Posted: May 17th 2010 5:27PM Arkanaloth said

right now.. my Rogue / Priest in RoM is sitting at 40 / 40.. and it took a tremendous grind to get that far. The lowest level quest I have is level 46.. >_>

I'm hoping the expansion will give me more to do between 40 and 45 or so cause mob grinding 5 levels in RoM is not my idea of a good time and I've run dailies so many times I think I've worn grooves in my metal mouse-pad.

Posted: May 17th 2010 6:54PM (Unverified) said

Getting to lvl 50 is super easy only took me 3 weeks and all I did was quests and dailies. You should never grind for levels in ROM, quests give you so much more experience. Once I hit 50 I started running a lot more instances and gaining lots of experience from that. In total it took me about 4 and 1/2 weeks to get to 55. However, once you hit 55 things slow down a ton but by that point you are gonna wanna start grinding for drops anyway so you can gear up for the higher lvl instances.

Posted: May 17th 2010 6:00PM Seffrid said

I hate the higher levels of all MMOs where the the levelling curve rises sharply like this, and it explains why Guild Wars is the only game I've hit the level cap in. Despite playing several MMO's for a number of years each I find I spent my time in the low/middle levels with multiple characters because they're just too much of a chore at the higher levels and I have no interest in the traditional "endgame" activities such as PvP and raiding.

Most MMO's also have far too quick levelling at low levels, and why developers can't even out the progression a bit more throughout the levels I have never worked out.

Posted: May 18th 2010 1:01AM Titansgrip said

Hm, interesting. ROM is, in actuality, a VERY rapid to level game. It's one of the fastest to level games around.

A closer look at the design reveals the "level curve" spoken of in the article is one born typically of player ignorance of the game mechanics.

The majority of income for Frogster (publishers of ROM) comes from endgame modding. There is little to no use of Cash Shop pre-level cap.

So the game speeds players toward that high end content which not only requires cash shop use, but provides a continued reason to use the cash shop via the incredibly complex gear modding. Which can not be circumvented by any means other than cash shop use.

It is entirely possible for a player with moderate quest gearing to, for no RL costs, reach the current level cap of 57/57 in under a month's time. All solo.

There is no griding at all in ROM. The quest rewards not only gears players above their content path, it also rewards ~10-20% of the exp needed for next level per line. The added daily quests can likewise level a player so that only a single daily set is needed per zone.

In fact, it is possible for players to hit the cap and run endgame with quests yet to turn in. The need for more 50+ zones called upon in the article already are in existence. The reward turn out per zones Ravenfell (46-50), Weeping Coast(50-52) and Savage Lands (52-54) almost double the xp/rewards of the proceeding zones.

Speaking from personal experience; 4 characters of mine are at the cap and endgame geared in ROM at the moment. Only one of those took longer than a month to reach that point.

The real damper on speedy leveling in ROM is not inflation of the xp reqs or a flattening of quest rewards, but in the player's death count. The xp debt system is cumulative and punishing for those players who die too often.

Posted: May 18th 2010 4:19AM (Unverified) said

The way I see it, ROM gives you good snack at the 1/3 of the game and then you starting to see your weaknesses as non cash shop user and you get weaker and weaker at every level. Sure I've seen some people get through the game without paying a cent, but that are just few percent. But most of the people if they like the game they'll have to make the decision if they are gonna be generous or not, because at lvl 50 you have to get good gear to be able to go to instances and do them normally.

At Weeping coast mobs get nasty debuffs which can kill you and at Savage lands mobs get 2x harder to kill also naga elites are possible to kill with very good gear. So I'd say this is anther way of ROM telling you "it's time for another decision".

But it really isn't THAT gray as it sounds. If you get good guild that helps you get good gear, you can do instances normally, but you are not the best healer or DPS ofc.

And about socializing, yes the game really encourages you to socialize. You can see that at hard quests that include elite mobs, great drops in instances and ofc it's ALOT easier is you are in guild.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM