Posted: May 5th 2010 12:58PM Dblade said

I think it's a good move.

"Depth" and "Content" in other games are a joke. Usually they just pile up instance grinds and make a long leveling curve, and that doesn't really add anything to the gameplay. It's a lot of unneccesary padding that passes for an illusion of gameplay, and the trend I think has been to move away from that.

CO may not be to everyone's taste, but the engine itself is pretty sound compared to something like Fallen Earth, or even EVE with it's recent lag troubles. I'd rather see more casual MMOs delivered like this than play yet another grindfest capped with endless nesting endgame instances.

Posted: May 5th 2010 3:06PM Daverator said

I think the only problem with this philosophy, is that most MMO players WANT a new game to stay in. Once Cryptic has developed a reputation as a company that makes disposable MMOs, no one will bother, no matter how big the name is (except when Twilight: The MMO comes out, since I doubt the 8-12 year old girls crowd follows MMO devs very close).

People will give companies second chances, but after releasing 2 poor releases, and seemingly little done to really correct them. I think almost everyone will have Given up on the name. I won't be surprised if the next MMO magically loses the cryptic name so that some people will think atari made an MMO, (and not studio named cryptic, owned by a publisher that purchased the brand Atari).

The sad thing? Is both Champions and STO offers some aspects that are really and truly rare if not unique in MMOs. Champions offers an almost infinitely flexible character creator, both and form and substance, as your appearance and powers are extremely customizable. And STO offers an interesting aspect in that you advance your self, your ship, and your crew

Posted: May 5th 2010 5:20PM Its Utakata stupid said

It sounds like from what Brian! is saying, Cryptic wants to establish itself as the Roger Corman of the subscription based MMO industry...

...that is, quantity over quality.

Posted: May 9th 2010 5:08PM Ryukan said

Damn, Cyptic...me thinks you need to slow down and focus on the MMO's you already have out that need attention. I wager it will be another half-ass game made by them the difference this time is that I won't buy it to try it and then find it to be distasteful like STO.

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:37PM (Unverified) said

Maybe they should make their other two failboats suck less before trying to rip off more customers?

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:40PM Randomessa said

Whether or not you enjoy Cryptic's previous offerings (and I have), I just don't think I can put my support behind this model of pushing MMOs out as quickly as possible like this. I lay the blame and responsibility solely at Atari's feet, and I think it will end badly for Cryptic, who takes it on the chin every time one of their games only performs "so-so".

What a shame.

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:33PM Snichy said

Can I have a go of your crystal ball please? Who says it is being rushed out quickly, he even says they are some ways off launch so how does anyone know it will be rushed!

Posted: May 5th 2010 4:20PM Stravoman said

It is not unreasonable to judge a person or company's future performance from their past performance. Does that mean the game will certainly be a rushed flop? No of course not, but the outlook isn't very good.

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:46PM MassivelyJames said

Yay, another game for Bill to screw up!

I can't believe he was actually employable after Hellgate London....

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:51PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I heard this new game takes place in a park littered with cherry blossoms. I wonder what they are going to call it...

Posted: May 5th 2010 12:52PM Nef said

I'll reserve my judgment of the game for when we actually have something to go on. They've screwed up a lot in the past, but that doesn't mean this game is *going* to suck -- it just has a higher chance of it than average. Miracles can happen. (They're probably sacrificing interns in hopes of one this very minute.)

By the way, does the image with this article mean anything?

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

It was concept art for an MMO they 'were' going to do. They are working on a third mmo, but I think the image isn't from that mmo, just an old concept pic from an mmo that is no longer going to be worked on.

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:20PM Danieros said

I believe it's one of the random concept arts on their website.

Regarding expectations, I think it's impossible not to be biased considering their two earlier releases, it's pretty much a 100% lack of creativity and depth in their games, which pretty much points to the box sale focus development rather than a long term MMO (well, you have the lifetime subscriptions, but they are pretty much like a scam considering what I said before).

But you're right, there might be a miracle, but "beta testing" their new MMO won't be anywhere close to my highest priority when it comes (especially considering future releases like FFXIV/Tera/Rift/GW2). Word of mouth in that case will slowly overcome the horrible reputation they have built for themselves.

I don't really think Cryptic will change, considering they are pumping out MMOs with a 2 year development cycle for 500k+ box sales and a considerable amount of lifetime subscriptions, and featuring an item mall, it does sound like epic success in a profiteering point of view. They just need to make sure it gets the right amount of overhype and a good IP, what they seem to have accomplished well in this PR interview.

