Posted: May 14th 2010 8:10AM (Unverified) said

I'm okay with pre-ordering, s'long as the game is very up front with what they will be delivering and, furthermore, lift the NDA early on in testing. Why? To be as lucid as possible.

W:AR released too early - they did not test nearly enough, and because of that a lot of folks who pre-ordered were hung out to dry with $50 burned out of their pockets.

Global Agenda, however, allowed pre-ordering, lifted the NDA and showed exactly what would be there 'at release' and even put off ever charing ANYONE another penny until they felt they delivered on original promises, or, at least on what the CONSUMERS thought would be worth a subscription.

The real issue, as always, is just money. Developers simply don't have the cash after pumping $20 million into a game, or something, and then not asking for pre-orders or giving special rewards for those who do suffer a game's early release.

It's a sad concept, game releases. I hate to paint Global Agenda as some amazing game, it certainly has many a flaw, however I would argue its concept of pre-ordering to release and post-release system has been the best I've ever seen in an MMO. I'm impressed by it even still.

Your statement, "it can be argued that pre-ordering allows MMORPG makers to deliver unfinished games due to pre-existing demand and blind faith from fans," is the real issue, as I've said. We cannot be walked all over any longer as the consumer, otherwise games, such as Age of Conan, will continue to get away with it. I will not be purchasing RoG and nor do I care a lick about it - Funcom did precisely what a game ought not never do, breaking many a cardinal rule. For shame.

I shall, however, subscribe to Global Agenda for at least a month or two and might not even play it - simply out of principle. Maybe these other companies shall learn.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:23AM Pewpdaddy said

The only game(new to me) I've pre-ordered not including Xpacks was WAR. Because of my experience with the fail(IMO) that is WAR, I will be very careful as to any future pre-orders when I havent already played the game. Global Agenda was able to suck me in with the free trial. And that IMO is the easiest way to bring in fresh meat. Put your product out there if you believe in it. If it's good trigger happy healers such as myself will gladly toss you your 40 bones.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:24AM Beau Hindman said

"On the one hand, it's clear that players love any chance to acquire new shinies, even if it means paying a little extra." --I like this point, only to show that for many years NA players have been, essentially, participating in RMT, cash-shoppery or however you want to put it. The NA audience is just fine with virtual item trading, as long as it is cool enough! :) Spending 75 dollars on a pre-order box to get a cool mount or something similar is the same as me spending 25 dollars on a sparkle pony in WoW.

Beau

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:25AM (Unverified) said

I have nothing against preorders themselves, however I am a strong believer that any mmo with a subscription should have all items in the game available through ingame means. Sadly the industry disagrees with me and they all add items with their preorders nobody can get afterwards or sneak in a cash shop months/years after release.

Games like Star Trek Online have shown how important the extra ingame goodies are to people, some even going as far as spending hundreds to buy every preorder version and lifetime sub to get all the extra's. Companies are in it for the money, it is in their very nature, so they will use that extra cash cow.

I can't really blame the companies, I would probably have done the same if in their shoes, but that does not mean I have to be happy about it as a customer.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:29AM elocke said

I say yes. I say this because I remember the days when you had to patiently wait for the game to release just to go to the store and have it sold out or worse, the date changed at the last second, thereby wasting your whole trip and putting you in a foul mood.

I also like the idea of paying on a game in installments, basically before the game comes out, making it easier to afford.

That being said, I can't wait till APB is out so you can all stop talking about it as much. The game is horrible.

Posted: May 21st 2010 7:41AM spartanthetriviumorg said

While I'm not super keen on the preorder bonus idea, I do feel that if a company is going to offer one, it should provide something worthwhile for the early adopter dammit!

Moreover if there is a LtS option then everything offered should be given to the people that purchase it [after one year of availability].

Also different options based on retailers is pure BS IMNSHO.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:57AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
Industry is exploited to the max on pre-orders and collectors edition gimmicks, I haven't pre-ordered since Age of Conan, I learned my lesson there and how phoney all marketing deparments are and have become. The latest exploitation is getting into 'closed beta' when you pre-order. If they do this, its a sign to me the game is fail and has no playability or content to last more than a few hours.

As with is all games today, its a simple concept. Money. There are more non gamers who play games than true gamers, so games are not even games no more, they are interactive stories with very little control. The MMO's are cookie cutter crap put together by a freshman college group of scripters controlled by the idiot of all gamers (ARTISTS) who have no clue how to make a game.

Posted: May 14th 2010 10:00AM (Unverified) said

What a comment! I don't even know where to start.. oh wait I can't be bothered.

