Posted: May 15th 2010 11:21AM whateveryousay said

Welcome to the team, Brianna. I hope your time here at Massively is filled with gaming brilliance and troll-free comments. Though I might troll on you a little.

Anyway, to answer my own question, Phantasy Star Online was my first MMO. It still holds a special place in my heart, as it combined my love of gaming and internet trolling into one spectacular experience that i'll never forget.

I'll be playing GW and Battle of the Immortals this weekend. Hope everyone else has a good one.

Posted: May 15th 2010 2:58PM Brianna Royce said

Thanks, Blah?! I hope the same, but no one is that lucky! :D

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:10PM fedfierce said

Ah, yes, PSO, I loved that game :)

Thanks for reminding me of those awesome times!

Posted: May 22nd 2010 11:18AM Seraphina Brennan said

Phantasy Star Online consumed my life for 3 years. 3 years of the same 8 levels... but for some reason I enjoyed that game to death.

Thank you for reminding me of that game. ^_^

Posted: May 15th 2010 12:05PM AlamoeJones said

Now that school is over for the year, I get the feeling my days will be full of gaming. On this first weekend of summer I'm probably going to get to some Borderlands, Lord of Ultima, Oblivion, and Peggle. At this point I'm just biding my time until Monday when my new gaming laptop comes in! :)

As for my first MMO, it was the lauded World of Warcraft.

Posted: May 15th 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

My first ever MMO was a little 2D game called Endless Online, the only online game I could play on dial-up as it had a little 12 megabyte client. At school my junior high computer teacher actually started a RuneScape club around the time I got into online games, so I began playing that after school for an hour or two each Tuesday. My first actual paid MMORPG came once I got DSL about 3-5 years ago, and that was Tabula Rasa. I still love TR to this day, although most of my time is spent in EVE, as TR is all gone.

Posted: May 15th 2010 3:44PM Pingles said

Currently playing Earth Eternal and Allods.

First MMO was Dark Age of Camelot.

Posted: May 15th 2010 5:12PM (Unverified) said

I've been playin Age of Conan off and on since Nov 09, and just decided to make my sub permanent as of last month. All I can say is AWESOME! For those of you debating to try it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Once it gets going, its addictive and beautiful and just a blast to play. I bought Godslayer yesterday and it's simply amazing. My highest toon is a 39 barbarian and I really just can't get enough. I hope to get in a fun mature guild soon, my character is Raznos on the Tyranny server. Give me a shout if you know a guild or are new just wanting someone to hang out with. I'll gladly roll another toon.

My first mmo was Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and I'll never forget how amazing my time was there. Something I'll cherish forever. So much fun.

Posted: May 16th 2010 12:56AM Birk said

Seconded! Age of Conan is the bees knees - as far as atmosphere, only it and LOTRO have ever captured my heart to such an extent.

And recently, I've been in a more pillage-and-slaughter mood, rather than a whimsical-elf-loving one.

As for my first MMO? Well, that would be Runescape, of course. But I never really liked Runescape too much (played it back when the graphics were 2d, at a time where I could have drawn better sprites with MSPaint).

The first MMO that I was actually addicted to was a little game called Dransik, now known as Ashen Empires. It's still a good time! A lot like UO, really, though I think the crafting system is much, much better. Recently they have added player housing and naval combat, and I think the game is on its...third expansion? While I'm waxing nostalgic about it, why not give it a little plug:

www.ashenempires.com

Ah yes, old friend. And now, unlimited free play! (Barring expansion content, and albeit at a slower rate of XP gain)

Er....I don't work for AE. And I don't really play it anymore...just passing on the good honey!

Posted: May 15th 2010 5:06PM yeppers said

Started another character in GW -- a Ranger to see what all the hoopla is about. I'd like to play completely through the PvE content so I'm ready for GW2 (books and game). Still also playing LotRO on the side.

First MMO for me -- The Realm Online

Posted: May 15th 2010 5:12PM Vitamin Dei said

Like Blah, my first MMO was Phantasy Star Online. I played that game for countless hours, running through the same four zones killing predictable, slow-moving mobs, collecting loot and being endlessly one-shotted by Dark Falz (let's hear it for Grants!).

I played only RAcaseals because hey, pretty robots. I'm not sure anything has really stacked up to my first MMO experience, and I tend to look for shades of PSO in just about any MMO I play these days.

