Posted: May 17th 2010 2:19PM jpkustra said

I never played the space portion of SWG. Looks good and I hope that Bioware adds this too.

Posted: May 17th 2010 2:19PM RogueJedi86 said

Space is one of those things SWG did right and the NGE never touched. I remember it fondly. I recognize the ship in the picture too. It's a default colored Type 1 Dunelizard, one of the neutral pilot ships, an early ship and also one of the best, able to be reconfigured between a dogfighter and a heavy bomber. I hope TOR's space action is even 1/10 as awesome as SWG's.

Also, why the SOE button tag just below the topic name(on the main page) but no SWG? Not got one of those? Odd to have a generic SOE tag. :P

Posted: May 17th 2010 2:24PM Darkdust said

Only problem with SWG's space is that it's pure twitch... well, there are more, but then what design doesn't start to show its age after this many years?

Posted: May 17th 2010 2:29PM (Unverified) said

Twitch based space combat is ftw, I know alot of people like eve's style but theres alot of us like myself that enjoy manually flying and shooting....in some ships you can even have a buddy work the turrets while you fly the ship. I hope Bioware goes for twitch vs the /range /fire garbage.

Posted: May 17th 2010 7:27PM Darkdust said

Well, yes, I'm an unabashed EVE player, though I think everyone can see that EVE offers a lot more over SWG than just non-twitch-gameplay -- even the EVE detractors.

But JtL is basically a skill grind followed by a loot grind with essentially no real end-game besides dueling at zeros and the occasional weekend event with lots of add-on rules. Until recently, space PvP meant nothing in any sort of meta-game (like ground PvP did to a degree). That's started to change with the most recent GCW update, but the pilot community has festered and turned into something far less positive than it used to be.

Posted: May 17th 2010 3:21PM Arkanaloth said

JTL's one of the best parts of SWG...

Posted: May 17th 2010 3:21PM karnisov said

twitch pwns. if u can't hack it go back to eve.

Posted: May 17th 2010 4:11PM (Unverified) said

The space combat was easily the best that any MMO has done, i remember attacking star destroyers in deep space with my guild on one of those off days when they weren't crafting, questing etc... hell sometimes i go back and resub to swg(hoping they have a pre-nge weekend or something)... and when i realise what crap its become i go and do space combat... that part of it is still great...

One thing i think the NGE did do that the original sandbox swg did not was add in quest lines that weren't hard to find... that part of it was good, other than that...man o man how terrible.

Posted: May 17th 2010 5:48PM Lateris said

I will always love SWG Jumpt to light speed. It was the best part of the game. I wish someone would make an updated 3000 per server version of Xwing Tie fighter on DX9/10. I would love a sandboxy star wars space game on a massive space level like Eve.

Posted: May 17th 2010 11:54PM Zantom said

Space in SWG is the best and most unique component of any MMO ever. If the devs there had any sense, they would have expanded upon it heavily by now. They are finally giving it some attention, but it should have a lot more.

Posted: May 18th 2010 1:20AM (Unverified) said

Have to agree that JTL was one of MMORPG's greatest expansions - Please pay attention Bioware - Star Wars isn't Star Wars without the "Stars"

Posted: May 18th 2010 1:00AM Tristik said

~~
If any Dev ever needs to see how to make an expansion to get their players talking and drooling, they only need to look at JTL. It basically added another game into an already very large game.
~~

Posted: May 18th 2010 10:35AM WSCopic said

If I could have actually flown my frigates / cruisers in EVE, rather that clicking and managing screens / spreadsheets, I would still be playing it.

Can't do real space combat without twitch....it's just not the same.