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:07PM (Unverified) said

Horray another massively instanced shallow mmo.

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

If it’s a NWN mmo I’m gunna be pissed. They had a huge IP like Star Trek and they blew it. I don’t have faith in them to properly develop and fund a D&D mmo. Neverwinter Nights deserves to be developed by a company that’s not going to shit out a poorly designed game with no content and a bad game engine.

While they have made improvements to CO and developer/community communication has improved dramatically, I just don’t think they are capable of doing the franchise justice. I’d love to be proved wrong though.

Posted: May 5th 2010 9:08PM (Unverified) said

Dude if this is NWN I am going to be PISSED! I do not want my warm memories spoiled by Cryptic. How big a company do they have? Ignoring the.. lukewarm reception their other MMOs have gotten, do they really think they have the manpower to run 3 MMOs at once?

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:17PM aurickle said

Cryptic clearly understands that very, very few MMO's have long term retention numbers that are of any real significance. Whenever any new MMO launches there is a large number of players who are enticed to check out the shiny new kid on the block. Those players quickly blast through the content and then jump ship to return to their old favorite or to check out the next shiny new MMO. Only a relatively small percentage actually stick with the MMO with any form of loyalty.

For better or worse, Cryptic's business model seems to be to always be introducing the next shiny new MMO. They capitalize on these players as much as possible by offering things like lifetime subscriptions which can only be purchased before the game actually launches. This maximizes their quick return on the game, creating a tidy profit while also bankrolling development of the next game. This works especially well when they can use the same toolset and even reuse many assets when moving forward to the next production.

I don't expect to ever see a ground-breaking game come from this studio, or even anything that becomes a huge success. They are simply content to make the most profit from the least effort, while leaving it up to other companies to take the risk of developing interesting new systems. If those systems prove effective they'll then rip the idea off and put it in their own games. (Like how WAR's public quests made it into CO.) If the systems fail, it's another company that absorbs the loss and Cryptic knows not to bother with it.

It may be smart business, but it also contributes to the ongoing stagnation of this industry.

In short, Cryptic is the bench-sitter of the MMO world. They get into the game just often enough to still be considered on the team and win that big trophy at the end of the year, but they'll never be anything close to an MVP.

Posted: May 5th 2010 1:36PM (Unverified) said

That was a very articulate and awesome post Aurickle!

I totally agree!

The thing is this. I would give Cryptic more of a chance if they showed some
kind of restraint in they way they conduct themselves when it comes to
the quality of their games vs. business.

Just recently after Champions has been out eight months now, and they just
now got a patch out that actually lets you see the weapon at the tailor.. which
is pretty important!

It's funny, you have all these glamor shots of developers like they're rock-stars
then they act hurt when the community targets them when things don't go
right. You can't be the popular 'hey-kids-we're-cool' guy and at the same time,
say it's not your fault when things go south. (Or say you take the blame while
acting as if it isn't your fault pretending to be a martyr.)

Cryptic is so behind the ball. They release the bare bones of a game, and then
go into 'construction status' and when players request features or get vocal
with their desires (even with community manager encourgement).. The players
get told other things are priority.

Of course other things are priority!! You release a game where you can't see
your weapon at the tailor! You can't release a half-assed game, then hide
behind the excuse 'We have so much to do.' when it's your company's fault
you're behind. In the end.. the game is sub-par and mediocre and it's your fault.

Posted: May 5th 2010 2:04PM Dblade said

D-bit, it took Square-Enix 5 years to introduce a simple nomad moogle in a outlying town. CCP has yet to fix rockets despite them being useless for years in EVE. Fallen Earth has been out six months and the opening tutorial scene STILL glitches often enough to make it a common topic in the help chat channel.

It's a MMO issue, not just a Cryptic one.

Posted: May 5th 2010 2:28PM (Unverified) said

Oh! I know DBlade. It's not the fact they had that issue that's upsetting.

It was just one example out of many issues they have, but even then... the point
was they are already developing their third mmo in the period of eight months.

Take the companies you listed there. Think about the focus and dedication they
have to the mmo(s) they released and compare it to Cryptic.

Imagine how amazing CO or STO would be if resourced were actually poured
into a single MMO and making it something to be proud of, instead of just
popping out game after game for the quick buck.