Playing this weekend: TF2 as usual, Fallen Earth, Modern Warfare 2.

Posted: May 15th 2010 6:53PM cray said

My first MMO was Guild Wars, it was initially met with disappointment. Mostly because I was totally unprepared to play an MMO. Of course Guild Wars presented it's own challenges being heavily instanced, not that I knew what Persistent worlds were like. We (my friends and I) basically quit it. Then months later I gave it another try after having read about other MMO's. I because to fully appreciate the genre.

I'll be offline this weekend to play a board game called Twilight Emporium with friends.

Posted: May 15th 2010 7:05PM VioletArrows said

First mmo was Ragnarok Online, unless you could count Neopets... somehow. I dunno. Some kind of disjointed virtual world where you can't really see anyone else?

Ugh. Torchlight is on sale on Steam and I bit immediately. I'll probably only be leaving the caves for a few hours of testing LEGO U. At this point, I only feel obligated to test it (because I whined when I wasn't in the first wave of beta); I really don't enjoy it anymore. I might just stop soon.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:02PM (Unverified) said

This weekend will be split between work, Eschalon: Book II, and Fallen Earth.

As for my first MMO (assuming we aren't counting MUD's and text based multiplayer stuff) was a game called UnderLight by Lyra Studios. It was hardly massive, and had Daggerfall style quasi-3D, but it was the first truly multiplayer online game I got involved with.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:13PM raven7680 said

This weekend I'm going to be spending time packing for a trip, playing Lego Batman w/ my hubby and playing some Requiem: Momento Mori. My first mmo was WoW (hides in a corner).....my hubby started playing first and I figured if you can't beat'em join'em. =P

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:18PM (Unverified) said

This weekend I am playing "Opps I left revising to late, no sleep for me". At the moment I am trying my best to resist Eve Online and playing the Conan trial. First MMO was UO on *coughs* best server ever; catskills.

Posted: May 16th 2010 12:51AM (Unverified) said

I'll being farming some badgers in World of Warcraft, continuing to bust through LC on Star Trek Online and maybe do a dungeon or two in DDO. Oh and some good old tabletop roleplaying using the old WEG Star Wars system.

Dark Age of Camelot was my first but World of Warcraft was the MMO that I really cut my teeth on.

Posted: May 16th 2010 5:28AM (Unverified) said

I'm in the same boat as Blah, fedfierce, Quez and Vitamin Dei.
Phantasy Star Online, on the Dreamcast, was my first MMO experience.

Like the others have said, there was something uniquely magical about it at the time, and it'll forever hold a special place in my gaming heart.

I remember being in awe at a *built-in 56k modem* on the DC, and I still remember to this day where I was and what I was doing the very first time I was able to log in back in 2000.

I was amazed that I could chat, interact, socialise and adventure with other actual human beings in such a grand way. It was like logging into some kind of dreamland each time I played.

Of course, it didn't hurt that I absolutely loved the music and art-style either, and much like Vitamin Dei I still find my gaming tastes revolving around the tenets seeded by PSO all those years ago.

You know what they say about your 'first' - for me, it's definitely true =)

These days, PSØ (Zero) on the DS (and to a lesser degree, PSPortable2 on the PSP) are a whole lot of fun, and I highly recommend Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii for anyone looking to recapture the 'PSO feel' in a modern title.

And just for those smitten with nostalgia, watch this and tell me it doesn't make you well up just a little:

Ah, those sights and sounds. Yup those were the days.

Posted: May 16th 2010 12:46PM whateveryousay said

*watches*

You know what I miss the most? Those chat bubbles. Sure, a lot of games allow for similar on screen convos, but none have ever captured the pure comic book nature of PSO. Also, I can't believe how good the game still looks after almost ten years now.

Posted: May 16th 2010 1:37PM (Unverified) said

Yeh the chat bubbles were awesome.
In the DS version (PSØ) it's fantastic, as you can literally write on the screen to communicate (as well as choose from a bunch of pre-fab remarks) and your writing simply pops up in the game field.

Couple more videos:
- PSØ Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwr8Pru8Ao&feature=related
- PSP2 Boss Fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUbYbEZwZe8&feature=related

I love the return to the PSO style of tactical realtime fights (compared to PSU), plus all the original races and mags. If you own a DS and you're even remotely a PSO fan, you need to own it. =)