Posted: May 12th 2010 10:34AM Atnor said

Thanks Beau. Vanguard is/was a great game, and I'm always glad to see it get some mention. I've used several of those resources myself.

The Vanguard community was always very top-notch. I've played, for various time periods, most every MMO out there, and I've always been impressed by the level of helpfulness and dedication of VG players.

It truly is a shame how SOE management ended up treating what could have been a standout top-shelf game, instead of making it the huge missed opportunity I think it is. There's a special dark part of my heart reserved for those guys. :)

Despite being left to whither on the vine, the developers and players have truly given their all for a wonderful, ambitious game. I tip my hat to their dedication.

Posted: May 12th 2010 6:06PM Pitt said

Vanguard is like Eve, i wanted to like them but in the end i just fall asleep.

Battle of the immortals is my newest love, It's is a game other MMO's should take thier lessons from. Sure you may not be able to look at the sky, but i would trade that anyday for the depth and metagame that every AAA MMO should have from the beginning.

Posted: May 12th 2010 10:52AM Wisdomandlore said

I'm giving the trial a chance now. The graphics are so-so, the animations are dull, and there a few quirks (enemies keep attacking you for a few seconds after they're dead), but it has a certain charm to it. Plus the healing classes are more imaginative than any other MMO I've tried. I'm not sure if I'll stick with it, but the game isn't as bad or as empty as I had heard.

Posted: May 12th 2010 1:51PM (Unverified) said

The graphics on the Isle of Dawn (the trial isle) aren't very well presented, as many of the games aspects were basically dumbed down so it would all fit into one chunk. The animations are realistic in my opinion, something that is very refreshing from all of the spinning jump kick aerial acrobatics of current games.

I would recommend checking out the full game, it only costs a subscription fee and it would give you a much better idea of how the game is.

Posted: May 12th 2010 11:16AM bate said

Truly a missed opportunity indeed. This is the the real "EQ2" in my book.

The lack of funding, and subsequently rushed release gave it no real chance of success however. To many bugs and imbalances, and lack of resources to fix these things at a an acceptable rate, killed the population. I've tried coming back many times, but the game is just to empty now.. (I only played on pvp servers.)

RIP Vanguard. May the guys at Sigil be given another chance.

Posted: May 12th 2010 12:22PM Kifix said

Best PvE MMO i've played.

The world is huge and beautiful, the craft is the best ever, a real game inside the game. Diplomacy is never seen anywhere else. There are tons of dungeons, quests, races with their starting zones...

Only PvP and RvR are missing ^^

Posted: May 12th 2010 1:18PM Lateris said

I think people should give this game a second chance.

Posted: May 12th 2010 3:09PM Bhagpuss said

I love Vanguard. If only it had been better-managed it would have been a solid hit. The 500k subscribers that Brad claimed were all he wanted was an entirely reasonable and achievable goal.

The game now is an absolute joy, but it remains a largely undiscovered one. It also requires a much greater level of attention and thought to play than most new MMOs require, which I think might be almost as offputting to current MMO players as the bugs were to the people who abandoned it years ago.

I'll be playing it as long as they keep even one server up, and if it ever comes to the time when SoE can't justify even that, then I just hope there's some way the beautiful world can be preserved somehow, even if it's just for offline play. It really is too exquisite a creation just to throw on the scrapheap.

Posted: May 12th 2010 4:42PM (Unverified) said

I just wanted to say bravo and thank you for highlighting all the hard work being done to fix Vanguard up right now.

We've seen a massive improvement in the game, especially since we have so many returning & new players the last few weeks (mmorpg.com's players have something to do with that. *cough* After Hours *cough*).

It's just so nice to see the game alive and thriving decently. It's a great game, its a shame it hasn't been better maintained, but at least we the players, can keep on playing!

Hopefully with articles like this one, it will make people rethink their decision to stay away, and make them think about re-trialing. :)

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM