Posted: May 6th 2010 11:41AM Miffy said

Problem I have with Warhammer games is the fail to create a story or an interesting world I want to play it. I was hoping Warhammer Online would finally create this, but no it was a generic boring and barren world to be in.

I don't know how to read this statement because it was probably taken out of context. However is this bad news? You need to make a big investment to create a worthwhile MMO these days..

We'll see but if it is anything like the other Warhammer games, then I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Posted: May 6th 2010 11:54AM (Unverified) said

What they're saying is they have expeirenced good game design people that he thinks can turn out a great game for less money and as nobody has really tried this yet we will have to see.

You dont like the warhammer 40K universe as you dont think its compelling?

Hvae to disagree with you there as Warhammer40k dawn of war and its expansions drew me in to play it for 4 years and even got me interested in lore and backstory.

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:01PM (Unverified) said

Warhammer 40k has some great story behind it. If they are smart they would get Dan Abnett to write up some arcs for quests and stuff.

He's right though you don't need a million subscribers, look at games like Eve or EQ2, I highly doubt they have a million subs.

Posted: May 6th 2010 3:06PM (Unverified) said

What you are failing to realize, Venekor, is that the Warhammer Fantasy MMO (Warhammer Online) was made by Mythic, and the Warhammer 40k MMO is being done by THQ. THQ/Relic has already done a great job with the Dawn of War series.

Both the Warhammer universe is deep and interesting, but, unfortunately for fans of the Fantasy genre, Mythic failed to deliver. What THQ is saying is they aren't aiming to be the next "WoW-Killer" (which Warhammer Online had been dubbed before its launch), they just want their slice of the pie.

Posted: May 6th 2010 11:53AM MrCassian said

Good for them! They are making the game how they feel it should be, which I think a lot of studios lose sight of once the initial idea is thrown out there. Given the increased popularity of Warhammer 40k over the last six years thanks to Dawn of War, I could see 40k Online becoming way more popular than its older cousin Warhammer Online.

Posted: May 6th 2010 11:57AM (Unverified) said

no worries we got THQ working on this great game. they did really well with dawn of war and as long as u don't let any of morons from that fail of warhammer online near the project i am sure we will be fine. i wonder how all the races will work and how many side there will be i hope it had tons of side make it really fun game.

Posted: May 6th 2010 2:37PM (Unverified) said

Honestly with THQ and Vigil doing this game as opposed to the giant company-o-fail Mythic has become. I don't see it going badly imo, at least not to me personally. As for the sides I really do hope they use more than two, it's a constant war between all factions with alliances being created and broken. If I had to settle for less than all out total war between all factions, I wouldn't mind seeing a 3 faction game. It could allow for the alliances (in a much smaller sense, but still) to be created and broken.

This is game is number one on my list at the moment.

Posted: May 6th 2010 3:48PM Crode said

THQ did not own Relic back when they made DoW.

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:12PM Valdur said

If they succeed in bringing to life the Warhammer 40K universe as it is meant to be and not make a generic MMO they will have my money for a long time.

I would rather play an MMO which has a targeted audience than one with mass appeal "jack of all Trade".

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:18PM (Unverified) said

I'm glad someone is learning. Aim small, and work from there.

Warhammer 40K is probably one of the best IP's ever created. Blizzard "borrowed" from it for a reason, it's amazing. I agree Dan Abnett and also Ben Counter should write some story archs. Dan just wrote the script for the 40k movie that is suppose to be in "pre-production".

Posted: May 8th 2010 2:21PM (Unverified) said

Also don't forget.. Since you mentioned blizzard.. One of warhammer 40k's original designers, a nce fella named Andy Chambers now works for blizzard on th Starcraft 2 team.. Just some food for thought.

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:56PM Psychotic Storm said

True and since I blame all the impossibly stupid changes in 40k's background to him I fear at what SC2 will look like.

anyway, 40k, nice background, as long as you really don't try to look at it and try to make any sort of sense.

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:23PM Rich said

That and Warcraft was originally supposed to be a Warhammer Fantasy game until there was some issue. Blizz just too the parts they had and created the juggernaut they have now.

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:49PM ScottishViking said

Cool, I had no idea that Andy Chambers had moved to Blizzard.

Posted: May 7th 2010 1:26AM (Unverified) said

Sandy Mitchell. The game needs more Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium.

Posted: May 6th 2010 12:47PM (Unverified) said

The only thing I can ask the developers to keep in mind is this; not everyone plays Space Marines.

Aside from that, this is and will be the MMO I've ben hoping for since I started playing MMO's almost seven years ago. I've always imagined an open universe where you can board cruisers to go from planet to planet and drop down with your guild or party into a mass pvp battle taking place.

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:08PM Damn Dirty Ape said

I don't really envy them. No matter what they do a large portion of the 40k fanbase is going to be pissed. If they try to cram even a majority of the warhammer races in there as playable then the game will be unfocused and fail. If they instead focus on a few major races (for instance, elves, orks, and space marines) then all the fans of the other armies will be pissed.

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:21PM nearly nil said

THQ, if you are reading this, please think squad and armylist-based MMO and not individual avatars. 40k has no place for individuals. Free thinking individuals are heretics that will be hunted by the Inquisition...

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:30PM Rich said

There is plenty of room for individuals in the 40k universe, even among the Imperium. There are alot of stories of single people doing great things, for good or ill. The table top game was full of heroes who were different than the rank and file of their kind.

That being said, I hope it is more squad based because its a rarity that you see just a single Orc Nob or Space Marine away from others. I do have concerns how they can pull this off, but I'll be playing it regardless.

Posted: May 6th 2010 1:38PM postman said

yeah they aren't reading it so you will have to wait until they open up forums before you start any crazed pre-launch armchair developer petitions about game mechanics