Posted: May 10th 2010 5:59PM Meagen said

"Horizontal gameplay is a term that's been thrown around a lot lately, referring to ever expanding content that doesn't rely entirely on leveling."

That... is not the first thing that comes to mind when I read "roleplaying horizontally".

Posted: May 10th 2010 5:59PM Meagen said

Posted: May 12th 2010 5:09PM (Unverified) said

Vertical bunnies are friends. Horizontal bunnies are lovers.
I just told a guy today who watched me and an even leveled player go at it in combat in AOC; "noble of you not to jump in like a cur". Rp is fun in the right circumstances, no doubt. Immersion is lacking in most mmos nowadays.

Posted: May 10th 2010 8:42PM Saker said

Agree immersion is lacking, which is sad, because it makes the games so much more enjoyable.

Posted: May 10th 2010 7:30PM GRT said

Best post I've read on Massively in a while.

Posted: May 10th 2010 10:34PM jeremys said

Thank you very much!

Posted: May 10th 2010 8:41PM (Unverified) said

ROM is one of the games Ive been thinking about getting into.

Extra minigames and such that arent directly tied into with leveling,gear getting but might give those anyway as well as being just plain fun to play is one of the things missing in alot of MMO`s nowadays.

This Op really has me swayed and thinking of starting a new character this weekend.

Posted: May 10th 2010 10:33PM Saylah said

I enjoyed the variety in ROM too. I spent many days just piddling around not doing anything that advanced my actual level and had a good time.

Posted: May 10th 2010 9:18PM TheGreatMachine said

This is about sex, right?

Posted: May 11th 2010 12:37PM (Unverified) said

I also remember fondly my childhood days playing pen & paper RPG's. True enough that leveling was less of a concern, mostly though because there was no "end" to leveling - no cap, no endgame. Without a required stopping point we were more interested in exploring and treasure hunting.

Modern MMORPG's free up players from all the calculations, dice rolling and maintenance processes which is a good thing imho. I just wish there was more of an emphasis on exploration, more in-game guidance (how many times do I have to log out to look something up on a web site... can't this stuff be in the game?) and open ended leveling with perhaps level caps on important content.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM