Posted: May 11th 2010 12:15PM (Unverified) said

Per my response above, watching 20 PKs simultaneously appear in a crowded hunting area and watching them proceed to slaughter every player there was absolutely epic. To this day I remember feeling honored on some level that I had gotten a chance to witness it. The precision of the attack and the sheer number of players they took out completely eliminated any sense of frustration at the loss of my items. It was a price well worth it for me.

Posted: May 11th 2010 12:35PM Loki1 said

That picture almost suffocated me with a flashwave of memories.

Posted: May 11th 2010 12:42PM Loki1 said

Uo was special because it was a virtual with multi-layered activities.

Ultima Online was a persistant world with many sub-worlds inside it.

Just like real life, every facet(professions, careers, knowledges, sports) is sub-world.

That's what MMO's are, at least the sandbox sub-genre.

Posted: May 11th 2010 12:45PM Scopique said

Man, I still remember my UO days... B.J. got it right: no other game makes you feel like you're living in the world. I remember a PK who was trying to get us to attack by standing in the doorway to Felucia (or Trammel? I get confuse din my old age) in the Vesper cemetary when we wanted to pass...I remember RPing with a random stranger in the streets of Brit...I remember passing by as a player-run wedding was happening on the shores of a small lake...I remember scouting for housing locations, setting up the first house, joining my first guild ever...good times.

Unfortunately, I tried UO again a few months ago, with the new client and every update they've applied, and it was not a pleasant experience. They now have quests, which they never did back in the day. One of them was to raise my sword skill to a certain level. "No problem!" I thought, and went out to kill some zombies...Several of MY deaths later, my skill had only been raised by a fraction of a point...and I had maybe 20.0 more points to go until I completed the requirements.

While I DON'T remember UO being that hardcore, I guess we had nothing to compare it to. Plus, without being FORCED (through quests) to level like that, we probably didn't CARE how long it took to raise those stats.

Posted: May 12th 2010 10:32AM (Unverified) said

That's the feeling I still look for in MMOs, too, Scopique. I, too, have gone back to the game a few times and each time, I found the changes that had been made took even more of what I loved from the game. I haven't been able to bring myself to try Stygian Abyss or Kingdom Reborn.

I have a strong hope that The Old Republic will help make a "world" for players to live in given their focus on narrative.

Posted: May 11th 2010 1:55PM Krazed said

I have fond memories of UO, having started playing it on release day. Perhaps the choice to start with UO was purely circumstantial, but I would have much rather seen Meridian 59 be the beginning for a series like this. In my experience people remember the first MMO they played with the fondest of memories, so I have a soft spot for Meridian 59.

Posted: May 11th 2010 7:10PM Sethisto said

Trammel VS Classic always pops up ;p

It really did ruin the game some. Trammel killed pvp.

But they did fix it somewhat with the factions system. I had a blast running around stealing sigil stones on my thief, then swapping to my mage/tamer and parabinding people that tried to get it back. I went through 5 dragons a day. They weren't exactly durable.

Ultima even had an awesome spell variety. You don't get any of those crazy combos in the newer mmos, just DPS or heals.

Then there was my blue crystal staff collection in my house. I had an entire room filled with them. It looked amazing.

Posted: May 11th 2010 4:49PM (Unverified) said

UO was my first MMO and it is and always will be my fondest. I never knew a game could be like this. I remember spending days in a forrest chopping wood and raising your strength. From this wood you could make your own furniture to furnish your house or castle. You could employ vendors to sell reagents or your own crafted items. Sadly no ever game has come to close to the freedom this game gave you. Best thing about it was the PK element and loosing all items if you died in game. You would run back as quick as you can to make sure you had not been looted.

Some games came close after this in particular Asherons Call and Dark Ages of Camelot for its RvR.

Posted: May 11th 2010 6:11PM relgoth said

Surprised no one has talked about doing champion spawns, though that was later in the games cycle. I played UO for 4 years and it was my first mmo. And i think to this date probably the best mmo ive ever played before they ruined it (Age of shadows),

The champ spawn scene was my favorite part because it was basically guild on guild warfare in a world setting. You never knew if someone was spying on you while the guild completed the spawn, or if it would be scouted and 3 guilds would show up at once to take the spawn from ya. Defending those spawns and attacking them was the best type of pvp that has ever existed in any mmo.

Also there was a dark side to the game, most people involved in the pvp scene macroed their characters to max skills, it was a common practice and no one that i knew of was punished for it as long as they did it in a secluded location. It would take maybe 2-3 days to make a character 7x gm or whatever you wanted which made it easier for pvpers to switch to utility characters.

Posted: May 11th 2010 8:45PM (Unverified) said

totally Agree on Age of Shadows, it definitely ruined the game (for me) and changed the very nature of it, turning it away from skill based to item based. Trammel annoyed me to a much lesser extent as I was in a guild with a huge war list, so the lack of open combat didn't change my playstyle very much. Actually many players just continued to play UO as it was before after the Trammel release. But AoS changed the game for everyone.

Posted: May 12th 2010 1:59AM (Unverified) said

best game ever made
i play on Hybrid
Free shard, largest out there, and it is like the old days, No trammel....

i play all the time it is addicting!

Posted: May 12th 2010 5:19PM (Unverified) said

I've tried some free shards before, and even the best of them couldn't keep my attention the way OSI shards did. There was always something lacking, even if the shard had more people on it at any given time than Lake Superior ever did in Felucca. I wish I had some justification for it, but the free servers I tried never gave me the sense of accomplishment with characters and playing that live servers did.

Posted: May 12th 2010 6:25PM (Unverified) said

come join me on http://www.uogamers.com/ . come and play uo the way you remember it totally FREE!

UOGamers: Hybrid is set in what OSI players will remember as the Publish 15/16 era of Ultima Online. For Hybrid we went back to the basics of what made Ultima Online such an exciting game and added in some of the best ideas which came in later publishes as well as some of the standout items from earlier times in Ultima Online This blockbuster combination resulted in an unprecedented game play style providing any kind of player a home here.

The overall goal for Hybrid is to create an environment that caters to every play style and allows even the casual gamer to enjoy Ultima Online the way it "used to be". As a result you'll find skill gain is much faster here than what you're accustomed to on the original shards. PvP is balanced and standard gaming systems like Factions have been added. You will also find unique systems which add to our rich game play such as our Texas Hold'em Poker which allows you to play poker with your friends in Ultima Online, a complete dueling system with a ladder system that will allow you to compete against the best in the world for bragging rights (with a rule set customized by you, to your specifications) and original daily events by our professional staff.

Combining world class programming with enterprise grade hardware and a best of breed staff we have created a shard like none other. Our track record of ten years speaks to the longevity of the server with a daily average online count of over one thousand players and an all time peak of nearly eight thousand players online it solidifies our position as the top free shard gaming experience in the world.

Posted: May 12th 2010 6:35PM (Unverified) said

UOG Hybrid ftw!

After original old school UO, Hybrid is the best thing I've been able to find to emulate all the old school stuff I knew and loved.

If you play UO, miss UO, or just want to get back to the way things used to be, give Hybrid a shot!

Posted: May 13th 2010 12:25PM (Unverified) said

Worst thing they ever changed about UO:
Removing the Treasure chest main menu. Such wonder and excitement...

What hooked me and still gives me a shiver is the screenshot of the farm/market and the cows etc on the back of the original retail box. The thought that it was a whole other world that carried on by itself and that you can be a part of just grabbed me. I found it: http://www.coolinfo.com/gameinfo/reviews/ultimaonline/images/market1.jpg