots and lots of F2P. I've gotten bored or didn't "feel it" anymore with all of them, except Perfect World International and Aion.

Posted: May 17th 2010 7:58PM Alex Oglitchkin said

What level are you? If your not even in the 40's then you haven't gotten to the total boring part. Wait til you are 50 and you just do nothing but dredgion, forts, 1 endgame dungeon Dark Poeta (over and over and over and over)

It becomes a routine just like every other game. Perfect World..... can't you openly bot in that game with their ingame bot or was that just Jade Dynasty? F2P games do nothing but lure people to spend real money by showing off pretty items and offering benefits like no fail on upgrading stuff. Money > skill in those games because you can buy the best while someone who doesn't spend a dime can't compete.

Posted: May 17th 2010 8:13PM (Unverified) said

Just because there are games with even worse grind doesn't excuse Aion.

WoW has multiple leveling paths, varied, interesting quest chains and constant rewards that upgrade your character and keep the experience fresh even after leveling several alts. You're pulled through the experience, rather than being forced to push through by sheer force of will.

WAR, for as much as it did wrong, let players participate in interesting, meaningful PvP within the first 10 levels. Nobody cares about the grind when you can take a break at any time and not feel like you're just wasting subscription time.

DDO made dungeon XP rewards scale based on performance, so that skilled players can level far more efficiently that unskilled players. (WoW's quest-based progress does the same thing.). When your progress is tied to your performance, you have incentive to actually get better at the game. Aion doesn't have this. Why bother getting new gear when it'll cost a pile of Kinah and mean pretty much nothing? You're better off grinding brainless mobs for a few more days to gain a level instead.

DaoC kept the level cap low so that players could get away from the grind as quickly as possible and focus on open-world PvP end-game for the whole game.

You're welcome to like Aion, there's nothing wrong with that, but claiming it's not a massive grind is just deluding yourself, especially when you defend that argument by presenting an even more tedious grind. Plenty of games have made strong efforts to move away from grind-as-content, and Aion's a big step back.

Raise the bar, don't lower it.

-SirNiko

Posted: May 18th 2010 11:32AM (Unverified) said

Without a doubt one of the least grindy games I have ever played is DDO. It's too bad that game was so bad at release and the character graphics are so horrible. If they ever redo that game with a better UI and decent character creation choices they would really have something special. It's the kind of game that you can easily lose track of time in.

Posted: May 17th 2010 7:51PM Alex Oglitchkin said

Glad the reader also can see that NCsoft won't answer a damn thing you ask them of importance. They do nothing but bait n switch. Like we will be getting patch 1.9 in May. Oh look test servers are coming to NA/EU now and they don't even have 1.9 on it yet. Well looks like 1.9 will come in May to the test servers of course. Gotta love how they had so many hopes up just to wreck it.

1.9 = Nothing more than easy mode.

2.0 = the juicy content we truly want.

Posted: May 18th 2010 1:27AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Cmon, youre (the auhor) are in the mid 40s and just did the Xeno Quest line? You did not even touch the essence of Aion. Sorry, its nothing personal, but i always wonder why people like you write coulums about things you got absolutely no idea of. Arent there any active players out there who want to talk about their experiences? Oh well, you talk about the grindyness of the game and youre not even 45... Let me tell you, youre not even half way to 50 and then you got just about 10% of the max equip status reached. Means you cant participate in PvP (the real PvP) before lets say summer 2011 if you keep youre pace :D
Sorry, its only a suggestion, because i think if you do something: Do it seriously!

Posted: May 18th 2010 4:00AM (Unverified) said

What the author leaves unsaid is what happens if you aren't lucky enough to have a legion, or group of friends, who can put together a balanced 6-person group who will dedicate sufficient time for the quest. Or even if you do find a group, but run into well-organized Asmodeans (or Elyos) who have level 50 alts camped at appropriate spots to farm Xeno-questers. After all, expert Aion players typically have multiple level-50 characters by now.

The article also highlights one of the well-known exploits in Aion - the "force log" that allows a player to instantly exit the game (standard log-out has a 10-second timer). Are you a ganker who bit off more than he can chew? Log out instantly and deny victory to your opponent(s). The tactic has been around for months and months, but NCsoft won't (can't?) do a thing about it.

Finally, the article demonstrates that late-game players really MUST have a good legion (or an equivalent circle of friends). Even if you can get to 50 solo, you can't do the key quests for equipment that makes the difference between marginal functionality and true success.

Posted: May 18th 2010 11:43AM (Unverified) said

I have to admit, when I was in my 1-30 phase of this game I thought it was going to be the next big thing. Then came the slow leveling grind, the lack of reward for hours spent grinding away at the only dungeon the game had to offer for my level. But I stuck with it, promises of updates and patched kept me logging in. Once I got into my 40's at became obvious, this company did not care about the NA/EU player base. Sure there was lip service from the folks who's jobs were on the line. But there has not been any real substance to anything they have ever promised. In my mid 40's I walked away from Aion and from NCsoft.

They have made a game that is popular for their player base (Koreans) and that is good for them. The game however will never be anything more than that.

Posted: May 18th 2010 7:51PM (Unverified) said

And NCSoft just announced that they're merging servers -- 7 months after launch.

How long did it take for Warhammer Online to decide to do their server mergers?