Posted: May 14th 2010 4:38PM Darkdust said

Better to release it when it's ready. The last expansion had major scalability problems and some players wanted things rolled back temporarily to the old system (they were crazy). Do it right the first time.

And you're welcome! :)

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:00PM Thac0 said

I'm still waiting for Ambulation. Wasn't that supposed to come out a year or two ago?

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:08PM Lateris said

I wish CCP would make an Eve TV show on HBO.

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:16PM SgtBaker said

Planetary flight man, that's the shiznitz!

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:42PM Firebreak said

Nah it is always coming in winter, every summer they say next winter.

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:06PM Brendan Drain said

I personally think this is a good thing. They also highlighted an important issue in the devblog that happens with practically every expansion. The players who tried the system on the test server will get a head-start in knowing exactly how the feature works before it goes live. By releasing the expansion on May 26th but not seeding the structures required for planetary interaction until June 8th, they will help level the playing field. Players can train the planetary interaction skills and form plans for dominating planets before they have the ability to. There'll even be a tutorial video out showing how it's done.

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:21PM Darkdust said

Well, actually, I found that the one part of the dev blog with which I disagreed. Anybody can get on Sisi and check it out for themselves, so it's not exactly "unfair" (though it is an advantage).

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:31PM Brendan Drain said

Not all players know about Sisi. In fact, the vast majority don't even visit the forums or EVE website. Even if they did, the effort threshold for setting up a test client and getting in to test stuff out is still too high to expect everyone interested in Tyrannis to do it. So on those grounds, I think that delay is a great way to level the playing field for all players.

There's also the possibility that they may be planning to introduce the new planet tech through some in-game event or storyline planned for after Tyrannis goes live. I'm always disappointed when a patch brings new tech with nothing but a line in the patch notes explaining the technical side and nothing explaining the story behind its creation. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed on this one that they have a bit more buildup to this.

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:38PM (Unverified) said

I've never played EVE and the only information I've seen on it is from this website. I'm very jealous of the way I see EVE handling things and being very open and honest with their playerbase. I think www.massively.com should make a rankings list of the best companies to "play for".
Cheers

Posted: May 14th 2010 5:41PM DrewIW said

One week might be enough to refactor the code and have it run more efficiently.

Unfortunately, it's probably not enough to make this a worthwhile expansion.

I really don't like how they've committed themselves to a release schedule for expansions. I'd much rather get a substantial, interesting update every 18 months, than a half-finished toy every 6.

Posted: May 14th 2010 6:02PM Kalec said

Hmmm, I could agree, but I mostly disagree there. First of all they don't usually release half-finished stuff ... and tbh eve expansions might seem small compared to say ... WoW ... but then again someone who looks close enough will notice that WoW expansions are dunkey balls ... new map with reskined characters ... 2-3 new skills and 5 new tallents.
The only thing that actually changes is the lvl cap and new raid content. So same old same old.
EvE on the other hand changes the way the game is played with each and every expansion ... and there are 2 / year!
I repeat ... they might seem small but compared to other game's expansions that seem big but aren't rly, well EvE does ok.

Posted: May 14th 2010 10:01PM GaaaaaH said

But this expansion consists mostly of planetary interaction - a framework for Dust, and is limited to 6 planets per character which can be done relatively passively and is hardly a major profession.

There has been a leak of alleged patch notes, most of which are just bug fixes and typos.

Other expansions have added more to the game, even if they were only half-finished features.

Posted: May 14th 2010 10:19PM DrewIW said

And planetary interaction is a half finished toy.

The planetary UI is entirely out of place and buggy, which now leaves us with 3 distinct UI styles (classic, fitting, planetary interaction).

The actual resources gathered are nowhere near enough, especially given the limit of 6 planets per player. This presents two options: if NPC sell orders are removed, POS fuel prices are going to skyrocket (stock up now), if they aren't removed, then planetary interaction is entirely pointless.

Try it out on SiSi if you don't believe me.

You admit that they frequently make epansions with half finished features, how can you, at the same time, claim that this is just a framework they will build on? They have absolutely no track record for finishing features. COSMOS? Quantum Rise? T3?

As it stands, Tyrannis consists of Spacebook (which is actually pretty cool), bug fixes, and planetary interaction. Planetary interaction is a boring, buggy, rehash of POS mechanics (which are themselves, STILL buggy). It's kind of fun to layout colonies once or twice, but it's far from being a substantive feature.

They could probably make it interesting and fun, but they're more committed to a 6 month release cycle than they are to quality products.

Posted: May 15th 2010 4:06AM SgtBaker said

I think they should go from 2 expansions to -> 1 expansion and 1 bug release patch.

Each expansion they put out breaks the game in horrible ways as they're in habit of releasing half-done crap. This is actually the first time they've even tried to fix things before release and that says a lot about the current state of the PI.

And they still haven't fixed the fleet lag that Dominion introduced...

Posted: May 15th 2010 1:25AM (Unverified) said

Just a question, does this mean individual players make their own investments on planets without having to need a corporation/alliance? (Sorry I've been out of the game for a year now.)

Posted: May 15th 2010 3:58AM SgtBaker said

Yeah, it's basically a reaction-chain minigame on planet surface that you can play on your own.

Not worth coming back to EVE if you've managed to get out

Posted: May 15th 2010 8:38PM (Unverified) said

Thanks I will keep an eye out till Incarna comes out then. :)