Posted: May 13th 2010 3:45PM (Unverified) said

I disagree that the proposed changes to energy builders are the most disliked change ever, I don't know why you chose to spin it that way (the thread you linked is only 13 pages long).

See, a lot of the balance of the game depends on energy generation. Instead of cooldowns, CO tries to meter out the big attacks by making them cost big energy, and since energy takes time to build, this is like a dynamic evolution of the cooldown concept.

The problem is that due to various inequities between powers, some build were able to trivialize energy generation. This breaks all kinds of things, generating limitless energy is what allows folks to spam big attacks like Gigabolt and Force Cascade, or to spam ultra-defenses like Mindful Reinforcement.

Reigning in the builds who generate limitless energy through broken mechanics will have a huge balancing effect on the entire game. In fact, I seem to recall that the author of behind the mask is a gigabolt spammer (no offense, I spam FC and Massacre), and so I would not be surprised if the "worst ever change" spin is an attempt to save a personally favorite build. I have such builds too, but I would rather them make this change for the overall health of the game's balance.

Posted: May 13th 2010 4:14PM Seraphina Brennan said

He's not a gigabolt spammer, that was one of his friends. Patrick actually plays a huge variety of builds.

~Sera

Posted: May 13th 2010 6:57PM (Unverified) said

The gigabolt spammer referred to in that article is me, and the worst ever change actually does almost nothing to affect that build as I generate 90% of my energy through Ionic Reverb, and the other 10% through energy building and not blocking, which isn't getting nerfed nearly as badly.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:03AM Arcadian said

Save a retcon, Skippy.

Expect Ionic Reverb, Killer Instinct, and the rest of those powers to get nerfed into the ground too as a direct result of the focus on making EBs more necessary.

Also, expect to shave at least 2 advantage points off every build you have in order to rank up your EB, if not 4...

Posted: May 13th 2010 4:09PM (Unverified) said

I don't think this is the worst change ever. I spam gigabolt as a default as most players do. There needs to be more power balance but I really don't think you want them to "nerf the damage of some of the highest power attacks, like Force Cascade, Haymaker, Gigabolt, etc through the floor". These powers are REALLY fun to land and it should take a bit more finesse to pull them off.

People talk about power balancing as if CO is City of Heroes or WoW, it's not - there are no set classes so there is no way to balance power sets against each other. The only way is what the Devs are TRYING to do in making energy building more generic and balanced for all players. Yes, you have a crazy huge attack like Haymaker but, you shouldn't be able to hand it out like business cards.

Building in a more tactical aspect to CO is not a bad thing. AND LEAVE MY GIGABOLT ALONE!

Besides, you haven't even TRIED it yet.

Posted: May 13th 2010 7:05PM (Unverified) said

If you think these changes are going to stave off a future nerf to force cascade and gigabolt, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Posted: May 13th 2010 11:04PM (Unverified) said

@Blackstream - I don't think that, the Dev said it in the forums...

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:08AM Arcadian said

Agreed. Guess what's coming with the Force powerset pass?

Hint: It's not going to be "make Force Cascade stronger and Force Shield return more energy when blocking".

Energy Builder nerf will be followed by big hitters nerf, which will be followed by what's left of the playerbase going to CoX Going Rogue.

What, you thought the Melee improvements weren't going to have a steep cost?

Welcome to City of Energy Builders.

Posted: May 13th 2010 4:29PM (Unverified) said

No matter how hard I try I just cant fully enjoy roleplaying in a MMO
environment. There are just too many things that you have to ignore,
disregard and suspend your belief in order to properly roleplay. I
think the biggest thing is that nothing your character does every
changes or affects the world around them.
Like your character kills a named boss, but two minutes later the boss respawns in the same spot. No matter how many times you kill that boss, he just keeps coming back!

Or you complete a story arc about how your character defeats the arch
villian of an evil faction of mutants crushing their forces, yet those
same mutants are still running around committing crimes!
and then your invited to a group to kill that same archvillian again.....

