Posted: May 15th 2010 8:10AM (Unverified) said

Alganon.

I feel bad because of the amount of drama that has gone on with the game.. but as a F2P indie game, it's not to bad.

What keeps me playing and interested is that it's new, and it's going to go through changes. Things like WoW don't really change anymore, you've got the same busted Warrior mechanics you had back in the day, going through YET AGAIN another "rage normalization". Rage doesnt work. At least Alganon realizes this and is removing it all together.

I like feeling like my feedback counts, that I can help shape something. I think Alganon, if it survives 12 months, will be a great game to play.

It's just gotta dump the drama... lol.. and get down to releasing new cool stuff every week.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
So, your example of a good thing about Alganon is that, having shamelessly plagiarized a bad mechanic from WoW, they're now planning to change it.

I can see why you feel bad about liking it.

Posted: May 15th 2010 11:02AM Cendres said

I'm there with you!! Let's hang out in shame together! :D I'm looking forwards to a new race IF the game survives. I hope so.

Actually it's not shame so much as 'oh boy I'm gonna get flamed for saying Alganon is fun...' It's more that I have to brace myself in the face of the rage machine.. ;)

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:25AM (Unverified) said

mmo wise world of warcraft xd... console wise two words lol

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:26AM (Unverified) said

Mabinogi. I think it looks gay (yes I know I'm immature for using that word as an adjective) but the gameplay is fun.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:28AM (Unverified) said

heh, I think alganons only issue is it still tries to pretend its not just a cookie cutter fantasy mmo.

EvE just didnt have the content (since its mostly player driven) to keep me around even tho Ive played it off n on for almost 6 years (90% off lol) but ive always said its a cool game, and a very very unique one (both in universe and gameplay / design)

I enjoy wow, and am not ashamed of it :p hell i get a kick outta the people who do think they're special and "different from everyone else" for bashing wow.

I tried Champions online during its free weekends WAY back when... and that one i liked more then maybe i'd be willing to admit... but not enough to ever buy it lol >_<

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:42AM (Unverified) said

Well yeah, the "drama" for the game is that they did indeed rip off a lot of stuff from other games. That was a major point a lot of people gave feedback on during early beta, myself included.

The upside to that is the curret dev team is busy trying to remove as much of that as they can and put in something that is far away from the original guy in charges vision of "lets take everything people like from other games, and put it into one game, they will flock to us". I remember having conversations in world chat with him and other devs about how stupid that idea was. It failed miserably.

So yeah, that is the part of why I feel bad about liking Alganon because it has suc a tarnished image right now.

The upside though is that even in it's current state, which is better than it was a few weeks a go and much better than a few months ago .. even like this... there is much to like and much potential. It just needs to last through a few months of ripping out crap and replacing it with original mechanics or content. If it can d that, it'll be a game worthy or spending time on.

I enjoy seeing change in games. It;s why I am back playing EQ2 and why I quit WoW. Some games improve for the better over time, some games cling to broken crap and try to pile crap on top of crap.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:47AM (Unverified) said

Cooking Mama is pure awesome.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:51AM (Unverified) said

Oh mmos you mean? I can't really say I am embarrassed that I like a certain game, I usually have a pretty keen sense as to wether or not a game sucks within a short time of trying it out.

I'm embarrassed I spent so much time in a 4 year span being addicted to WoW. I wish I could get some of that time back.

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:53AM TheGreatMachine said

Champions Online. I hate the saturday morning cartoon storylines, and PVP will never get the attention it needs but it's still pretty fun gameplay wise.

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:02AM whateveryousay said

Almost every f2p MMO there is. I just like them. Even the crappy ones have their charm.

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:22AM Faryon said

I generally want to like every MMO I try (with the exception of Alganon), so I feel bad when I find a deal-breaker that makes me dislike the game.

Examples:
I really liked the combat system in CO so I feel bad that I have never been able to level a char to max level because the quests are so tedious and boring.

I like the space part of STO so I feel bad that the horrible ground combat, crafting and repetetive quests made me /sighquit.

I love the setting and combat in AoC so I feel bad because I have never gotten a char to max level because of boring and grindy quests.

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:24AM (Unverified) said

I'm pretty ashamed of my lvl 49 runescape character. MANY a wasted hour spent there

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:27AM SgtBaker said

• Half a heart
I'm ashamed I can't seem to break my EVE habit despite my complete and utter lack of interest in it at the moment.

Writing overly aggressive and bitter comments about it on various messageboards seems to be more fun than logging into the damn thing.

Still EVE is better than whatever rest of you carebears play

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:32AM (Unverified) said

Yeah, I'm not tracking why anyone would "feel bad" about liking a game.

When you log on, you are sharing the virtual community with other players who feel the same as you about the game in question.

When you go to forums...well there are usually many folks there who would like to make YOU feel bad about liking a game...but that is usually because of some internal issues they may have and nothing to do with you.

Frankly it's no ones business what games you like and don't like and opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one. So until someone else pony's up my monthly fee, I'll like what I like at the moment and the resident hater can p*ss off :P

Posted: May 15th 2010 9:51AM Pingles said

How about this one: Free Realms

I got to feeling VERY creepy as an older player playing Free Realms. I'll admit that it was part of what made me quit. Grouping for a quest and finding out your group mates are all 6 and 7 years old was too much.

Fun game, though. Lots of unique stuff.

Not crazy about their pay model now.

Posted: May 15th 2010 10:51AM whateveryousay said

@Pingles

Yea, I know what you mean. It's bad enough that most times I find that the people i'm grouped up with are typically in the 13-16 year range, but 6 and 7? I'd feel like I was babysitting without the pay.

Posted: May 15th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

@torak

Exactly!

Posted: May 15th 2010 7:13PM cray said

I totally agree with Torak.

I know some of my friends like games I absolutely despise. They enjoy it for their own reasons, Why would I want to take that away from them? Otherwise I wouldn't be a good friend would I?

If I am asked to play a game I hate, I simply decline their invite at tell my friend that the game is not my cup of tea. They respect this as I expect the same understanding when it comes to the games I like.

There are more games we enjoy together than games we hate/love individually, so we don't fret over these matters.

Posted: May 15th 2010 10:21AM Justpotatoes said

Vanguard. It's a great game and has such a wonderful community, but so much of the MMO world seems to think it's dead, and SOE certainly hasn't done much to persuade people otherwise. Vanguard is on my list of "MMOs to return to someday."

One Shots: A prince among men