Posted: May 9th 2010 11:02AM Seffrid said

• 1 heart
I can see offline levelling as a means of getting alts through the game quicker, but I can't in all honesty see any credible reason for not requiring someone to play through the whole game once before that option becomes available to them. The notion that it frees you up to go hop-skip-jumping in a tavern because it is, after all, a role-playing game is frankly laughable.

I can also see it as a useful way of getting through what in any MMO are traditionally the grind levels as you approach the level cap, but the answer to that is to even out the levelling process better than most MMO's do at the moment so that you don't suddenly hit a brick wall as you approach the endgame. Most games level you ridiculously quickly for the first 10 levels and ridiculously slowly for the last 10 levels and offline levelling simply doesn't address that other than to enable you to cop out of the last 10 levels completely.

All this system will create is a bunch of players who haven't seen levels 70-80 and complain that there's nothing to do when they hit 80 quicker than they would otherwise have done.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:03AM Hockster said

What's funny, sort of, is that AoC is probably the least grindy MMO in existence. A player can easily hit level 80 purely by doing the simple progression quests. If that's not freeing them up to, you know, PLAY, what is? Granted that AoC has probably the simplest classes to learn, there's very little skill required for any of them, I'd still rather group with a person that has a basic understanding of how their character should work as opposed to someone that just leveled their toon while watching TV.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:05AM Myria said

• 1 heart
Did you manage to fit enough straw men and absurd ad hominems in there?

Oh, and references to Eve?

"Methinks the folks that have a problem with Funcom's offline leveling have never spent any time with EVE Online."

Excuse me? People who don't agree with you haven't spent enough time playing Eve? Ummm, did it ever occur to you that maybe they *have* spent time in Eve and *that's* why they don't like offline advancement systems?

Beyond that, no one in their right mind plays AoC because they want a game like Eve, pretty much quite the opposite. In fact you'd think people who want a game like Eve would be playing Eve, since it's just like Eve, but instead a rather noisy contingent of them goes to every bloody MMO on the planet and screams about how it MUST be like Eve and anyone who disagrees is a Bad Person(tm). It's a quite tiresome crusade that causes one to wonder if they have to go to every other MMO because their MMO religion just isn't the nirvana they claim and want it to be.

"The only shame is the shortsightedness with which the mechanic has been received in some quarters"

Yes, let's not actually deal with the arguments on both sides, not when it's easier to sling insults and mindless ad hominems.

Personally I don't really care about offline leveling. I was a bit curious about what that window at the character screen was when I came back, and was a little surprised to read about it. While I think it's kinda a dumb thing to add to the game (to put it mildly) it's not really going to influence my decision over whether to stay or leave again in a month or three. It's just too trivial a matter next to other issues I've had with the game in the past.

However it would be interesting to see an adult discussion of the pros and cons of such a system. You know, something the exact opposite of the mentally deficient infantile self-serving drivel you've regurgitated here?

Posted: May 9th 2010 12:03PM (Unverified) said

I think this statement sums up his OPINION very well...

"I grind when I'm away from my computer, it's called a successful career, and when I get home after a hard day, the last thing I want to do is stare at an XP bar. I understand that some people do, and that's fine, I'm not advocating the removal of that option, but there's nothing wrong with throwing a bone to those of us who like to tell stories, explore, trade, craft, or whatever else catches our in-game fancy."

For the life of me, I cannot understand why things that are completely optional in MMO's and games in general induce so much rage in certain folks. Anyone have a theory?

Posted: May 11th 2010 3:40AM CaseyTheBrash said

He was on the soap box more often than not. Was a distraction, felt like I was reading a thread on a forum.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:41AM Wisdomandlore said

I can see how offline leveling works in EVE, because EVE isn't about grinding. But when you take the grind out of a themepark game, what's left?

Posted: May 14th 2010 1:45PM (Unverified) said

Social interaction, roleplay, adventuring for fun rather than to crawl toward the next ding, less disparity between groups/friends that have different amounts of time to play....

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:17AM Valdin said

• 1 heart
What a load of drivel.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:18AM Alex Oglitchkin said

Pros:
1. Slow Exp gain while online
2. More Free Time
3. Less likely to bot
4. Less likely to pay for a leveling service

Cons:
1. Unfamiliar with playing the game
2. Undergeared for your level

But as the article says leveling offline is very slow so I don't think it would be like being mid level and in 1 day off just being offline you are another level. I hope they include an option to turn this feature off as some people might not want this offline leveling.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:30AM Alex Oglitchkin said

Stupid inability to edit posts....

Pro:
1.) Slow Exp gain while offline (fixed)

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:53AM ZachDude said

Thats the thing, its there, but you don't HAVE to use it. You can let them build up. Eventually you might break down and use them on an alt. But as for me, see my post below.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:39AM Valentina said

Yeah I think it would take you something like 9+ months to get to the max level by offline leveling alone. You only get 1 level every 4 days, and you must be an active subscriber.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:56AM (Unverified) said

320 days or approximately 10 2/3 months

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:56AM (Unverified) said

and I think you can only apply the levels to characters lvl 30 or above

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:58AM (Unverified) said

so 200 days after reaching level 30 or apptrox 6 2/3 months after lvl 30

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:59AM (Unverified) said

almost forgot-
Deadalon - it's you and your crappy computer

Posted: May 9th 2010 12:46PM Lateris said

I have chosen to by pass the offline leveling system because I enjoy the PvE content. I am just weird.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:46AM (Unverified) said

Besides that the offline leveling is extremely slow, many people forget to realise people want to play a game. Sure you can get a character to 30, wait more than six months and then spend all of your offline levels to 80. But why would anybody? They're practically missing out on half of the game.

The argument that people won't know how to play their class because they miss out on the last 10 levels is a little bizarre too if you ask me. If you just spent 70 levels with that class, the last 10 levels won't change all that much.

Personally I won't use this feature much as I love leveling, but there's really not much wrong with it.

Posted: May 10th 2010 1:16PM (Unverified) said

I don't play AoC but i have played both Eve and Wow
and in Wow i have now 5+ lv80:s now i whould welcome the offline leveling as i often start a new character project play for a few leveles then move on to the next for awhile a few days then switch class so i don't get boored. anyway with offline leveling i whould level not only faster as i whould get offline time on my alts but i whould actualy gain alot from it.

and Yes i whould love to see how Secret World will turn out.

Posted: May 9th 2010 11:53AM ZachDude said

This has come up many times, but I'll say this from my view again.

I work a lot, and I want to be able to play/raid with my guild mates, this system is a godsend to me. It will lower the barrier to getting to the point that I can play with them. It makes so much sense, I wouldn't be surprised if you see more games doing something like this in the near future.

@Jef Great write up, looking forward to the next as always.