Except to ask:
If, then, "there are more non gamers who play games than true gamers, so games are not even games no more, they are interactive stories with very little control"

and

"MMO's are cookie cutter crap put together by a freshman college group of scripters controlled by the idiot of all gamers (ARTISTS) who have no clue how to make a game"

..would you care to enlighten us (and indeed the entire gaming industry) on how a game *should* be made?

lol

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:12AM Cendres said

+10 on Amana's comment lol!

I'm also curious on what in your high esteem makes a 'true' gamer? Little hint; don't go there.

I have been pushed to try simple games this week because my own PC is out of commission. Retrying Dofus and the new 2.0 version which has a complete graphical update, I am blown away by the features in that game. Because it is a 2D MMO with cute anime sprites most people will wave away this rich fun game because it looks 'kiddy'. While missing out on something cool, are you sure you're not doing the same thing here?

Getting into open beta with a pre order is pretty standard marketing, LOTRO did it, is that game fail? No it's not. Please really think about your statements here, it's not all EVIL is out to get you. ;)

Posted: May 14th 2010 9:45AM Deryk said

I pre-order and have never had a problem doing so with it. I like the pre-order items and I find often, that if the game has a rough launch, I come back to it sooner or later when they're finally ready. In the meantime, I've gotten to check it out the day the game goes live, and got some shiny stuff along the way.

No regrets, it's just life experience. I just made that up.

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:08AM breezer said

Pre-ordering MMOs is a noob move.

Anyone who's been around a while knows that wait n see is the only sure fire method to know how an MMO's going to be.

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:31AM Saker said

Agree!

Posted: May 14th 2010 10:58AM cray said

I've never bothered to pre-order a game, the incentives to do so, just don't warrant the risk of buying a poorly received game. I generally wait for several reviews of the complete game before I make any real decision.

I agree that game makers need to lift their NDA before pre-orders, otherwise it's a sign of bad things. Whether it's a lack of confidence in their product, fearing competition, or the game is unfinished.

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:32AM Saker said

Strongly agree!

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:08AM Mr Angry said

I preorder because the cost of the game isn't really a concern, if I get at least a month of fun out of it. The extra's are nice, so don't want to miss those if there are up for offer.

On the whole companies are pretty good about the whole pre-order thing and they are delivered as specified and promptly, with a couple of notable exceptions...

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:09AM Khorrax said

Actually, he is right.

Sorry, the MMO genre is stagnating for a few good years, yet people will happily pay subscriptions or cash items for games of questionable quality. And if producers can get away with this and even more, make good money, they'll keep doing this. Sadly, games nowadays are made to cover a larger number and type of customers which is most of the times reflected in the quality of the product. Most games slowly turn into interactive videos where your influence is minimal, and you are simply forced to walk the path imposed by the producers.

Let's not forget DLCs. Come on, DLC released on the same day a game is launched? (this is not MMO related, but more gaming industry as a whole) Not to mention their quality and replayability are not great.

Also, never use the argument of numbers ("Because, clearly, you're some kind of genius who knows something the rest of us 100m gamers and industry professionals don't?") if you actually want to prove something.

Anyway, if you genuinely enjoy the games that were released lately, it's perfectly fine by me. But don't pick on someone who has high standards and wants games of better quality.

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:12AM Khorrax said

I was replying to Amana regarding his/her comment on myemail4gaming's opinion.

I hate this site's comment system :P

Posted: May 14th 2010 2:14PM HackJack said

I was going to say he's right too.

People simply can't accept to be looked from above (even when being in the mud is a deserved position) and they rate down true comments.

The fault is all ours - the gamers' - and there's nothing we can do that will purge us from our sins except strive for NON SUPERFICIAL games.

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:11AM Ripper McGee said

The pre-order game I'm currently watching is Xsyon. Notorious Games started offering pre-orders before there was any true beta testing and before there were actual in-game screenshots or videos. Also, the only way for a member of the general public to have a chance to get into beta was to fully pay for a pre-order copy of the game. The game and company came out of nowhere and, frankly, screamed "scam".

That being said, after tracking the game for a while, Notorious just seems like an extremely bootstrapped indie trying to make a product. I don't necessarily agree with their approach, but based on their progress and developer communication, they seem like they're trying hard to make a good game for a niche audience. Kudos to them. Hopefully it works out and those players who've plunked down their money for the pre-order feel like they got what they paid for.

~Ripper

Posted: May 14th 2010 11:18AM Cendres said

I have no problems with pre orders and do so often, I go in knowing full well it's part of their marketing push and understand that they need to make the money they spent and more to support the game and give us MORE fun in the end.

I also don't expect to blame anyone but myself if it turns south because I was raised to take responsibility for my decisions, NO matter how much glitter is passed over my eyes it's up to ME to think things through and try to make the right choice.

:D