Posted: May 8th 2010 1:57PM dudemanjac said

Wow. That sounds awesome. I really feel I missed out now. Except then I would have the same feeling of loss I have from when I jumped into E&B too late. I kinda want to get on the E&B emulator, but I don't know if I have the time for it right now, And I'd hatet ogo through the trouble and find out i'm the only one there.

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:20PM (Unverified) said

@Dude - there are hundreds of people on the E&B emulator stress test server. Not accounts. Actual people ;) A lot of the questing is still unfinished, and there's bugs, but it works well enough to have some fun.

Posted: May 8th 2010 10:18AM Dumac said

Tabula Rasa and other closed MMO games. Mostly because, well, what else are companies going to do with these games anyway?

Posted: May 8th 2010 12:52PM whateveryousay said

Good point. If the game is lost, at least releasing the code could benefit future game developers by allowing them to see and tinker with the remains of a fallen world.

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:20PM (Unverified) said

Suppress them so they can keep you buying their newest suckage. Whether or not you're having fun is immaterial, they can't survive if you don't buy a new game every year or so :(

Posted: May 8th 2010 10:18AM (Unverified) said

You don't need the source to simply run a private server.

It's only required if you want to change the game or find out how does it work inside, both from technical point, as well as from game rules - exact attack/crafting formulas, etc.

I'd like to see sources of Lineage II. Whilst I stopped playing it long ago and am unlikely to ever come back, I think it still has the capacity for largest battles with many hundreds of players.

Also, EVE as it's a marvel, keeping everything in a huge single world.

Posted: May 8th 2010 10:24AM DaBruuzer said

Would have to go with Earth & Beyond in this case. Some dedicated fans have been reworking it for years as it is, but if the code was open, it would be done by now. http://www.enb-emulator.com/

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:02AM Lateris said

1.) Star Wars Galaxies
2.) Tabula Rasa
3.) Earth and Beyond - my 1st MMO"RPG".
4.) Vanguard

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:08AM (Unverified) said

Swg pre nge

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:14AM elocke said

FFXI - Controls can be messed with, and soloing can be made an option so I can see ALL of the awesomeness in the game that you can't because you need tons of other people on at the same time, etc.(Love the game, but I HATE not being able to at least solo level like I can in modern MMOs)

SWG pre CU.

Vanguard

Asheron's Call 2 so I can see what the fuss is all about.

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:35AM Rayko said

Matrix Online

Posted: May 8th 2010 11:51AM Tristik said

~~
The Star Wars pre-NGE code. Throw a bone to those guys that have been working on reverse engineering the game code for the last 5-ish years.

Although Tabula would be good too. I think the game had a good concept, it just wasn't realized and implemented well enough.
~~

Posted: May 8th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

Dragon Age has some great collaborative tools. I would like to see that game go multiplayer in a manner similar to Neverwinter Nights.

The problem with Ryzom is that it's an old game that was brought back from the dead. I'm not sure how likely players will go to it, no matter how good the player created content is. NWN basically still runs the same thing, although not entirely open source.

I like that they are doing it though. They can only make the game better.

Posted: May 8th 2010 1:09PM jpkustra said

Asheron's Call 2
Matrix Online
Tabula Rasa

I used to love playing Matrix online when they had the live radio broadcast in game. That was totally sweet!

Posted: May 8th 2010 1:26PM (Unverified) said

Dark and Light. the engine is good and the game still looks great after all this time. sadly its bogged down in legal battles and I can't see it ever being made open source :/

Posted: May 8th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

I'd like to see Champions Online to go open source.
That and DDO would be great for community content, and neither require massive populations (you could do with just an mission/quest/instance for 5-10 people heck) which would make it easy to run on pretty much any hardware. And then you'd have all the possible community created powers and items and models created for CO - I know I'd pay an active subscription just to get that kind of customization.

Posted: May 8th 2010 3:11PM drunkenpandaren said

Any 'dead' mmo would fit the bill really.

Posted: May 8th 2010 4:00PM Seffrid said

EQ2.

So I could add the code "marketplace=0", remove most of the content of the last 2 years, and add in the best of the players' own content in line with what most people want rather than what successive producers since Scott Hartsman thought they wanted.

Posted: May 8th 2010 4:08PM Seffrid said

EDIT: What I should have said at the end of my last post was:-

"rather than what successive producers after Scott Hartsman thought those who weren't interested in the game anyway wanted."

Posted: May 8th 2010 6:42PM MrsAngelD said

Guild Wars, that game could be so much more than it is right now...