Posted: May 14th 2010 10:55PM MewmewGrrl said

• 1 heart
They seem to have really pretty and interesting looking characters to play.

I sort of wish people were forced to play their own sex only just one time. I understand that that limits things for people, but it would be nice to see it in one game at least.

There was a time I defended people cross playing (more for the fact that I wanted to play some males at the time in order to hide from some people and be left alone).

I guess I'm "jealous" when guys play female. As a real female, I absolutely hate watching guys pretend to be girls. I think "I was born this way, that's why I get to use these characters." and I get really upset watching the fake girls interact with guys who have no clue. But I don't flirt and use my gender to try to get any advantages. I don't want to. The thing is, if anybody SHOULD get treated better, it should be us REAL girls, not the guys who imagine they are girls in their heads. Again, I don't like the idea, I like that we all should be equal, but the guys playing girls don't feel that way, they feel that girls should be given free stuff and treated better of course, since that is half of the reason they are pretending to be girls. So to sit here and watch them actually get the stuff, that gets me jealous I guess because I actually am a girl, but I keep telling people I want to earn my own stuff and I feel we all should.

If it was a guy wanting to give another guy free stuff, that would be fine, as long as the deception wasn't taking place. Every time these weird guys get caught or lift the mask off and are seen who they really are, they hurt the reputation of real online girls (we have to hear the "there are no girls online!" crap constantly from ignorant morons, or get people super pushy about our real information, phone numbers etc in order to "prove" that we are who we say we are).

There are so many guys playing girls and many give online girls a bad name - the way these she-he's act people think these are actually girls acting that way. We have enough problems without the fake girls making us look like we're all a bunch of crazy strippers or something.

I hate when they act all nasty and stupid, getting the guys to talk all super dirty to them too and get used to and think to themselves that's an okay normal way to talk to women online, since so many of these "women" are talking this way with them.

Anyway I guess in the end, I don't look like what these characters look like, so maybe I shouldn't be so upset at the "fake" avatar genders that people use. I'm not all super fancy and absolutely top notch beautiful like you can make your avatar, so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh about the guys playing different sexes. Then again, I don't pretend that I actually am an elf, or swear that I really look like my avatar.

/End rant?

Posted: May 15th 2010 12:01AM JanChel said

o.O;

Posted: May 15th 2010 1:29AM (Unverified) said

You do understand, we play these games to get away from our normal lives, right? I've only played a female toon once, and that was a Witch Elf in WAR, in which, I was forced to. (I would've played a male Witch Elf, but... *shiver*.)

What I'm trying to say is, you are limiting people's imagination, restricting what they can and cannot be. If were made like this, why don't we make people play the same race as they truly are? Make their hair style exactly the same? Give them boring 9-5 jobs, just like our real life counter-parts?

They are digital avatars. Relax.

Posted: May 15th 2010 11:23AM Sean D said

I agree with you.

Posted: May 15th 2010 3:08AM (Unverified) said

You are to be commended for championing the principle of honest work. Games don't quite work as the same was as reality, though. But if you insist in sticking to your principle, then you must think that earning something the long way rather than the quick way, will get you something more. Think about what that is, and if you think that is right and worth it, then keep it up.

Bad fake girls sully the reputation of real girls only with idiots not worth the trouble of being upset about. Spend your time setting good examples than being upset at the bad ones.

Posted: May 15th 2010 7:59AM (Unverified) said

I play the gender which i think the armors would look better on. There are a few more elements too( lore, class, personality and background i give to my characters in my mind altho i don't rp etc.) I have female and male toons and probably more female toons. I never pretend to be anything. I don't care what other players in game might guess. I act like myself and i think somewhere down the line it would reveal that i'm male. I don't especially declare my gender nor i feel the need to.

When i'm in AoC i'm a female Cimmerian Bear Shaman most of the time. Then i can become a male Stygian HoX for a while. If the subject comes up i will say my real gender and nationality, no problem.

If someone is deceiving another and that player is stupid enough to give free items just because he thinks that is a female, that is noone's business, these silly things may happen, these are rpgs.

When you say you don't want this stuff happening to you but then say when it happens you want it to happen to real girls at least, it doesn't make sense because at the end of the day one player gets free stuff and you don't, whether they are male/female is not important. You are saying it like; "I could do that if i wanted i'm a REAL girl but i'm so honorable i choose not to". If you don't do it, more power to you. If you do, it's stupid for both of you but not my business really and i'd never know if you are male/female and it wouldn't change the fact that you just got free stuff.

So yes, /end rant.

Posted: May 15th 2010 3:34PM kasapina said

There are "bad" people in both genders, and I don't think a drama queen is better than a male player with a female avatar /dancing for stuff.
Anyhow, I play both genders, and the main thing I consider when choosing a gender is character class - I can't stand playing a buffed male mage (most games' male characters are like fitness freaks, including wow's) who can barely stand 2 hits. Also, sometimes its plain better to look at a female's back for 20/80/99 levels than a male's - call me weird for liking pixels, but even real world pictures are made of them.

Posted: May 15th 2010 4:05PM Dblade said

They don't give women a bad name if you have common sense. What gives women a bad name are what women themselves do. I honestly avoid them now when possible in MMOs: all of the ones I have known have had serious issues even up to mental illness, and I'm not one to roll the dice anymore.

I could be a lot more cynical about this, but I wont.

Posted: May 15th 2010 4:22PM Rialle said

I see where you are coming from, but my experience indicates that most people do not use their character's gender as a means of deception. They choose the gender of their toon because they like the way it looks better, or because it fits their idea of the character they want to play.

Yes, there are male players out there who try to pull the supposedly classic trick where they hit on people with a female toon in an attempt to get free stuff (or an unfair advantage in loot decisions). Sometimes it even works, but I can guarantee the guy falling for it is a moron.

Smart people know that they should make no assumptions about the real player based on their toon's appearance or their in-game behavior. This is not a statement to make people think "there are no girls on the internet," but rather common sense.

Seriously, to anyone so desperate: Even if the person playing the smoking hot elf chick in the chain mail bikini IS a woman IRL, and even IF they really are as impossibly good looking as their avatar is, the chances of you scoring just because you gave her some money/gear in game is still well below 1%.

Posted: May 15th 2010 12:01AM (Unverified) said

Replying to the above. I'm a late 20's male and it's not so much the fact that I want to be or even imagine being a female or even the fact that I want to be a pervert and only play a female avatar to look at it (although it is definitely a plus....). It's just that when I play most of these MMO's they make the female character so much detailed and intriguing (design wise) that it really surpasses any of the male toons drawing points.

Posted: May 15th 2010 12:05AM (Unverified) said

I don't think for a moment that anyone automatically assumes a female character is really a female playing.

Also, the inverse is true, I know plenty of women that play male characters.

If anything more people are likely to believe you are a guy period, since it's historically a lot more likely to be the case.

Quite the silly rant, with plenty of of self-entitlement thrown in there. I give it a 3/5

Posted: May 15th 2010 1:04AM (Unverified) said

Wow....that Elf chick has some huge....ears?

What is it with Koreans and the ginormous ear fetish? She looks like she has 2 ice scoopers attached to her head.

Posted: May 15th 2010 3:35AM Graill440 said

My mother beat me as a child, even when i did good things. Finish the chores, a beating, wash the dishes, a beating, ask for lunch money....a beating.

So i play female avatars, named mommy.............and they pay dearly.

Posted: May 15th 2010 1:04PM (Unverified) said

This is my favorite comment from you ever :)

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014