Posted: May 16th 2010 2:40AM mysecretid said

EQ II was my favorite high-fantasy MMORPG for a long time, but when I bought the last expansion, I realized the graphics had aged past the point of acceptability for my tastes.

The Storyteller feature sounds like a good minor tweak, but I can't go back until the graphics get a jump-up. Graphics are not my first priority in a game, but everybody's got their limit.

Posted: May 16th 2010 4:11AM Seffrid said

Out of interest, were you playing the game on a machine that allowed you to have the graphics on fully maxed settings?

The landscape graphics in the original open zones are bland even on full settings, although the various expansion landscapes are better. The character models and buildings look superb, and the spell effects are better than in any other MMO in my opinion.

Unless you're playing on very low settings then it's difficult to see the graphics being considered overall as so poor as to deter people from playing.

Unlike a lot of the other changes SOE have forced upon a critical playerbase, the Storyteller feature sounds quite a good one.

Posted: May 16th 2010 8:10AM Greeen said

I agree, sounds pretty nifty. LOTRO tries to sort the quests a bit better than the average mmo, but doesn't sound anything near like this.
Not enough for me to restart EQ2 now, but maybe again at some point.

Posted: May 16th 2010 9:41AM Valdamar said

EQ2 has some fantastic features and I often wish I was still playing it, but then I remember the things that made me quit:

1) I find the combat really boring (admittedly it's a lot more fun than EQ1, but it's far more boring than even WoW and certainly less fun/exciting than CoH).

2) the classes seemed too similar to each other and not as clearly differentiated in gameplay as, say, WoW or DAoC's classes - I just couldn't get too excited about any of the classes when I played.

3) the island zones seemed more like levels in a game than parts of a world, which was a shame when EQ1 did such a fantastic job of creating a world.

4) player avatars are fugly and when I played all the types of armour looked really bland, which is odd because the gameworld is really pretty.

But in terms of things like player housing, collection quests, quest journal/management, dungeons, crafting, early game experience, atmosphere, etc. EQ2 is one of the best fantasy MMOs out there.

Posted: May 16th 2010 10:51AM Seffrid said

When did you last play, Valdamar?

Posted: May 16th 2010 11:27AM (Unverified) said

Awesome, can't wait to re-sub to this alongside my girl when Halas is released. WoW has become stale and we're quitting until Cataclysm, so this will be a great summer game to play.

Posted: May 16th 2010 4:24PM Wisdomandlore said

I gave EQ2 a shot last year and actually liked it. Combat was fast and speedy, if a little bland (WoW is the opposite, slow and methodical but with lots of bells and whistles). The expansion areas were vastly superior to the original areas. I hated trying to adventure around Qeynos, but then went to that jungle continent where the dragon people live (no idea on the name, sorry), and loved it. Better graphics, quests, enemies, everything.

The graphics were a sticking point for me. The engine turns out some high-quality stuff, but the art design is hideous. Many of the character models and a lot of the lands were just fugly, even if they looked good technically.

I'm actually trying to decide whether to buy the game and give it another shot, since I'm tired of LOTRO and waiting for the next batch of AAA MMOs.

Posted: May 16th 2010 5:35PM (Unverified) said

I just started playing EQ2 consistently since January, having played WoW and about every other major MMO over the course of the last 5 years, though mostly WoW.

The graphics are quite bland in the older zones, but as you get into newer and newer zones, the graphics only get better. Seriously, when I went to The Sundered Frontier in Sentinel's Fate the first time.. with everything maxed and GPU shadows.. I was like holy cow is this still EQ2 I'm playing? It looks like age of conan or even better in some of the areas.. and yet you go to Qeynos/Freeport starting areas and it looks entirely dated and ugly.

In other words, if you can get past the older zones and give the game a chance, it's unparalleled in my opinion as far as content in an MMO (except EQ1 of course, since it's been out forever). You'll NEVER run out of stuff to do if you have a small group to play with.

Compared to WoW's level 80 endgame which consists of PvP, Dailies, and Raids (grinding the same things over and over..), EQ2 makes WoW look like a kiddie game in terms of depth. In EQ2, you can do everything you can in WoW at 80 (though the PvP I haven't enjoyed as much as WoW, but thats it) and TONS more. There's various epic quest chains, housing + guild halls, mentoring (leveling down to see content you might have missed, and doing it at the level it was meant to be done at). The crafting in EQ2 is like a minigame in itself and gives crafting a nice flavor as well. EQ2 has an appearance tab so you don't have to look identical to everyone else.. you can have an armor setup just to look a certain way which WoW DEFINITELY needs nowadays.. everybody looks the same there.

Anyhow, although I know Everquest 2 doesn't have the massive subscriber numbers WoW has.. it doesn't bother me at all since I know I'm playing the original MMO series that got the genre going.. remember when WoW launched it was simply a more polished EQ clone, before it turned into an Arcade-style MMO with Wrath. Also EQ2 has lots and lots of ladies playing it.. kinda scary at times lol :)

Give EQ2 a shot if you want but just remember the game grows with you over time.. doesn't have the best newbie zones but once you see all the game has to offer it gets VERY addicting.

Posted: May 16th 2010 5:43PM (Unverified) said

I forgot to say one of the other things I love about EQ2 is the community.. it has a very mature community that can have adult discussions about anything, and it isn't filled with L33tsp34k in chat and flaming over asking newbie questions in-game. People for the most part are very helpful and will answer whatever questions you may have and I have yet to play with any complete idiots/jerks in-game. Quite a nice change indeed.

Posted: May 25th 2010 10:26AM DeadlyAccurate said

I just started playing EQ2 this year, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I also have a lifetime sub to LOTRO, and I'm glad I got that before I started playing EQ2, because I might not have ever subscribed to LOTRO otherwise (and would have missed a fantastic game). EQ2 just has *more* of everything other theme park high fantasy MMOs have.

The Stream Team: Where the WildStar things are