The content of MMO is based around repetition and your character
doing the same things over and over again which doesnt make sense
roleplayingwise.
There is also just too much MMO lingo speak and abbreviations that
cant be avoided which ruins immersion causing you to constantly go in
and out of character.
And then you have to try to cram all your roleplaying thoughts into
one small line of text on a screen that after a couple seconds is
scrolled out by other text. its very hard to roleplay when your
medium is so limiting.
Even the gear in MMO games bugs me, my character puts on some boots
and suddenly is more intelligent?
it is so hard roleplaying in an MMO environment, but i think of all the MMO's COH and CO are the best to roleplay in.

Posted: May 13th 2010 8:19PM Dblade said

Roleplaying..eh.

I do it in CO pretty frequently, and its maybe 30% furries/demons, 30% people in blue jeans or civilian wear with names like John Smith, 15% erps, 15% people who think RP means acting as insane or as annoying as possible, and 10% good rp. I'm tempted to write my own FAQ.

As for EB, the problem isnt energy generation that way imo. The problem was they listened to the "buff not nerf" crowd and now the game is spike damage online where you die in seconds and one shot people. They need a damage cap overall or something.

Posted: May 13th 2010 9:24PM Patrick Mackey said

@themadmage

I totally agree with your view. It's really hard to immerse yourself in a persistent world. Even in CO, the most immersion breaking thing ever is when I have to defuse some extremely dangerous bomb or something, then when I get there I have to wait for the bomb to respawn because someone else just defused it. It makes sense if you're thinking of it in a gameplay way, but it just ruins the ability to play 'in character.' That's why most player stories are unique and have little to do with the lore.

Posted: May 14th 2010 1:20AM MewmewGrrl said

That is one of the many reasons why it's so much easier to get totally into the story of a single player game and think of it actually as a real world. You kill a boss, and he's gone. You don't go to kill a boss that's been killed thousands of times already and just keeps re-appearing. You don't go by and see that boss you killed standing there again, still doing the same bad things that brought you to have to kill him.

The other thing is it's super hard to stay in character unless the entire population around you is also in character. The "role playing preferred" servers just do not cut it, there are very few on them actually roleplaying, and the lack of set enforced role play rules mean that they don't really have to.

I've found a few role play enforced games, a few of them are text MUDs, and one of them is graphical but an Ultima Online sort of style. They are really interesting and different I admit. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's a nice change of gameplay to actually really role play once and a while. It's so easy for someone who doesn't want to roleplay to come and spoil the experience, but these few games I found have enforced rules that people have to follow or find themselves gone.

I think it could be done in a newer game too. There are enough people who can be trusted (believe it or not) to be player enforcers of the role playing law for a real role playing server in a game.

Posted: May 14th 2010 8:51AM Arcadian said

And LOL at a significant nerf to a core gaming mechanic generating a whole 13 pages of outrage...does anyone still play this disgrace anymore?

Posted: May 14th 2010 9:49AM (Unverified) said

An interesting but bizarre article for this particular game, there is surely no gameworld you can name (certainly none in my experience) that is more actively destructive or obstructive to immersion and involvement in the theme, no game yet released whereby the lore is so utterly dispensible and irrelevent to your experience....the avatar customisations might be superb, but every other aspect of the game works to defeat any resonace for every choice, every style, every nuace you might attempt to bring to your creation consequently rendering the whole theme remote and trivial. I know people do rp well here but that is in the face of the most dreadfull and unhelpful gameworld in all creation, a dreadful mess made by folks who really dont seem to have any interest or understanding of the theme its based upon imo.

Posted: May 14th 2010 6:14PM (Unverified) said

From the recent Ask Cryptic:

"Khristen: What are your upcoming / current plans for non-combat aspects of the game, including more support for role-players and supergroups? Essentially, is there anything coming to give us more to do to interact with others that isn't combat related?
Silverspar: When can we expect new emotes and those that aren't fully Star Trek related to be ported over to Champions for player user?

A: poz: There are some supergroup features which are coming down the pipe (too early for an ETA) including an event calendar and a search/recruitment tool. Also, there are also more emotes on the way."

Of all the features to work on implementing, I'm really disappointed that this is how they've decided to move forward. The emotes, which already exist in the game-engine, should take all of ten minutes to enable for players, and the other two features are probably the least demanded in the entire game... with no time-frame on how soon we can expect any of them. *sigh*

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014