Posted: May 4th 2010 8:14AM Matix said

I believe MMORPGs should reward the time and effort you put into it--leveling, getting gear, and learning and mastering your class all should be the mark as to how well you do.

IMHO twitch reflexes go against the spirit of an RPG in that the toon should have the battle reflexes of the character you're pretending to be, not the finger reflexes of someone at a keyboard and mouse or console controller.

That's NOT to say that the person controlling the character shouldn't have a role, nor that should your own brain power in terms of learning to play (which you should have done during leveling) but to make things DETERMINATIVE such that you have to be under 13 years old to have the reflexes to win a BG/Duel/or-w/e is a bridge too far.

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:26AM (Unverified) said

Learning your class and understanding how the skills work? Yes. Leveling and getting gear? No, no, no!

Whether it's twitch or strategy, when having resources determines success or failure everything else ceases to matter. You've just made it so that expending time is the critical component. There's no incentive to learn your character, or to understand the depths of the equipment system, you're rewarded best simply by pumping time into the game until you max out your level. This is a great way to get 24/7 players who don't know how to do anything but roll their number keys (assuming they even got so far as to bind them).

Designing the game so that the player can quickly (not effortlessly) pass encounters that as below their skill level is critical to getting players to actually learn their class. When you notice that other player is defeating monsters and completing quests in a fraction of the time it takes you to do so, you'll want to learn his tricks. On the other hand, if learning the depths of the equipment system saves you five minutes on an hour long encounter, you're not likely to care. The reward just isn't there.

Not to mention, it breeds RMT so players can buy their way out of the mindless time sink so they can start without the gear handicap and learn to play at the endgame. (What's the point of learning all your skill rotations at level 40 if at level 50 you get a skill that completely changes the dynamics of your class?).

-SirNiko

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:16AM (Unverified) said

The older I get, the less fond I am of twitch based games. In contrast to strategic combat systems your age has a negative effect on your ability to perform well in twitch based games. There is a reason most, if not all, professional gamers are teenagers.

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:56AM Droniac said

Eyric, do you actually believe that or is it just a general statement based out of the commonly held, erroneous, belief that everyone who is decent at a fast-paced game has to be a 13-year old?

I advise you to take a look at the competitive scenes for the most demanding competitive games in terms of reflexes and hand-eye coordination: Quake, UT and StarCraft. These scenes are dominated by people who are well into their twenties, with only a rare lone teenager amongst them. In fact, one of the current top western players in the StarCraft 2 beta is well into his thirties and I count all of two teenagers in the entire professional Quake scene.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:31AM Snichy said

After years of playing WoW et al I am looking forward to games like APB where success is based on skill and ability not time (to get gear etc).

I do agree with Matix above though as the genre of the game is paramount - you should be rewarded for the time you put into a game and your character should evolve based on its environment not just on the players skill.

Posted: May 4th 2010 8:36AM Firebreak said

I am the complete opposite, the older I get the more I like the twitch game play. I still enjoy RTS or 4x games but I am pretty much over the typical MMORPG format of auto attack and cool down timer. I really want more twitch and less 1-9 keys.

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:04AM (Unverified) said

I also find myself gravitating towards a "more action-oriented approach" to game play, as I get older. I cannot wait to play APB . . .

Posted: May 4th 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

When I was younger I had a lot more free time and so played RPGs and strategy games that involved hours upon hours of careful planning and progression. Now that I'm older, with a family, I just want an experience that quickly gets me into the action, playing with my friends. Console action games, for better or worse, tend to be ideal for this.

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:20AM Wisdomandlore said

I like a balance. Active blocking and dodging, but leave aiming up to math.

Posted: May 4th 2010 9:27AM Lobotomist said

Here is a problem. I am great fan of RPGs.

But lately (and yes I am busy working dad) i started literally falling asleep while playing non twitch RPGs and MMOs.

Its simply not challenging enough to keep my brain from falling asleep.

You can easily play WOW, LOTRO , EQ2 ... etc , half asleep. And that's the cold raw truth.

So twitch or (non challenging) strategy ?

I choose Twitch

Posted: May 4th 2010 11:10AM Strigoi said

Twitch caters to the console gaming crowd, with the abundance of FPS and action games they sport. I very much prefer a more strategic approach to games. However, most MMOs nowadays are over-simplified and offer few (if any) strategy options to the smart player.

If games were more open and rewarded creativity and skill more actively, the genre would benefit as a whole.

Posted: May 4th 2010 11:38AM Stormwaltz said

I don't see the two styles as incompatible. I like both, depending on my mood.

What makes or breaks it for me is that online twitch games are nearly always PvP-oriented shooters. I don't enjoy PvP.

Posted: May 4th 2010 2:03PM kasapina said

I really dislike all the micromanagement in strategy games (which, while not exactly twitch reflexes, does involve a lot of fast clicking). When I am playing a strategy, I want to plan, to have tactical battles where flanking the enemy is more important than being able to play 3 units that hit and run the entire game.
Oh, but we're talking MMO's here. This genre, in my opinion, needs to have a bit more action. No, I don't want battles where I'm at my absolute reflexes' limits, but I don't want to lean back and press the skills in an order I've been using since the latest patch, and thus have already memorized. Alas, MMOs also need a bit more strategy. Dodging, parrying and blocking have a lot of potential to be fun - and also add some strategical thinking paired with twitch.

Posted: May 4th 2010 2:08PM oxlar said

And thus we come to the crux of the downfall of my intrest in MMORPGs today. But not just MMO but almost all rpgs. Its funny how you read about what new innovative design these companies are going to bring to the genre. They all say 'We are going in a new direction by making it an 'ACTION' rpg. Well if almost everyone is saying the same thing and the lion's share of the games are 'action' rpgs today, wouldn't that make it the norm now and not the 'new' direction?

Personally I long for the old direction. There is a reason I don't own a console like Xbox. Whats sad is that playstyle has permeated the CPU platform to the point of tedium. Most games I find for the PC today are dumbed down to the point of nauseum.

While Action MMOs may not have the complete console feel with restricted input and interfaces, they have definitely gone away from the traditional representation of an MMORPG. Like someone said the purpose of the RPG is to use the skill of the character and not the skill of the button masher. And while there is a certain amount of developement of the understanding of the class and its abilities by the player, an rpg IS about the advancement of that class and its abilities, NOT the abilities of the button masher. I wish people would look back to table top RPGs for guidance and understanding of their roots.

I may just be an old fogey, but the games being produced today pale in comparison to those a decade ago. I'll take a BG2 over dragon age any day. I guess thats one reason why I like places like Good Old Games.

Posted: May 5th 2010 3:39AM claytondora said

I think "twitch" works for MMO's. If blended the rpg elements are sufficiently present, then I feel the game experience is enhanced by it. Having more immerse and direct control of my avatars actions is fine by me.

Posted: May 6th 2010 4:52PM (Unverified) said

I perfer a feeling of virtual reality more than either reflex or slow stradegy. That said, between the two I would like to see more slow stradegy. In fact, I would like to see turned based. Slient Storm was a single player game that got the concept of turn based combat/RPG exactly right.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014