Posted: May 8th 2010 11:58PM (Unverified) said

"Blue Mars wants to be a platform for other things. It doesn't really want to be a place of community, but a place where developers come into the world and create nice games. As a result, it is struggling with relevance in spite of its features."

I believe Marianne is speaking from the early press about Blue Mars, and not the reality of how it is developing now. First of all, it is not done yet, so to say it is "struggling" is premature, since may of it's feature are not even implemented yet. When it gets out of beta around the end of the year will be the time to assess how it is doing. For now you have a few users trying it out, and a bunch of developers starting to make content for it.

And what we are building so far is pretty much the same stuff you see in Second Life: homes, shops, a nightclub, just with way better graphics and lots more elbow room from the larger terrain. This is not a surprise, because most of the early developers *are from Second Life*.

As far as community, we have a pretty nice, though small, one going among the early developers and users. Marianne mentions community involvement and listening. There, Blue Mars is doing a great job, from my personal experience. All four of their community staff (Glenn, Tiffany, Josie and Liza) are active in-world, and the technical staff like the programmers are very active in the forums and Q&A sessions, answering questions and taking our suggestions.

What is stopping Blue Mars from really taking off is not anything they are doing wrong, it's just that it is not finished yet. About half the needed features for a viable virtual world are not there yet, and we cannot expect the average users to spend a lot of time there until they are.

Posted: May 9th 2010 12:45AM (Unverified) said

Sigh ----- RESPECT! ----- I am so tired of the arbitrary, disinterested Linden Gods!
I am a member of a/the SL community. I help pay the bills. Show a little respect for something other than corporate profit.

Posted: May 9th 2010 1:44PM (Unverified) said

Wonderful article, thanks so much. I am currently working and playing in both SL and Blue Mars - and would agree with everything said here.
My focus is on community building in both worlds, and I am privileged to work with some amazing builders and wonderful people in both worlds. While I will admit to a good amount of disenchantment with how the Lab is attempting to repurpose SL for *something* (who can tell what), I am equally enchanted with the responsive, enthusiastic and helpful folks who are creating Blue Mars. It is still very much in Beta, but is evolving in very exciting ways every month. Community is really about people, and I am certain that our communities will exist so long as we have a way to gather and something to do once we get there.
I am most eager to see what virtual worlds continue to develop into in the coming years!

Posted: May 9th 2010 7:39PM (Unverified) said

I think all six of them are really just approaching the community issue from different points of view, in the end, what they are all saying is that the operators gotta work for and not against the community of users.

Posted: May 9th 2010 7:42PM (Unverified) said

i should have written "not against nor in spite of"

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014