Posted: May 13th 2010 12:55PM Innocentte said

I like the idea of being able to fast-travel.
But, I also like :

* Needing to get there the slow way, at least the first time, before you can fast travel.

* Quests and other bonuses for folks that explore the environment.

* Bonuses and perks for full exploration of the World.

Just my 2c

Posted: May 13th 2010 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Actually Innocente, EQ2 does have rewards for Explorers. Every zone has several "discovery" points, which award exp/AA. Several overland zones have clickable locations or items that trigger new quests. And there are several achievements that players can unlock for exploring zones. So there definitely are perks for those that love the journey.

Posted: May 13th 2010 1:07PM (Unverified) said

I agree with Innocente.

I really liked traveling especially back in everquest 1 days. I guess it might be because i like simulation games so i dont mind the time traveling...best on pvp servers incase i see someone i can kill =P

Posted: May 13th 2010 1:08PM (Unverified) said

I wonder how extensive these changes are to travel as a whole. It would be a great blow to the game if it jumped on the "instant-teleport hub city" bandwagon that has been being perpetuated in today's MMO's. I have a feeling that this is exactly what is going to happen, but I do not want to declare it as such and get annoyed without due reason.

I can hope for it not to happen, but I'll leave it as a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Posted: May 13th 2010 1:49PM Audacious said

• 1 heart
That seems to be the case. The globes seem to be a direct knock off of WoW's flight system, minus the overly long flying animations.

Posted: May 13th 2010 2:49PM aurickle said

Silius, huh? He used to be lead on Vanguard. If he's now moved over to EQ2 it's yet further proof that Sony is never going to give Vanguard what it needs to become a success, but rather is slowly burying the game.

Too bad.

Posted: May 13th 2010 2:52PM (Unverified) said

I thought that was fairly apparent because they don't really advertise or talk about it. I wish it weren't so, but it seems like Vanguard is just going to be left alone until enough interest is lost that it finally gets closed similar to The Matrix Online.

Posted: May 13th 2010 2:55PM Lateris said

I wish a good MMO company would buy VGSOH and invent in it. SOE Purchased it for 7 million. Or maybe SOE could create an LLC that is a spin off and move it to AZ for some coool tax write offs.

Posted: May 13th 2010 2:57PM aurickle said

I just did a little spot research. In the last four months of 2009 Vanguard had 8 updates. In January of this year there was a hotfix. Since then there have been zero updates of any kind.

The In Development section of the site hasn't been updated since July of last year.

Now we see that Silius is gone from what had already been reduced to a skeleton crew. Who knows who else is gone.

I agree with you, JBFire; it can't be too much longer before Vanguard is shut down. Which is a real shame because if given real attention by SOE it could have become a far better game than EQ2.

Posted: May 13th 2010 3:11PM (Unverified) said

I concur with your sentiments. Vanguard had (and still has) potential in today's market to be an alternative to the current design choices with completely instanced worlds, etc. That was always what it was being made for and could still be there for. Maybe the audience for that doesn't exist anymore or maybe they all just got burned from the initial year of Vanguard beta that was supposed to be it's first year of release, I just don't know.

In a perfect world, a game like Vanguard would have a decent (by early MMO standards, not in respect to WoW's numbers) following that would enjoy it for what it is, an alternative. Unfortunately, the majority of MMO gamers in particular are fickle and are not known for giving games a second chance once they've moved on to a newer shinier one. They generally defend that decision with quite a bit of tenacity. Again, I can hope that Vanguard goes strong (and by the grace of god himself) get updated at all, but realistically I just can't see it being sustained for much longer.

Posted: May 13th 2010 2:56PM (Unverified) said

A direct knock off of WoW's flight system? Or a copy of EQ1's book/Plane of Knowledge system? A modification of EQ2's existing "mariner bell" system?

EQ2 was released before WoW. It is not a WoW clone and it does not rip off WoW. I really hate it when people act as though everything in MMOs, especially those released prior to WoW, was taken from WoW. If anything, both WoW and EQ2 knocked off the original EverQuest.

Posted: May 13th 2010 7:42PM TheGreatMachine said

/signed

Posted: May 13th 2010 3:08PM Seffrid said

Jimbo is spot on.

As ofr Silius, he is still Acting Producer on VG and supervises whatever team is still working on the game. While I don't doubt for a moment that it is merely being kept on life-support, fans of the game should be grateful that the team is kept in place by largely being funded through the other games they are contributing to such as EQ2.

These days a stable like SOE has huge overlaps between the different games, and the teams switch between them as needed. That way they get paid, and the games stay live.

If enough people want VG to stay afloat then enough people will play VG to enable it to happen. Anything else is crocodile tears on the part of those choosing not to play it. Anyone would think that Sigil produced a gem of a game that SOE then ruined - and we all know it wasn't like that.

Posted: May 13th 2010 7:04PM (Unverified) said

The insta-travel options in EQ2 are already numerous. I'm not sure what they really needed to do on this.

A player can get to any group instance in the game in less than five minutes and most of them you can get to in 30 seconds. Guilds can move from one raidzone to any other in the game in less than 5 minutes.

Between mariner bells, druid rings, wizard spires, carpets, Call of City, Call to Guild Hall, and Call of Veteran, it is well covered. If they make it any more convenient players will just need to click on a button and instantly zone into any instance in the game straight from the guild hall.

I love all the people crying over Vanguard being put on life support but none of them actually play the game. How dare SOE stop supporting a lame duck game that no one plays.

Posted: May 25th 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

Despite the existing instant travel, there is still a lot of zoning to do. Does it make sense to stress servers and cilents to zone four times to move from area A to area B? What is removed by streamlining that?

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:14AM (Unverified) said

VG isn't dead the guild after hours has just formed on the seradon server due to a post on another forum and it's full of new and returning players. The guild is up to 100 low to mid level people if you are thinking of trying the game or coming back look us up there are lots online to group with!

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM